Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bambu Restaurant - huge price hikes!!!

Options
  • 02-06-2010 5:31pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New takeaway menu just arrived.

Mainstream Thai curries have been increased in price from €5.95 (which was good) up to €7.95 (which isn't).

My bad maths tells me that's an increase of an enormous 33% :eek:

Rip off Ireland is alive and well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

n4002359633164_MED.jpg

Live on this until they close down or cop on............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

When I first moved to Limerick almost all their takeaway items were set at -wait for it.......... a jaw-dropping 11.95! Sick of that place and their attitude towards customers. We're in Limerick City, not bloody Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I'm sorry to be blunt, but GTFO. It's a company and they are more than entitled to charge whatever they want. they know as well as anyone that when they increase their prices, they will sell less grub. Obviously they think that this is a more profitable route to go.

If you think the price is reasonable, buy the food.

If you don't, don't. Either to some other Chinese or eat different food.

But please don't jump on the 'Rip off Ireland' bandwagon because one restaurant has increased prices by €2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Are they now including rice?

I'm sorry to be blunt, but GTFO.
    But please don't jump on the 'Rip off Ireland' bandwagon

GTFO out yourself. And I'm sorry too but people like you have this country in the state it's in by giving in to stupidly inflated prices. Rip off is the only term for trying to overcharge people for things that are worth a fraction of the price.

Pacifico, no side orders still cost extra.

• Advertisement

GTFO out yourself. And I'm sorry too but people like you have this country in the state it's in by giving in to stupidly inflated prices. Rip off is the only term for trying to overcharge people for things that are worth a fraction of the price.

Pacifico, no side orders still cost extra.

+1

Here's a good side order for Bambu Customers who don't mind being shafted!!!

- Jelly and Ice cream, nice!!!!

ky_jelly_300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If people vote with their wallets they will either have to adjust their prices again or close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Have never tried it, actually when Im thinking of a thai it never even enters my mind!! Is it any good?

Those prices seem a bit steep otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

What Limerick needs is a good noodle bar with the food cooked in front of you, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

What Limerick needs is a good noodle bar with the food cooked in front of you, what do you think?

Agreed. But I believe our Health and safety rules would not allow this.

There is a Thai restaraunt on the junction of Mallow street and Henry street that does excellent food. Reasonably priced too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sick of that place and their attitude towards customers. We're in Limerick City, not bloody Tokyo.
    I've eaten there many times and never experienced an 'attitude' towards customers. Perhaps you'd like to explain what you're on about.

Raiser wrote: »
    +1

Here's a good side order for Bambu Customers who don't mind being shafted!!!

- Jelly and Ice cream, nice!!!!

ky_jelly_300.jpg

You're sick :)
    bazz26 wrote: »
    If people vote with their wallets they will either have to adjust their prices again or close.

Yup, what I intend to do anyway.
    Have never tried it, actually when Im thinking of a thai it never even enters my mind!! Is it any good?

Those prices seem a bit steep otherwise!

Yeah the food's good. Nothing special but consistently good.

Love this idea! Something along the lines of Wagamama style you mean yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

giving in to stupidly inflated prices..

Talk with your wallet, whinging about take out prices on a board will do nothing.
    Its only "giving in" if you actually still choose to eat there.
    Do you think they are going to be looking at boards for reactions to their new prices or are they more likely to be looking at their books at months end?

NewApproach is right. Dont like the prices, dont eat there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

7.95 isn't that bad. €10 inc rice is cheaper than most Chinese places, and the food is of much better quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Noticed the price hike in Bambu too. However the cleverest rip off at the moment among Limerick lunchtime eateries is the Absolute Hotel. Now dont get me wrong, a 5/6 quid is great value for their (small) lunch 'main' courses. Had a stir fry thingy there on Monday. It was a small portion so ordered a side of chips. Said chips arrived - there was precisely 5 chips in a little bowl. Queried price - 3.95:eek: They are are making up the profit in side orders and coffee - waiter said as much.

Having said that, recession seems to have gone over the heads of The Greenhills - awful carvery - 12 yoyos, miserable sandwichs again at extortionate prices. There are still eeijits still willing to pay those prices.

Food is yum in the Ardhu bar - :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pacifico wrote: »
    7.95 isn't that bad. €10 inc rice is cheaper than most Chinese places, and the food is of much better quality...

It is. I can't think of any chinese place that would be much over €8 for a dish incl. rice.

What about the massive increase? 33%!!!!! :eek:

p.s. It's a recession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

How exactly is this a "rip-off"?

You know the price, they are not trying to hide it, don't eat there if you don't want to. The food there is very good. Only eat there occassionally but it would still be alright value €8 but obviously there are cheaper places out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

It is. I can't think of any chinese place that would be much over €8 for a dish incl. rice.

What about the massive increase? 33%!!!!! :eek:

p.s. It's a recession

one would think that in a recession 33% price hikes would be abnormal not normal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Easy.

Dishes were roughly €6, and are now roughly €8. A massive 33% increase in the middle of a recession.

Granted we can all read menus, but I thought it was worth highlighting. I won't darken their door again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Most businesses are struggling to make ends meet. Most businesses can't even pay their rates. A recession affects everybody. It does not mean that every business should automatically lower their prices just because you'd like that. Footfall is down for all businessses, something has to give. That means either letting workers go or raising prices. €7.95 is cheap. If you can't afford it you should cook your own food.

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Most businesses are struggling to make ends meet. Most businesses can't even pay their rates. A recession affects everybody. It does not mean that every business should automatically lower their prices just because you'd like that. Footfall is down for all businessses, something has to give. That means either letting workers go or raising prices. €7.95 is cheap. If you can't afford it you should cook your own food.

In a recession costs should be minimised and value increased if possible.

Putting prices up in this market by 1/3 is financial suicide.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Talk with your wallet, whinging about take out prices on a board will do nothing.

I find your reasoning fatally flawed, this thread has had as many as 510 views in 15 hours and several People have taken the trouble to post specifically to say they are determined to avoid the place solely because of the recent price hike.

- Also there have been alternative Thai Food Businesses put forward on personal recommendation by other Posters which offer an attractive and viable alternative.

I'd say the accountant is going to be having strong words with the Person who Tippex'd the menus at month-end to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's only a rip-off if you pay it. Go somewhere else if you don't like it. The Chinese in the Arthurs Quay food court has big portions and the food is cooked in front of you. Meals are only €4.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

New takeaway menu just arrived. Mainstream Thai curries have been increased in price from €5.95 (which was good)

And this is the problem, €5.95 was NOT good, €4.95 is about the max for a good street litterer ~

But you've highlighted why we in Ireland are taken the mickey out of at every corner, we THINK that over-inflated prices are "good" to begin with.

You know, in this climate this curry should be €3 AND they'd be making a profit on it @50C.

You know what you gotta do, I needn't say. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

gbee wrote: »
    And this is the problem, €5.95 was NOT good, €4.95 is about the max for a good street litterer ~

But you've highlighted why we in Ireland are taken the mickey out of at every corner, we THINK that over-inflated prices are "good" to begin with.

You know, in this climate this curry should be €3 AND they'd be making a profit on it @50C.

:rolleyes:

Ya and I'm sure all those 50 cents will cover the rates, rent and wages on an O'Connell St unit alright.

The restaurant is in a prime location, clean and does decent quality food, expect to pay a bit of a premium. If you want cheap, cheerful and dirty go get the eurosaver menu in McDonalds.

gbee wrote: »

I think €5.95 was the least expensive Thai curry (takeaway) in town, subject to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Ya and I'm sure all those 50 cents will cover the rates, rent and wages on an O'Connell St unit alright.

If they sell enough, sure why not. But I did not say they should sell at 50C, just that it is profitable at that price ... the price, demand, sales model has to be applied and obviously this establishment is looking at that model and increasing their prices as sales fall.

As with any model, there are exceptions and special difficulties and sometimes one cannot give away product even for free, so lowering prices may not have a knock on effect in increased trade ~ in this climate, and this is one of those special difficulties, increasing prices is not being patriotic.

A reduction in wages, rents, rates, materials, accountant fees, taxes should all be sought and would have to be granted on patriotic ideology. But as we know, the Tax Man will just close you down ~ but this is where the fight must go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Time and time again boards.ie illustrates how the average man on the street hasn't a ****in clue how a business works.

Time and time again boards.ie illustrates how the average man on the street hasn't a ****in clue how a business works.

Why not enlighten us then Ron?

All I can see is a monumental 33% price hike, at a time when people are quite rightly very concerned and conservative with their discretionary spending.

• Advertisement

I don't have a Harvard MBA.

I don't have a good head for accounting.

I'm no Entrepreneur.

- But I do know that if you fcuk your Customers over then the perceived insult will cause their own obstinate nature to kick in and lead them to drop you in an instant and then go on tell 10 other People what you're at - Or in this case 706 other People so far and that's well inside of 24 hours.......

Advertisement