Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Draft Game

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Voltwad wrote: »
    Fair enough, 20 it is so. Places will go like goldust :pac: I'm happy enough to go along with that but I do think there should be a yellow and red card system for missing goes.

In theory that's fair enough. But what if someone unexpectedly has no internet access. Be it because they had to double shift work or had an emergency or something? You'd be penalising them for something that was completely out of their control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Frisbee wrote: »
    In theory that's fair enough. But what if someone unexpectedly has no internet access. Be it because they had to double shift work or had an emergency or something? You'd be penalising them for something that was completely out of their control.
    I'm sure in extreme cases we can make exceptions but there needs to be some sort of ruling on this otherwise we'll be waiting ages in between picks and the whole thing will slow up completely. Maybe a three strike system?

I'm sure in extreme cases we can make exceptions but there needs to be some sort of ruling on this otherwise we'll be waiting ages in between picks and the whole thing will slow up completely. Maybe a three strike system?

No, if someone doesn't pick in their 24hr time slot then the game moves on to the next person and it's up to the person who missed their go to make their pick whenever they have, so you'll never be waiting more than 24hrs, except on weekends, it's better off taking a break from Friday-Monday as people often aren't around Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thinks its either 14 or 15 at the minute. A few posted but didn't say they were in. You want to keep a close eye on it so you can stop people looking to get in after you have enough.

Voltwad
    Xavi
    Bounty Hunter
    Archimedes
    LuckyLloyd
    SlickRic
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Cypher_Sounds
    Iago
    Frisbee
    Mr. Guappa
    Bamboozling
    Curry-muff
    Mitch Connor
    Whatawaster
    Titan18
    Eagle eye
    Minto

18 so far. Two spaces left.

Xavi
    Bounty Hunter
    Archimedes
    LuckyLloyd
    SlickRic
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Cypher_Sounds
    Iago
    Frisbee
    Mr. Guappa
    Bamboozling
    Curry-muff
    Mitch Connor
    Whatawaster
    Titan18
    Eagle eye

16 so far. 15 if Frisbee wants to run it with me, if he wants to play though it's no worries I'll find someone else.

I'm in for participating. tbh it doesn't take that much effort to run it, the only thing you'll need to do actively yourself is the bonus rounds you were talking about. It would be easy for you to take part yourself also, Lloyd did.

I'm in for participating. tbh it doesn't take that much effort to run it, the only thing you'll need to do actively yourself is the bonus rounds you were talking about. It would be easy for you to take part yourself also, Lloyd did.
    True. Just don't know if it'd be fair if just I pick the bonus rounds. Perhaps we should decide those now before we start the game. Anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'll give this a go if there's still space...

True. Just don't know if it'd be fair if just I pick the bonus rounds. Perhaps we should decide those now before we start the game. Anyone any suggestions?

Personally I'd suggest leaving out the bonus rounds and have it as a straight draw but it's up to you.

So are we judging a player primarily on his international performances then? But also taking his league performance into account?

For example Navas was great for Sevilla this year, but has made very little international contribution. So where's the yard stick in measuring them if we include both?

Also are we gonna have a minimum caps limit for picking players? e.g. to be picked they have to have made more than ? appearances for their countries senior side?

• Advertisement

Personally I'd suggest leaving out the bonus rounds and have it as a straight draw but it's up to you.

So are we judging a player primarily on his international performances then? But also taking his league performance into account?

For example Navas was great for Sevilla this year, but has made very little international contribution. So where's the yard stick in measuring them if we include both?

Also are we gonna have a minimum caps limit for picking players? e.g. to be picked they have to have made more than ? appearances for their countries senior side?
    Re: Minimum caps, I'd be inclined to lean away from that one.

Also, I think international form should be valued just as much as league form. At the end of the day it's down to the discretion of the voters but I would advise looking for a balance between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just a couple off the top of my head, nothing groundbreaking!

A non-Premiership Round?
    An over 30's or under 21s only round?
    World cup debutants only round?
    Champions League winners only round?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Just a couple off the top of my head, nothing groundbreaking!

A non-Premiership Round?
    An over 30's or under 21s only round?
    World cup debutants only round?
    Champions League winners only round?
    I like the debutants and the age round. Perhaps those two alone would do.

If we for example have round 5 as a WC debutants round and then round 10 as players under 21 or over 30 only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I'm in if there's still room.
    No harm in giving it a go

One more fellas.

One more fellas.

Ok so are you sticking with the original rules then? Or are you gonna let it slide if someone misses a go?

• Advertisement

Ok so are you sticking with the original rules then? Or are you gonna let it slide if someone misses a go?
    We'll let it slide sure. Once we get the final player we can set up a new thread with the game rules, picking order etc in the OP.

We'll let it slide sure. Once we get the final player we can set up a new thread with the game rules, picking order etc in the OP.

Fair dues, I'd suggest doing that as a Discussion thread for discussion of picks etc and then have another thread that is only for people's picks so it doesn't all get jumbled up.

Fair dues, I'd suggest doing that as a Discussion thread for discussion of picks etc and then have another thread that is only for people's picks so it doesn't all get jumbled up.
    Cool.

Last spot open. Any takers?

I like the debutants and the age round. Perhaps those two alone would do.

If we for example have round 5 as a WC debutants round and then round 10 as players under 21 or over 30 only

How about rounds 4 & 7 or rounds 5 & 8?

By the time round 10 comes around decent picks could be limited enough even before a further restiction of age, and people picking late in that round could get stuck with some nobody

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sure just post them up here when you've got them, then I'll lock the thread up and you can start it proper.

just edit the title and turn this into the discussion thread when it starts proper and a picks thread is started, and edit the rules etc into the OP so that everyone will always be able to find them, thats what i do with such things on PW anyway.

im in for the World cup on too if they is a different group involved in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Cool.

Last spot open. Any takers?

Yeah if its still there?

How about rounds 4 & 7 or rounds 5 & 8?

By the time round 10 comes around decent picks could be limited enough even before a further restiction of age, and people picking late in that round could get stuck with some nobody
    Fair point

Gillington wrote: »
    Yeah if its still there?
    Yeah indeed.

All spots taken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There should be a 'No one cap wonders' rule.

Minimum ten caps imo to weed out the Geoff Thomas and Paul Butlers (:pac:) of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Xavi6 wrote: »

Minimum ten caps imo to weed out the Geoff Thomas and Paul Butlers (:pac:) of the world.

Darn.There goes my hopes of Michael Ricketts leading me to fame and glory

I don't know about 10. Maybe 5?

arent these using current squads excluding in potential legends rounds? if they are then a cap rule will limit the really good players we can pick, 1 cap top players people can think of should be rewarded as smart draft picking

arent these using current squads excluding in potential legends rounds? if they are then a cap rule will limit the really good players we can pick, 1 cap top players people can think of should be rewarded as smart draft picking

Is it not just limited to the 23 man squads of each country at the World Cup?

Is it not just limited to the 23 man squads of each country at the World Cup?
    Yeah this. Even if someone has only a few caps but they're in the squad, they should eligble IMO

I thought it was anyone who had ever appeared in the WC.

Bit hard with just 32 nations to pick from which includes New Zealand, North Korea etc but fair enough.

• Advertisement

Bit hard with just 32 nations to pick from which includes New Zealand, North Korea etc but fair enough.

I was thinking this as well, in total there is 736 players at this years WC and the draft will account for 220 of those. Doable, but towards the later rounds will start to get tough...

I was thinking this as well, in total there is 736 players at this years WC and the draft will account for 220 of those. Doable, but towards the later rounds will start to get tough...

then he could throw in the stipulation rounds to keep things interesting:

a round where non world cup players are eligable to be drafted
    a round where former world cup players a eligable (legends round)
    etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The legends one would be good. If you had a particular legend in mind you'd have to leave the space on your team for him, so there would be a bit more strategy to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm in or is it too late ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Xavi6 wrote:

That was what my idea was as I figured anyone who had ever taken part over the years would be available. Then we could also go for Irish players, but if people want to stick with just this tournament that could be interesting also. Would be very tough by the latter rounds though. Legends round could spice it up.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm in or is it too late ;)
    Sorry Liz, you missed it by one but you're first on the reserve list.

That was what my idea was as I figured anyone who had ever taken part over the years would be available. Then we could also go for Irish players, but if people want to stick with just this tournament that could be interesting also. Would be very tough by the latter rounds though. Legends round could spice it up.
    Legends round will spice it up :) You'll only have to pick WC squad players for 9/11 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

An Irish internationals round?

Boards.ie World Cup Draft

Based on the original Premier League draft idea (credit to Lloyd) and inspired by the Pro Wrestling Draft I give you the Boards.ie World Cup Draft Game. People who are interested would agree to pick footballers from the final squads of the 32 teams that have qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. It would then be at the discretion of each participant to select a formation for their chosen 11.

There will be another draw after each player has picked his XI, putting people against each other in a knockout tournament where players will be required to argue why their team would win. This will be then be put to an open vote, you will be at the discretion of the soccer forum.

There will be 9 normal rounds where you can pick any of the players from the squads announced. Round 4 will be for a non World Cup player only while round 7 will be a legends round where you can pick any of the greats who played at the World Cup and not necessarily for a team that qualified.

When picking, feel free to add in a brief paragraph about the player and what he will add to your team. While this is not required, I would ask that each pick be accompanied by a picture of the player at the very least. If you miss your 24 hour deadline, the next player can go. It will be up to you to make sure you don’t miss this deadline. You can still choose whenever you can but players will be snapped up that you may have had an interest in.

You will be restricted to a maximum of three players from any one nation, akin to the Fantasy Premier League Rules.

With regards to assessing someone else’s team, you should take into account their performance at international level as well as their league form in the run up to the tournament.

Remember to play nice. Chances are everyone will have their preferences taken by somebody else at some point and in circumstances where you think someone has made a weak choice and you feel the want or need to stress it to them, do so with decorum and without resorting to one-line insults.

There may be a temptation to discuss who you chose your pick over but it would be smarter to not mention other available picks as to make sure that everyone is fair game.

Now there are plenty of regular posters here who frequent the forum on a daily basis. If you only log on occasionally and either can't or are unwilling to log on more often that is cool - but you will be likely to miss your turn and hold up the process and might be best to give it a miss.

This is revised. All sound ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sounds good to me. Im guessing with such a small pool of players to pick from in comparison to the last draft, there will only be a limited number of players?

This is revised. All sound ok?

Sounds good, pop up a Discussion Thread and Picks Only Thread there and I'll lock this one up and we can get started whenever you want.

id say a backup list will be handy here as the soccer forum moves fast and people might miss there turns more than once or twice and be forced to withdraw. I see Liz has already been added to such a list so if anyone else is interested id assume there is a place in the reserves

id say a backup list will be handy here as the soccer forum moves fast and people might miss there turns more than once or twice and be forced to withdraw. I see Liz has already been added to such a list so if anyone else is interested id assume there is a place in the reserves
    Aye well Liz gets first option if someone drops out.

Lock away there Frisbee

Thread Closed for the moment.

Discussion thread on it's way :D

Just to say, you might want to add to the rules how long you have to post before you get skipped.

It was 12 hours with the Prem one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement