Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black or blue ink?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I know this is only a small thing, but does it matter if you use black or blue ink in your exams? I've heard it said that black ink is most appropriate for formal work. Do you think it matters? I'm just thinking of some finicky old examiner who's corrected about 4000 scripts by the time he gets to mine and marks me less favorably because of it! Paranoia!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think most people do their Leaving cert in blue ink. Black ink is only an issue if you're filling out something that will likely be photocopied as blue ink comes out faint when photocopied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm gonna do mine in blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Whatever you do don't do it in red anyways. :pac:

Black or blue is sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I do all my writing in blue if I have a choice,just prefer it but there's really no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I hate blue ink so I always write in black.

I remember in one of my classes last week one of the teachers said that a recent study had shown that students who write in black and with a 'fancy' pen (apparently they can tell :P) get higher grades??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I prefer black ink - it seems more significant on the page than blue :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I prefer black ink. I always use a "fancy" pen during exams, it just gives off a slightly better impression. More imposing on the white background if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I prefer black ink. I always use a "fancy" pen during exams, it just gives off a slightly better impression. More imposing on the white background if you know what I mean.

what sort of fancy pens?:L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It makes no difference to the corrector, just don't use red or green.
    If your pen is dark enough to be visible through the back of the page, write on every second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I can only use blue pen when using for a short period of time, for example I write quotes in blue. Any other time I write exclusively in black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rubiee

I think either blue or black is acceptable, whichever you are most comfortable using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Apparently, black biro looks better if your writing is poor, if you try it you should notice a difference, obviously it isn't the same for all of us. My writing isn't great so black for me:rolleyes:

MaggieNF wrote: »
    what sort of fancy pens?:L
    I dunno. Anything from a uniball for €5 to a Cross pen for €100.

I actually used a Cross Pen for my English JC exam. :pac:

It gave my writing a sort of "professional" look. It's a bit hard to explain exactly but it just looked very impressive on paper. Kind of easier to write it with as well, moved smoother over the paper and I could have sworn I wrote a bit faster than I usually did.

All in all though, things like your pen doesn't matter all that much unless you're absolutely dire at English and need anything to give off a good impression.

Here's the pen for those interested :pac:
    http://www.cross.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?MSCSProfile=983BB0CC620F5E6D8FDE26829663AF16588EC312FEAAAF1AB644AF24AC06CDDE791979CC97A3204F7BDCD077749480574B41DAAC90B3EA0943F114FF10E7FAC464B96036FAAFD318C79B2F20B9FBE0167EB3805477B53F0B806A18C51F88B2F1672E392C09CF0F7CDF9D6D3F3EF52D852D3A63AD67364AEC6E672F142F2C7D27BE9941F62A8F522C&id=502%28Cross%29

Finical wrote: »
    I'm going to buy that pen, will be sorted for the LC then!!! :D
    It's the secret to getting all As :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

It's the secret to getting all As :P
    We better keep it secret than, take down the link. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tibbers

Black ink creates greater contrast with the white page than blue ink, therefore, is more legible.
    Blue ink just happened to become a standard although black ink is a great improvement.

Same as traditional bubble gum. The pink colour comes from the rubber first used, it just got stuck (no poor pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Doesn't matter a damn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

All I ever use for anything are blue bic biros. I HATE writing with black.

Dont use red- thats what they correct with. Some people say write quotes etc in red but I'd rather not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'll be using black but not a biro because I always get such an ache in my hand with those. In exams I change pen every now and then for different questions so I don't get a blister because the pens are different shapes wth pressure on different spots same colour ink obviously. Seems to work try it in english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Mr. Plow wrote: »
    I know this is only a small thing, but does it matter if you use black or blue ink in your exams? I've heard it said that black ink is most appropriate for formal work. Do you think it matters? I'm just thinking of some finicky old examiner who's corrected about 4000 scripts by the time he gets to mine and marks me less favorably because of it! Paranoia!?

doesn't matter once it's legible, but again don't use red or green, we use those to correct. We seriously don't sit there pondering the merits of blue v black when there are 400 papers to correct.

And to the odd student who thinks writing in pink/purple/orange gel pens is cool .... don't do it, it's a pain in the arse to read and means I have to correct in a diffferent colour so i can see the marks.

oh I suppose while I'm at it. DON'T USE TIPPEX. It takes too long to dry, it smudges, the pages get stuck together.

Don't spend half the day obliterating an answer with your pen because you've decided it's wrong, a line through it will suffice. You might even get marks for it if it is still legible. You might have decided 'that was a really stupid answer, I don't want the examiner to think i'm stupid'. We really don't care. You are just another number. We don't know who you are. By the time I've gotten to the end of correcting your paper I've forgotten about it (unless it was particularly comical! :D )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

oh I suppose while I'm at it. DON'T USE TIPPEX.

This cannot be said enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hi thanks for the advice! What about the mouse tape Tippex? The one that you can write over instantly. Normally I just cross answers out, but in Accounting where neatness is important I don't want to have to cross out answers and try and squeeze in my correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Personal favourite here ;)

Hi thanks for the advice! What about the mouse tape Tippex? The one that you can write over instantly. Normally I just cross answers out, but in Accounting where neatness is important I don't want to have to cross out answers and try and squeeze in my correction.

Well ya that stuff is better and pretty instant, just don't forget to put your figures in again

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Personal favourite here ;)

No Leaving Cert should be without one :D

But for that price I'd expect it to be able to write by itself and be the fountain (pen) of all knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Some people say write quotes etc in red but I'd rather not do that.

I thought they were supposed to be in Italics?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I thought they were supposed to be in Italics?

Well my writing is nearly all in italics anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Do you have to do your quotes in a different colour? Can you not just write them in the same colour?

Also, for poetry, do you put the quotes on a separate line, or do you put it on the same line? It's just that in Irish you would answer like this, leaving the quote stand out. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do for English.

blahblahblah
    "quote
    more quote
    more quote
    end of quote"
    blahblahblahblah

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Well my writing is nearly all in italics anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Do you have to do your quotes in a different colour? Can you not just write them in the same colour?

Also, for poetry, do you put the quotes on a separate line, or do you put it on the same line? It's just that in Irish you would answer like this, leaving the quote stand out. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do for English.

blahblahblah
    "quote
    more quote
    more quote
    end of quote"
    blahblahblahblah

i do that for english, teacher said it was a good idea, like have the paragraph explaining it go to next line and put in quote.

• Advertisement

You don't have to write it in a different colour or skip a line or whatever. Quotes go in quotation marks. That's the only rule.

Advertisement