Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City & County War Dead

• 02-06-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just to bring to everyone's attention that a new book has just been released at its book launch at City Hall in Cork yesterday evening covering the casualties of Cork city and county,the book also includes many different subjects other than just the casualty list and is definitely worthy of been checked out.The list includes Cork & the Great War,Trench Warfare,the Royal Flying Corps,The Chaplaincy Service,Cork Bands & the Great War amongst others.Nearly 650 pages. ISBN 978-0-9562443-1-4

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/book-records-sacrifice-of-those-who-died-in-war-121327.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i got this book the other day and it is a big book packed with info and pics. got mine for e25 second hand but its e40 new so i got a bargan. i have medals from 3 lads from Cork KIA in WW1 so was hoping to find out more info but just the usual stuff. still a good book all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi RDF,e25 is certainly a bargain for that.Would you mind telling me what three men's names are on the medals.Also to let you know that Tom Burnell has also another War Dead book released called the Offaly War Dead,this is the fourth book in the series with more to follow and Is also worth having,it should be retailing around e20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

the KIAs are
    John Kenneally 4129 7th Batt Leinster Regiment KIA age 39 15th september 1916 his younger brother Robert was 2nd Batt Leinsters killed 20 October 1914.
    Serjeant Patrick Flynn 9572 2nd Batt Irish Rifles 26 October 1914 age 20
    Michael Boylan 1st Batt Irish Guards 15 September1916.

i have seen those 4 war dead books and hope to pick them up at some stage.

Thanks RDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Lads.
    Take it from me, it is cheaper to buy the War Dead books on ebay than it is in the shops, and that incudes postage to your house. Think recession.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Will be launched 28 November, most likely in Dungarvan Fort. It covers the 1125 Waterford casualties who died during ww1.
    I am happy to do lookups for Offaly, Tipp, Laois, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Waterford, Wicklow, Kerry and Clare. All of which are now logged. Clare, Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois are completed but yet to be published. At least three of these wll be available next year.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Found this headstone Tom in St.Lawrences in Limerick if it's of any use to you.Probably too late at this stage.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2744034

Thanks Arnhem...but as you say, too late. Appreciate the thought though.

RYAN, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 3rd Bn. Date of Death: 25-6-1916. Service No: 9912. Born in Nenagh. Enlisted in Limerick while living in Cloughjordan. Died of wounds. Age at Death, 21. Supplementary information; Son of John Ryan, New Street, Lismore, County Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 30693. Cemetery: Limerick (St Lawrence’s) Catholic Cemetery, County Limerick. He is not in any of the newspapers.

Advertisement