Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a motherboard

Options
  • 02-06-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit CPU and a 4870X2 Radeon graphics card.

I was wondering could anyone recommend me a good motherboard for these. I've been told that because my card is an X2 that I will need a crossfire motherboard to take advantage of the cards full potential.

Any advice would be great,

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit CPU and a 4870X2 Radeon graphics card.

I was wondering could anyone recommend me a good motherboard for these. I've been told that because my card is an X2 that I will need a crossfire motherboard to take advantage of the cards full potential.

Any advice would be great,

thanks!

You will not need a crossfire motherboard, crossfire is for running two or more cards at once, that 4870X2 is a dual-GPU card, so although it's like two cards combined, it only needs one slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Anyway, here is a good MoBo: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145748

It does support Crossfire, so in the future, you could get a second 4870X2 and run them together (theoretically).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you want to spend less, any good-brand (Asus/Gigabyte/MSI etc.) P43/45 mobo that takes DDR2 (I assume that's what you've got already) and preferably has heatsinks on the VRMs (next to the rear I/O section; indicates the board can set and survive decent overclocks even on high-heat quads) should do the trick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

You will not need a crossfire motherboard, crossfire is for running two or more cards at once, that 4870X2 is a dual-GPU card, so although it's like two cards combined, it only needs one slot.

I've just been doing some testing in the Catalyst Control Center while running games in window mode. Selecting GPU1 I can clearly see that the activity is up in the high 90's, then when I select GPU2 its a 0% doing nothing.

It just seems very odd!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I've just been doing some testing in the Catalyst Control Center while running games in window mode. Selecting GPU1 I can clearly see that the activity is up in the high 90's, then when I select GPU2 its a 0% doing nothing.

It just seems very odd!

Some games just cannot use X-Fire or Multiple GPU cards so I would not worry too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even fewer games support CrossFire in windowed modes :o

Advertisement