Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test when renewing licence?

• 02-06-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I passed my driving test on Monday after many attempts. My ADI felt i was hard done by before when I failed as he felt I was a good, safe and capable driver. Thankfully it's all over now

Yet I was wondering what other people think of having a test or some sort of a refresher course to do when renewing your licence. I can't see myself as being totally up to date on new rules of the road or being as alert and careful when driving as I am now in ten years time.

Additionally, my 93 going on 94 year old grandmother has just been granted a 3 year licence, despite having cateracts on her eyes and despite the fact that she is barely of sound mind. My father has attempted numerous times to stop her driving as he fears that she will have another accident (about 5 years ago she knocked a woman down and was sued for it), but has no support from the rest of the family for it and has been at war with his siblings over it as they are too soft to tell her that she's not fit to drive.

She never sat a driving test as it was not necessary in the 1950's when she learned to drive, and has no idea of the rules of the road whatsoever (she often pulls over to the opposite lane when slowing down to enter her driveway), yet all she needed to renew her licence was a letter from her doctor. I think it;s a disgrace considering all the times I had to sit my test and I'm only in my 20s. Does anyone else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's definitely a tough situation to be in, and i do see where you're coming from but to be honest, i wouldn't be too happy if my kids suddenly decided it was time to take my license away when i got old. So long as she has a license there really is nothing you can do except talk to her about it.

Although i do know what you mean and can relate, as i had a similar situation where my grandmother actually decided herself to stop driving her car, as she had had a minor stroke and was having some trouble with movement.

I think the fact that your grandmother never sat a test is really irrelevant in this situation. And as for testing every 10 years, it has been discussed here before, but i really can't see it happening tbh, for lots of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

I know, I'd say the main reason is popular objection

I still think it should be necessary to have a refresher course or something similar every couple of years though, as the longer people have been driving the less they tend to be aware of how to operate at certain junctions and situations

Advertisement