Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco ID Requirement

Options
  • 02-06-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I was in tesco last week, and I noticed that their ID requirement to buy cigerates and probably alcohol is extremly strict. I usualy carry around my driving license in my wallet becasue i dont have a garda age card(never needed one having a driving license since 17) and never bring my passport out, ever.

Now usualy I never have a problem purchasing any type of product for people over the age of 18 with my driving license, why should I its a national document of proof of age from the irish goverment, and should be recgonised as a legal proff of age.(I am 21 by the way)

Going into tesco late at night last week to purcahse a packet of cigerate's I was asked for proof of age. No problem, dont mind being asked, when producing my Driving license as proof of age they went into a bigg huff saying that they dont accept Driving license as a proof of age. At this I was kinda shocked, never have I heard that somewere didnt accept a driving license as proof as age, with that i went out to show them 2 of my creidt cards with my name on it, a laser card, 2 college IDs with my date of birth and name, proving that this is infact me and I am infact 21. Tesco still deny to serve me saying that they only accept Age card and Passport as proof of age.

Now I know policy is policy, but I think its absoulty rediculise that with me having a irish national document proving my age, 3 cards to verify my name, and 2 other IDs to verify my name my age and my pircture and me being 21 i was denied cigerates because they did not belive me.

Is there much places around Galway that dont accept anything but only Passport or an Age card? Even if you have a lot of backup proving you say who you say you are? Should i just go and buy an Age card? even if i do bring around my driving license with me? Do places accept only age cards also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its just tesco, there's been threads about this before in the booze forum, its a stupid policy they've made up for themselves. I don't understand it one bit, there's at least three IDs recognised by the government as valid for this sort of thing I don't know how tesco get away with not accepting other types. I don't think you should bother getting an age card at this stage, personally I might try to kick up a fuss and get a manager called down, but I rarely get checked anyways so never have to do that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tescoes treats it's staff like robots they're not allowed to think for themselves so there's no reasoning with them if the computer says no.

Just go to any other shop, an independent off license can make judgements based on common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A nightclub in my home village is famous locally for not accepting a passport as proof of age, but are more than happy to accept easily faked college ID's.

Its ridiculous. A friend of mine at work from Italy was buying drink one day in tesco (he is 25 btw) and was asked for ID. He showed his National Identity card which they would not accept. He obviously does not have a garda ID and his passport was at home in Italy as he has no need for it with an National Identity so basically he could not get drink in tesco.

He has not had any problems since as he has not been asked for ID but it still crazy. Not accepting driving licences is one thing but not accepting a national identity car which is as good as a passport within the eu is crazy. I really cant see how they can ask for passports it is an important legal document not a bloody ID.

I hate Tesco anyway I wouldn't give them the steam of my p**s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Its just tesco, there's been threads about this before in the booze forum, its a stupid policy they've made up for themselves. I don't understand it one bit, there's at least three IDs recognised by the government as valid for this sort of thing I don't know how tesco get away with not accepting other types. I don't think you should bother getting an age card at this stage, personally I might try to kick up a fuss and get a manager called down, but I rarely get checked anyways so never have to do that sort of thing.

When that happened I kicked up a mighty fuss giving out and asked for the manager. But being it at 2am they replied saying the night manager is on his break. At the end of my ranting 2 secruity guards were over making sure it wasnt some drunk cause a problem.

Im making sure I never shop there again, it is a pity cause it is the only 24hr super market around and is good for those late nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Dunnes Edward square as well (presumably all Dunnes... ?. Can't accept the drivers licence cos it's apparently easy to make a forged one. We can only accept age cards and passports in there. Had to sign a policy and all a few months back...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Columc wrote: »
    When that happened I kicked up a mighty fuss giving out and asked for the manager. But being it at 2am they replied saying the night manager is on his break. At the end of my ranting 2 secruity guards were over making sure it wasnt some drunk cause a problem.

Im making sure I never shop there again, it is a pity cause it is the only 24hr super market around and is good for those late nights.

They couldn't have sold you drink at 2am anyway? :confused:

I was in tesco last week, and I noticed that their ID requirement to buy cigerates
    They couldn't have sold you drink at 2am anyway?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

6307-picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

i remember a couple of yrs back i was asked for id in joyces for booze, i produced a provisional licence to show i was in fact 20 and she refused saying they only accept full drivers licence not provisional:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I think Dunnes Stores have a similar policy. I dunno if they enforce it as much though. they definitely have a sign up saying they'll only accept age cards and passports I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I'm a Dunnes employee and they are very strict over ID's. If i suspect something's a miss with someones ID i've to call a manager straight away and let them make an informed decision on the case. We cannot except driving licences at all which is stupid really, we had to sign a form so that if we do except one and the person isn't in fact of age then the employee can have legal action brought befpre them so it's easier and safer to decline a sale. I suppose the reason that they stopped taking licences was that so many ppl were using fake ones or ppl who looked like them so it was easier just to stop taking them and reduce the risk albeit slightly of selling to a minor. What is good tho is that Dunnes managers will make an informed decision if you are obviously over 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

ScumLord wrote: »
    Tescoes Tesco treat there staff like robots they're not allowed to think for themselves so there's no reasoning with them if the computer says no.

Just go to any other shop, an independent off license can make judgements based on common sense.

FYP

yer man! wrote: »
    I'm a Dunnes employee and they are very strict over ID's. If i suspect something's a miss with someones ID i've to call a manager straight away and let them make an informed decision on the case. We cannot except driving licences at all which is stupid really, we had to sign a form so that if we do except one and the person isn't in fact of age then the employee can have legal action brought befpre them so it's easier and safer to decline a sale. I suppose the reason that they stopped taking licences was that so many ppl were using fake ones or ppl who looked like them so it was easier just to stop taking them and reduce the risk albeit slightly of selling to a minor. What is good tho is that Dunnes managers will make an informed decision if you are obviously over 18.

But what happens if you produce the driving license, 2 other forms of ID, 2 credit cards and a laser card for proof of being the person. Is the whole driving license being forged a new thing around ireland or has it always been here.
    i remember a couple of yrs back i was asked for id in joyces for booze, i produced a provisional licence to show i was in fact 20 and she refused saying they only accept full drivers licence not provisiona

Dont get me started about joyces and their policies.. Need to be over 21 to buy more then 4 cans of beer, or a bottle of wine or a 200ml bottle of spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

jenno86 wrote: »
    FYP
    Jaysus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only thing that's ridiculous here is the Irish driving licence, which is so forge-able that no one's willing to accept it!

I found it quite funny in my favourite Irish-theme pub at home, watching Irish backpackers being declined 'cos the only ID they could produce were those silly pieces of paper that don't even look like late-20th-century government documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Yup, was asked for ID in Dunnes, Edward Sq (for ONE bottle of wine). All I had was my Drivers Licence. She told me they were not supposed to accept it, but she did because I'm obviously over 18. She said that the Garda card and the Passport were two forms of ID they were allowed to accept. I'm not going to start carrying my passport around and as I'm 33, I've been told that I wont' get a Garda card.
    Ho Hum. The wine was lovely, by the way...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have to carry ID for Dunnes Stores that's near me. I rarely get asked in bars or clubs, buy guaranteed I will be in Dunnes.

Its an idiotic system. They treat both the staff and the customers as fools. If you are with a group of people buying thing seperatly they will still ID everyone even if your the only one buying drink. As if teenagers dont have the cop on to stay outside if they dont have ID!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

rubywoo wrote: »
    Yup, was asked for ID in Dunnes, Edward Sq (for ONE bottle of wine). All I had was my Drivers Licence. She told me they were not supposed to accept it, but she did because I'm obviously over 18. She said that the Garda card and the Passport were two forms of ID they were allowed to accept. I'm not going to start carrying my passport around and as I'm 33, I've been told that I wont' get a Garda card.
    Ho Hum. The wine was lovely, by the way...:D

Can I ask why she bothered asking you for your i.d. if she knew you were obviously over 18? I'm 18 and always just use my provisional driving license and never have any bother anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tesco have become very responsible of late. In parts of the UK they require ID proving that you are over 25 to buy a teaspoon!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217504/Are-old-spoon-Woman-asked-ID-buying-teaspoons-Tesco.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cooperguy wrote: »
    ... They treat both the staff and the customers as fools. If you are with a group of people buying thing seperatly they will still ID everyone even if your the only one buying drink. As if teenagers dont have the cop on to stay outside if they dont have ID!

Well some teenagers don't have that cop-on: I've more than once seen a group being refused because dumb-under-age-kid tried to go the checkout with his mates.

I sooo want to quote that advertising slogan that gets pumped thru their stores, the one that starts "The difference is ...". But I might get told off for being racist, so I'm not going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

No more fun than working at 16 and ID'ing kids from your school and getting crap over it....grrr

Anyway, I'm 25 and still get ID'd, sometimes turned away by Tesco for not having a national Age card. I don't get angry, it's the policy they want to enforce. I remember when they first brought in the national age card is this country a few places in Castlebar would only accept that card.

I agree that the drivers license here is a joke. It's so flakey looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Tesco is the only place where I regularly get ID'd. It's ridiculous; particularly given that I'm not a lot of years(at all:o) off 30 at this stage. They do accept my drivers licence but mostly because they're mortified when they see what age I am and get very embarrassed that they asked me in the first place.

Last time it happened the woman afterwards said that she had thought that I was 15, much to the amusement of the people behind me:rolleyes::o

In fairness, I may not actually look my age but I certainly don't look 15:mad:

Ye should all grow a beard, you'll never ever get asked for ID if you have a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

+1.

Ye should all grow a beard, you'll never ever get asked for ID if you have a beard.

Pretty difficult for most women to do in fairness:p

Pretty difficult for most women to do in fairness:p
    That's such a defeatist attitude, plenty of bearded ladies would say otherwise. With all the modern hormones around these days I'm sure there's some sort of woman beard slap on down in boots. Great for winter too, you wouldn't believe the insulation they provide.

That's such a defeatist attitude, plenty of bearded ladies would say otherwise. With all the modern hormones around these days I'm sure there's some sort of woman beard slap on down in boots. Great for winter too, you wouldn't believe the insulation they provide.

I'll take your word for it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Messi 10 wrote: »
    Can I ask why she bothered asking you for your i.d. if she knew you were obviously over 18? I'm 18 and always just use my provisional driving license and never have any bother anywhere

I agree Messi10 - she tried to laugh it off saying 'does it not make you feel great being i.d'd'. Erm, no it does not! It's a big fecking waste of time. And don't try to plamás me like that. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

But what happens if you produce the driving license, 2 other forms of ID, 2 credit cards and a laser card for proof of being the person. Is the whole driving license being forged a new thing around ireland or has it always been here.

Well it's always been around but it's gotten far worse in the past couple of years as they are harder to distinguish from the real thing with some fake ones. If you had all those forms of ID i'd just call a manager as i'm instructed to do if the person doesn't have correct ID, thay would then more than likely approve the sale and you'd be on your way. If I or they sensed something was a miss, like if you were just 18 and buying like 6 naggins instead of a bottle i'd refuse the the sale, end of story. I'd prefer to cover my a*s so I don't lose my job.

Advertisement