Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Draft Game

• 02-06-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I brought this up a while back in this thread. Thinking of pressing ahead with it if people are interested. The Soccer Draft would be similar in ways the the annual Pro Wrestling draft. Those of you not familiar with it should know that participants are expected to be committed to the game where a lot of write ups take place.

In the Pro Wrestling draft, participants get 15 picks each. At the end of these picks people write up house shows (usually 3-5 of them) which lead to one final write up. The contestants then vote for their 5 favourite shows, giving us an overall winner.

It would be purely a fan fiction/fantasy thing consisting of 20 players. I wont play myself but I will run it, hopefully with the help of one or two others.

Before each round there would be a random draw to decide what order the picks will be in. In certain rounds there will be certain stipulations meaning you can only pick certain teams. It would be boring if everybody had the exact same teams so it might suit to allow one team be chosen a maximum of three times so at least that way, everyone is guaranteed one major club.

The game itself would ideally start the day that the transfer window ends so at least then people will have a clearer idea of the teams they want in their league.

At the end of the draft picks I would put forward a list of freebies/legends that have become available for a transfer. Two of these per player would then be taken on a first come, first served basis. I will decide on the list of players based on the teams that have not been picked.

Once all of the picks and transfers are finalized it would then be a case of each contestant writing up a season. This would not have to include all of the scores/details/goal differences etc unless the player wants but could be almost a written version of premiership years where we are brought through the season month by month. Players could add scandals from tabloids, how teams have faired in European competition etc. The final write up would the final quarter of the season where the climax comes.

These are just some of the ideas that have been floating through my head. I don't think it would be akin to anything the soccer forum has seen or done before and obviously, it wont be everyone's cup of tea either. If people think this is a runner or have any ideas as to how it could be run then please feel free to share :)

V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We did a draft before (Lloyd ran it) and it was excellent. Must be nearly two years ago at this stage.

I'll take part anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im in with bells on...what an odd exprecion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You can't ever escape the games :pac: Might take part if I have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'd be up for it fo' sho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In like Flynn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

hell yes, i'm in.

i looked on in envy two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SlickRic wrote:
    hell yes, i'm in.

i looked on in envy two years ago.

A great team won that one as I recall. :cool:

I think this sounds good but I'm unsure how it would work. Is the aim to pick football teams rather than players?
    Voltwad wrote:
    In certain rounds there will be certain stipulations meaning you can only pick certain teams. It would be boring if everybody had the exact same teams so it might suit to allow one team be chosen a maximum of three times so at least that way, everyone is guaranteed one major club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Sounds good to me.

id assume that is more akin to FF rules i.e you cant pick an all united/pool/etc team you are limited to picking 3 players per club. The stipulation might be your players can only come from bottom half teams from last year or newly promoted ones for example in that round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If people would rather do players than clubs I'm sure we could do that too. Personally I think clubs would be more interesting as then the legends and freebies would be added to the mix too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

last one was a joke.

Essien >> Butt pfft

still I'll play this one but only if it's more realistic.

Iago wrote: »
    last one was a joke.

Essien >> Butt pfft

still I'll play this one but only if it's more realistic.
    Under those circumstances maybe we could give clubs a whirl rather than players.

I'm not understanding how choosing clubs would work? Is it clubs across Europe that would be chosen and then we would make a league out of them?

I'm not understanding how choosing clubs would work? Is it clubs across Europe that would be chosen and then we would make a league out of them?
    Clubs from anywhere in the world really. Thought the OP made it pretty clear how it would work =/

Voltwad wrote: »
    Clubs from anywhere in the world really. Thought the OP made it pretty clear how it would work =/

if someone picked Forest and someone else picked Utd could both managers have Keane in the team?

just an example

if someone picked Forest and someone else picked Utd could both managers have Keane in the team?

just an example
    Hell no, hence I said wait for the transfer window to end. But if Roy Keane was available in the list of freebies/legends then he could be taken up by anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In for the win

Even though I have no idea what it is.

Your saying we're picking teams?
    But then we're picking players also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

In!

The one a couple of years back was a great read from the outside looking in. Should keep it similar to that I think

Frisbee wrote: »
    In for the win

Even though I have no idea what it is.

Your saying we're picking teams?
    But then we're picking players also?
    Well once the transfer window is shut, the squads will be what they are but you'll have a chance to add a handful of freebies and legends once the teams are picked. You can then put them on any of your chosen teams or even have them managing if you want

Well once the transfer window is shut, the squads will be what they are but you'll have a chance to add a handful of freebies and legends once the teams are picked. You can then put them on any of your chosen teams or even have them managing if you want

So everyone picks a league of 20 teams consisting of the players playing for them as of August 31st.

Then after that you have the possibility to add a select number of players/legends to any of the teams in your league.

Then you write up how your league plays out?

• Advertisement

So everyone picks a league of 20 teams consisting of the players playing for them as of August 31st.

Then after that you have the possibility to add a select number of players/legends to any of the teams in your league.

Then you write up how your league plays out?
    Basically yeah. With a lot of leeway in how the write ups can be done of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't understand the aim of this?

Des wrote: »
    I don't understand the aim of this?
    It's just for fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

ya i'm in

i would vote a simpler game, if i may.

just pick players.

i didn't realise it was teams when i first glanced at it. i assumed it was players. it sounds a little bit more compicated than it needs to be.

maybe i'm stupid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I like the sound of it but I don't really understand :p

SlickRic wrote: »
    i would vote a simpler game, if i may.

just pick players.

i didn't realise it was teams when i first glanced at it. i assumed it was players. it sounds a little bit more compicated than it needs to be.

maybe i'm stupid though.
    But if people just picked players it would be kind of boring IMO

I would agree with SlickRic that picking players would be better as imo the interest would wane if everyone had a league of 20 teams.

Maybe I'm picking this up wrong but if there are say 15 or 20 participants and each one has a league of 20 teams, and then has to write about it, wouldn't we be talking about having to keep track of hundreds of teams? I'm not sure it could work.

On a related note, if this would kick off in August as I think was said, how about in the meantime also doing a World Cup Draft? Perhaps with every player who ever played in the tournament being eligible to be picked?

Good idea? Bad idea?

On a related note, if this would kick off in August as I think was said, how about in the meantime also doing a World Cup Draft? Perhaps with every player who ever played in the tournament being eligible to be picked?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Awesome Idea, I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im in too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i'm in if there's still room

Edit: But i have no idea what the rules are based on reading this thread twice.

I'd suggest a similar style to the PL draft, but maybe broaden it out a bit.

Maybe International football draft (only pick players with more than 30 caps or something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

But if people just picked players it would be kind of boring IMO

Wrong. The PL draft was one of the high points of this forum

I would agree with SlickRic that picking players would be better as imo the interest would wane if everyone had a league of 20 teams.

Maybe I'm picking this up wrong but if there are say 15 or 20 participants and each one has a league of 20 teams, and then has to write about it, wouldn't we be talking about having to keep track of hundreds of teams? I'm not sure it could work.

Good idea? Bad idea?
    Maybe it was a bit ambitious on my part. But after people have picked their players we're just left with squads to vote for am I right? Just seems boring to me.

Maybe it was a bit ambitious on my part. But after people have picked their players we're just left with squads to vote for am I right? Just seems boring to me.

The way we did it last time was that when all squads were picked there was a random draw and two teams were put against each other and people voted to see who would win in that game and explain their reason why.
    The winner would go through to the next round where there would be another draw and so on.

• Advertisement

The way we did it last time was that when all squads were picked there was a random draw and two teams were put against each other and people voted to see who would win in that game and explain their reason why.
    The winner would go through to the next round where there would be another draw and so on.
    Oh sweet, yeah that sounds grand. And would people still agree to certain stipulations where you can only pick certain players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm in if there's room. I've done a NFL one for the last 2 years and it's good fun.We pick a 53 man roster and have it as a game every year with voting.30 rounds of drafting with free agency and retainees.I can help run this one if needed.

Oh sweet, yeah that sounds grand. And would people still agree to certain stipulations where you can only pick certain players?

Well last time it was only PL players who had played over 40 PL games. And it was their impact on the PL only that was taken into account, so if someone was awful in the PL but then went to Serie A/La Liga and was awesome there they would have to be regarded as a poor player for the purposes of the draft.

Ya that would put a different slant on this years one. Say if there is 11 rounds, 8 regular rounds where you pick anyone who is eligible, but with 3 specially stipulated rounds thrown in, for example a round where you can only pick Irish players

Cool. Well I'd be more than happy to run a World Cup one too. Just need to finalize a set of rules that everyone's happy with and also one or two people to help run it :)

• Advertisement

Cool. Well I'd be more than happy to run a World Cup one too. Just need to finalize a set of rules that everyone's happy with and also one or two people to help run it :)

Here's the thread from the last one:

Initial Thread

Also I'll be more than happy to help out with the Mod side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What about doing it in European football, 18 player draft, and then follow those players during the season, have a write up at the end of the season and voting.Having it in European football and not just the Premiership would limit casualties of players being transferred, as there aren't many top players who get transferred out of Europe.

Here's the thread from the last one:

Initial Thread

Also I'll be more than happy to help out with the Mod side of things.
    Fair dues. I'll try work up a rough draft of rules based on the World Cup and PM them to you. Maybe lock this thread then and we'll start from scratch when the rules are set.

Fair dues. I'll try work up a rough draft of rules based on the World Cup and PM them to you. Maybe lock this thread then and we'll start from scratch when the rules are set.

Sure just post them up here when you've got them, then I'll lock the thread up and you can start it proper.

Okay here's what I've come up with as a starting point. Just need to decide how many players we're willing to have. I'm going to suggest 32 but if people think that this is too high a number then I've no problem cutting it to 20 and introducing byes in the knockout rounds.

Boards.ie World Cup Draft

Based on the original Premier League draft idea (credit to Lloyd) and inspired by the Pro Wrestling Draft I give you the Boards.ie World Cup Draft Game. People who are interested would agree to pick footballers from the final squads of the 32 teams that have qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. It would then be at the discretion of each participant to select a formation for their chosen 11.
    Once we have all of the places taken, there will be a draw made to decide the order in which picks are made. This draw will be done once and will be the same for every round. Participants will have 24 hours to make their pick. Furthermore, there will be another draw after each player has picked his XI, putting people against each other in a knockout tournament where players will be required to argue why their team would win. This will be then be put to an open vote, you will be at the discretion of the soccer forum.

There will be 8 normal rounds where you can pick any of the players from the squads announced but myself and the others running the game will decide on 3 rounds that will contain a stipulation limiting your choice and forcing you to research a choice a bit.

Missing a go means you must wait until the end of the round to make it. If you miss two goes then you are automatically eliminated from the competition. When someone has completed a pick, they should pm the next in line to inform them that it is their turn. When picking, feel free to add in a brief paragraph about the player and what he will add to your team. While this is not required, I would ask that each pick be accompanied by a picture of the player at the very least.

You will be restricted to a maximum of three players from any one nation, akin to the Fantasy Premier League Rules.

With regards to assessing someone else’s team, you should take into account their performance at international level as well as their league form in the run up to the tournament.

Remember to play nice. Chances are everyone will have their preferences taken by somebody else at some point and in circumstances where you think someone has made a weak choice and you feel the want or need to stress it to them, do so with decorum and without resorting to one-line insults.

There may be a temptation to discuss who you chose your pick over but it would be smarter to not mention other available picks as to make sure that everyone is fair game.

Now there are plenty of regular posters here who frequent the forum on a daily basis. If you only log on occasionally and either can't or are unwilling to log on more often that is cool - but you will be likely to miss your turn and hold up the process and might be best to give it a miss.

i'd be up for doing the WC one.

Okay here's what I've come up with as a starting point. Just need to decide how many players we're willing to have. I'm going to suggest 32 but if people think that this is too high a number then I've no problem cutting it to 20 and introducing byes in the knockout rounds.

20 players is enough, having 32 players is one for every team in the competition and you'll end up with some very unbalanced teams, I think 20 worked perfectly last time.

Missing a go means you must wait until the end of the round to make it.

I don't think that's really viable as people will have work/holidays etc. over the next few weeks. I think you'd be better off doing it as if you miss your go then after your alloted 24 hours are up the next person in line can pick and you have to get your pick in as soon as you can.

Sounds good Voltwad, although I think 20-24 participants is a better number.. it could go on forever with 32, plus it would seriously dilute the quality of picks available.

I'd also be in favour of reversing the order of the 1st round draw for the 2nd and 3rd rounds as last time in the ABBAABBAABB format, i.e. if I'm first in R1 then I'm 32nd in R2 and R3 and 1st again in R4.

Edit: In anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In. Enjoyed the last one.

20 players is enough, having 32 players is one for every team in the competition and you'll end up with some very unbalanced teams, I think 20 worked perfectly last time.

I don't think that's really viable as people will have work/holidays etc. over the next few weeks. I think you'd be better off doing it as if you miss your go then after your alloted 24 hours are up the next person in line can pick and you have to get your pick in as soon as you can.

Fair enough, 20 it is so. Places will go like goldust :pac: I'm happy enough to go along with that but I do think there should be a yellow and red card system for missing goes.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Sounds good Voltwad, although I think 20-24 participants is a better number.. it could go on forever with 32, plus it would seriously dilute the quality of picks available.

I'd also be in favour of reversing the order of the 1st round draw for the 2nd and 3rd rounds as last time in the ABBAABBAABB format, i.e. if I'm first in R1 then I'm 32nd in R2 and R3 and 1st again in R4.

Edit: In anyway!!

We'll go along with that format so, should give people a better idea of when their turn is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement