Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firmware update on HTC Desire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For those with WiFi problems i'd recommend flashing the newest radio on your phone.

http://android.adamg.co.uk/bravo/radio/32.37.00.32U_4.06.00.16_2.zip

That is an official HTC radio so don't worry about it being buggy or whatever.

To install the radio...
    Rename the zip to update.zip and put it on the root of your sdcard...

1. Turn off your phone and restart it with the Volume down button held down.
    2. Use the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY and then then push the power button (Don't hold it, just push the button)
    3. Push either Volume up or Volume down and you'll be sent to the Android recovery menu. Go straight to "Flash zip from Sdcard" (DO NOT SELECT WIPE!) and choose update.zip
    4. Push the trackpad and the radio will start flashing.
    5. The phone will restart and your new radio will have been installed.

If you need any help or clarification just post back in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

To PAMG, is that to flash the radio as in fm receiver or as in the radio chip for all wireless communications?

My WiFi works perfect most of time but seems to time out if left connected but not active for over an hour or so.
    Disconnecting and reconnecting does the trick.
    Worth installing this so?
    Does phone have to be rooted?
    Thanks,
    Keith

Edit: I only installed firmware now so I should wait and see how that goes first. Didn't read your post properly 1st...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Installing update now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Check out the camera, looks to have more functionality from what I remember from using it last time.
    Far more options and settings.

Also noticed in messages it now shows the number of texts in a thread.

Was Google search widget in the list before too?

Keith186 wrote: »
    To PAMG, is that to flash the radio as in fm receiver or as in the radio chip for all wireless communications?

My WiFi works perfect most of time but seems to time out if left connected but not active for over an hour or so.
    Disconnecting and reconnecting does the trick.
    Worth installing this so?
    Does phone have to be rooted?
    Thanks,
    Keith

Edit: I only installed firmware now so I should wait and see how that goes first. Didn't read your post properly 1st...
    Radio as in for all wireless communications. It may increase battery life too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Rooted phones don't get OTA updates. If you want to update to the latest stock version you need to download it from HTC, it's called the RUU file and it works as a manual update.

I thought this was the case as well but today i was promted to update my desire via OTW and mine has been rooted since day 1.

I thought this was the case as well but today i was promted to update my desire via OTW and mine has been rooted since day 1.
    You must be on the stock rooted rom I take it?

I'm on the latest build of the MoDaCo rom at the moment so that's why I don't get OTA updates. Doesn't bother me at all. If I really want an update I can just create my own rom with the update.

Strictly saying, whether a phone is rooted or not has no bearing on OTA updates. It's whether it's a stock rom or a custom rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Keith186 wrote: »
    Check out the camera, looks to have more functionality from what I remember from using it last time.
    Far more options and settings.

Also noticed in messages it now shows the number of texts in a thread.

Was Google search widget in the list before too?

Mine seems to run a little faster oddly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For those with WiFi problems i'd recommend flashing the newest radio on your phone.

http://android.adamg.co.uk/bravo/radio/32.37.00.32U_4.06.00.16_2.zip

That is an official HTC radio so don't worry about it being buggy or whatever.

To install the radio...
    Rename the zip to update.zip and put it on the root of your sdcard...

1. Turn off your phone and restart it with the Volume down button held down.
    2. Use the volume keys to navigate to RECOVERY and then then push the power button (Don't hold it, just push the button)
    3. Push either Volume up or Volume down and you'll be sent to the Android recovery menu. Go straight to "Flash zip from Sdcard" (DO NOT SELECT WIPE!) and choose update.zip
    4. Push the trackpad and the radio will start flashing.
    5. The phone will restart and your new radio will have been installed.

If you need any help or clarification just post back in the thread.
    Tried this but when I select the recovery menu and press the power button (step 2), I get the htc logo for a few seconds, then a graphic of the phone itself with a big red warning triangle/exclamation mark.

Only way to clear it is to pull the battery after which the phone will start up normally when its reinserted and powered on.

Any ideas?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Tried this but when I select the recovery menu and press the power button (step 2), I get the htc logo for a few seconds, then a graphic of the phone itself with a big red warning triangle/exclamation mark.

Only way to clear it is to pull the battery after which the phone will start up normally when its reinserted and powered on.

Any ideas?
    You've gotten to Recovery mode the next step you need to do is to go to the stock Recovery menu. To do this you can either push a custom recovery to your phone (Which isn't neccessary at all for a stock radio flash) or you can push VOL-Down or VOL-Up in Recovery Mode and you will get a blue Recovery menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You've gotten to Recovery mode the next step you need to do is to go to the stock Recovery menu. To do this you can either push a custom recovery to your phone (Which isn't neccessary at all for a stock radio flash) or you can push VOL-Down or VOL-Up in Recovery Mode and you will get a blue Recovery menu.

Just a quick reply to thank PAMG for his help tonight - what started out as a "simple" wireless update turned into a 4 hour rooting and custom rom marathon! :p

Really appreciate your patience and effort with getting this all sorted! I may well be back to you once I look into this custom rom stuff some more ;)

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

You must be on the stock rooted rom I take it?

I'm on the latest build of the MoDaCo rom at the moment so that's why I don't get OTA updates. Doesn't bother me at all. If I really want an update I can just create my own rom with the update.

Strictly saying, whether a phone is rooted or not has no bearing on OTA updates. It's whether it's a stock rom or a custom rom.

Makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Erm, where's my HTC calendar widget with agenda view gone?
    Update applied yesterday evening, and just noticed the widget I use most is gone from the phone. It worked perfectly with half a dozen google calendars.
    Anyone else notice it missing?

Clock and weather widget is missing from my homepage too.
    Surely someone would have mentioned this if they'd seen it too?
    Stock from Meteor, just this update applied OTA.

OK, they're back after a restart and battery removal

Advertisement