Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting value for money?

• 02-06-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know the thread title is preposterous considering I'm with eircom, so let's think of it in relative terms, shall we? I'm on an 8MB NGB connection, and my actual download speeds never exceed more than about 800 kb/s... surely something is off about this? Here's a speedtest I performed just now...

834088164.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your download is 6.85Mbps, not 800kbps? If you're thinking 800kBps (that's kilo-bytes), then multiply that by 8 to get it in bits per second.

8Mbps is 1000kBps, so you're not too far off. You'll never actually get 8Mbps anyway, so don't even think you can. Anything approaching 7Mbps would be considered excellent.

As for value for money, since you're with eircom I assume you're paying through the nose for that. Up to you to decide if it's good value or not. I'm sure the same can be found elsewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ruicosta10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know the thread title is preposterous considering I'm with eircom, so let's think of it in relative terms, shall we? I'm on an 8MB NGB connection, and my actual download speeds never exceed more than about 800 kb/s... surely something is off about this? Here's a speedtest I performed just now...

834088164.png

You're not on 8MB (Megabyte), that sort of speed is reserved for fiber optic lines and the like. What you are on is 8Mb (Megabit). Getting around 800KB/s means your line is performing just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

You shouldn't expect to get the full speed anyway. That's why they call it "up to 8Mb" broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi all.

Speedtest.net results are guides and cannot be taken as gospel, unless you have deactivated all other applications that may affect the results.

When downloading, you should see a "transfer rate".

This will be a true indication of what you "download" speeds are.

Bear in mind, if you have addons to your browser, or the horrible Vista Sidebar running, they will affect the speeds.

I use this as an accurate test.

Type ftp.esat.net into your browser, then start to download the 500Mb file, let it settle for a minute or two.

Then you should see a true indication of your download speed.

Don't forget to cancel the download once you get your transfer rate stable.

Transer rates are 10% of your download speed

Example;

6Mb/s download speed - transfer rate <> 600Kb/s
    7Mb/s download speed - transfer tate <> 700Kb/s

and so on.

good luck

Advertisement