Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I seen her...that is to say I SAW her

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Way ahead of you horse, you are not alone.

Fcuking drives the nads clean out of my ballbag does that guy, Mr Houghton.

I read through those threads with interest. Very entertaining. I wonder if the average boardsie would be less sympathetic to RH's questionable grammatical talents if he wasn't responsible for "those" two great footballing moments. We'll never know.

Personally, I just can't buy the, "he's a footballer, do you expect him to be able to speak properly too?" argument. Because, yes, I do. I expect anyone paid by the national broadcaster to offer stimulating audio to complement the video, to be able to communicate intelligently in English in a manner that doesn't result in me eating my own fist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I read through those threads with interest. Very entertaining. I wonder if the average boardsie would be less sympathetic to RH's questionable grammatical talents if he wasn't responsible for "those" two great footballing moments. We'll never know.

Personally, I just can't buy the, "he's a footballer, do you expect him to be able to speak properly too?" argument. Because, yes, I do. I expect anyone paid by the national broadcaster to offer stimulating audio to complement the video, to be able to communicate intelligently in English in a manner that doesn't result in me eating my own fist.

Peter, we would be in the minority here, of course you would get that response.

Me, and maybe you, would perhaps take the view:

#1.. the Guy is on National Tv

#2.. he is being payed fairly well.

#3.. Standards matter.

Therefore after the contract was signed and the first live session occurred, and to anyone with a modicum of grammatical sense Mr Houghton was a disaster, I would take the following action.

Call in Mr Houghton and give him a sheet of A4 which would say:

past tense of do is did

past tense of see is saw

It's not 'he should have went' it's 'he should have gone'

Surely someone out there gives a fcuk?

I certainly do.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

As a public service, could the previous two posters outline the ways in which "I seen" and "I saw" impairs understanding, insofar as it relates to football commentary?

As a public service, could the previous two posters outline the ways in which "I seen" and "I saw" impairs understanding, insofar as it relates to football commentary?

Of course it doesn't impair understanding of a football commentary,however understanding a football commentary is only one aspect of broadcasting,and one would expect the National Public Service Broadcaster of an English speaking country to be able to provide broadcasters and pundits who are competent in the correct articulation of the language to those who pay for their existance.

If I genuinely want to listen to bad grammar, poor diction,staccato delivery and general bulldust I will tune in to 'Off the ball'

I don't contribute to their operation so I can't complain, I just use the option open to me, switch off.

However, I do contribute to the funding of RTE so therefore expect that they provide broadcasters who can speak correctly.

It's that simple;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Me I, and maybe you, would perhaps take the view:

#1.. the Guy is on National Tv.

#2.. he is being payed paid (although I think payed might be a valid US spelling variant) fairly well.

#3.. Standards matter.

Sorry Flutt, I couldn't resist :D

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    Sorry Flutt, I couldn't resist :D

that's ok:D

I'll take a hit on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

As a public service? Certainly.

"I seen" is not English. It may mean something in some other language but it means nothing in my native language. Now, it just so happens that I have a limited understanding of several other tongues and I recognise, from my rudimentary Skanger, that Mr Houghton is attempting to communicate with the fee paying audience using a combination of English and Skanger.

When I have no other option than to decipher this hybrid I have to break down each sentence, replacing each non-English word with an English option that would seem to fit the structure and context most appropriately and then replay it back in my head looking to deduce the original message that our stumpy little pal was trying to convey. All this takes time.

It would be just so much easier if he could limit himself to English in the future and this linguistic mess could be avoided entirely.

Innit?

What has me beaten into a cocked hat is that Mr Houghton is very articulate and effusive until he comes to the tenses.Generally is word perfect in everything else!

Cannot figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Benny Lava wrote: »
    Maybe this has always been the case but it appears that more and more people are abandoning proper grammar in favour of these horrid phrases.

SO many people are saying "I seen" instead of "I saw" and "I done" instead of "I did".

Has anyone else noticed an increase?

I've noticed it a lot on this site, if i said 'I seen that' in front of any of my older family members or friends they'd certainly cringe. Its awful grammar, I think the moderators should have some sort of grammar moderation. :mad: super annoying.

Advertisement