Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco ID Requirement

Options
2»

Comments

In fairness, driving licenses are dead handy to make.. I sold over 30 of them when I was 16 and only got caught cause of one eejit. Then I got caught for fake passports when I was 17, again an idiot who didn't listen to my advice.. "pritstick it before you use it in case it lifts."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In fairness, driving licenses are dead handy to make.. I sold over 30 of them when I was 16 and only got caught cause of one eejit. Then I got caught for fake passports when I was 17, again an idiot who didn't listen to my advice.. "pritstick it before you use it in case it lifts."

How long do you get for forgery these days? Biffo's tracing your IP! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I was refused to purchase six cans of Heineken in Tesco,Wexford.

It was due to the fact i had no idea,i'm 28 years of age and i'm going grey ish,and by no means look like someone under 18,the funny thing about it,the girl serving me was a good few years younger than me.

I demanded to see the manager,he came out and said it was up to her discretion whether to serve me,she decided to in the end but i refused to let them take my money so i went elsewhere for my alcoholic beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

its an absolute disgrace! I've been refused drink on more than one occassion in tesco becuase of it.

Don't you have to pay for a garda ID? who in their right mind would want to pay more just to be identified as the person you actually are?
    Also, I would NEVER bring my passport out with me. Way too risky on a night out or even just during the day to lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I haven't been asked for ID for ages. Think i'll pay a visit to Tesco just so I can feel that little bit younger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm 25, got I.D.'d in Tesco a few months back when buying a bottle of wine, was buying about €50 worth of other stuff to. Only ID I had was my old college ID which has my DOB on it. So young indian guy, maybe 19/20 asks me for ID, I give him the "are you for ****ing real?" look. He asks em what age I am, I say 25, he says why don't you ahve ID so, I look him dead in the eye and say because I don't need one. Demanded to speak to a manager who basically called him an idiot and told him to his his brain next time and there was no way I looked under 21!

Here's something most people don't know.

If the bar staff/off licence staff/check out person in the shop think you look under 21, they have to ID you according to the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 androma

I work in tesco. Tesco's policy is if you dont look 21 then you will be asked.I always use common sense when considering asking for ID and am not overly harsh about it.we can be personally fined just like in dunnes.obviously if you look like an 18 chav your gonna be asked.So many people well able to argue or be smart on front of their friends but wouldn't have the balls to go speak to a manager. For years in Galway, drivers licences have been refused cos they are too easy to copy,everyone knows this.Just get an agecard if your having trouble and stop whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 live4life

I'm 25 and NEVER pop to Tesco or Dunnes for a bottle of vino or anything.... I only end up arguing with the sales person because its 'passport' only which is utter bull****, i used to do my grocery shopping with them all the time but hate going in there now cause of their retarded attitudes and stupid policies...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Firstly may I ask you to actually read the thread with your common sense instead of posting? k thx bye
    androma wrote: »
    I always use common sense when considering asking for ID

Not denying you use common sense I was in fact complaining about the person who denied me when I had 2 credit cards, laser card, and 3 forms of ID. Most tesco staff does not have common sense, every time I have been in there the staff cant handle a simple request.
    wouldn't have the balls to go speak to a manager

Yet again please read the thread, instead of claiming my manhood or there lack of. :S
    For years in Galway, drivers licences have been refused cos they are too easy to copy

Never Once been refused with my driving license, I'm a student, I'm 21 thats 3 years of never being asked.
    Just get an agecard if your having trouble and stop whining.

Only having trouble in tescos and since I was refused I haven't stepped back in there probably never will. And why should I pay extra money to confirm my name and DOB when I have a legal state document to already do this.

Tescos staff treat their customers like ****, don't help them in any way or form and when you have a question for them they are as helpful as a ****ing rock. Its not hard to hire a decent staff in this day, sure 5,000 people applied for KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Columc wrote: »
    Most tesco staff does not have common sense, every time I have been in there the staff cant handle a simple request.

Tescos staff treat their customers like ****, don't help them in any way or form and when you have a question for them they are as helpful as a ****ing rock. Its not hard to hire a decent staff in this day, sure 5,000 people applied for KFC.

Sweeping statement there, i know people who work there and they seem to be able to muddle their way through life but i'm sure you know every single person who works there so you can come to that judgement.

You got ID'd you didn't have the ID that was required and got refused build a bridge and get over it!

also this is a company policy all over ireland i don't see why its in the galway forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

live4life wrote: »
    I'm 25 and NEVER pop to Tesco or Dunnes for a bottle of vino or anything.... I only end up arguing with the sales person because its 'passport' only which is utter bull****, i used to do my grocery shopping with them all the time but hate going in there now cause of their retarded attitudes and stupid policies...:mad:

Instead of slagging retailers who are simply doing what they need to, why don't you try lobbying your TD to get the ridiculous paper driver's licences replaced with hard-to-forge ones. More likely to be productive in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Dunnes Edward square as well (presumably all Dunnes... ?. Can't accept the drivers licence cos it's apparently easy to make a forged one.
    I'm wondering if they would do the same if you show them foreign driving license plastic card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 live4life

JustMary wrote: »
    Instead of slagging retailers who are simply doing what they need to, why don't you try lobbying your TD to get the ridiculous paper driver's licences replaced with hard-to-forge ones. More likely to be productive in the long run.
    I wouldn't waste my time lobbying ANY TD... I just call it poor customer service.

Wow you're so intelligent with your quotes! Well said justmary.If this is such an issue with you,why dont you contact the Government and follow it up? ANSWER: Because you dont have the balls and your just a bitch. When I said I use common sense I was actually referring to another post which suggested that Tesco employees are treated like robots and have no ability to think.
    Pulling out your credit cards etc, was a very intelligent move.That always works and never looks desperate...note the sarcasm.You have never been refused with a driver's licence anywhere before?! I've been around longer than you and have seen many friends refused in many places, with it.

I have to say I feel sorry for the staff having to have dealt with an obviously superior idiot like yourself who cannot even spell the word "cigarette" never mind be served them.Just a few more corrections on your spelling... "Usually" not "usualy", "Because" not "Becasue", "Recognised" not "recgonised", "Proof" not "proff","Purchase" not "purcahse", "Big" not "bigg" !!!!! "Somewhere" not "somewere","credit" not "creidt", "absolutely ridiculous" not "absoulty rediculise".

I find it amusing that you can afford to pay for "Cigarettes" at eight euro a box and yet moan about having to fork out the e10 required for an agecard.Im sure the rest of the staff are delighted to hear your announcement that you will not be able to make it back to the store,as they would not be able to help you in any way or form.The only help you need my friend is directions to the college library where you can learn to read and write.Im still puzzled as to how you got into college in the first place.Most of the staff there are more educated than you will ever be,and you will do well to get a job in KFC with literacy like that, you dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

im in my 20's never get asked for id but i did get asked for id last month when i wanted to buy a PS3 game it was so imbaresing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

kieran26 wrote: »
    Sweeping statement there, i know people who work there and they seem to be able to muddle their way through life but i'm sure you know every single person who works there so you can come to that judgement.

Hence why I said most staff. I have been at tescos quite a few time and thats just my observation from being their. Buts thats what a business is, poor customer service in one store will give you a general idea of the company in whole. Simple business thinking. you are only as strong as your weakest store in regards to CS.
    androma wrote:
    Pulling out your credit cards etc, was a very intelligent move.That always works and never looks desperate...note the sarcasm.You have never been refused with a driver's licence anywhere before?! I've been around longer than you and have seen many friends refused in many places, with it.

Actualy it works in most places, its proof if the person thinks that infact if the driving license is a forgery(thats what is under discusion here, that tesco wont allow it cause they think they are all fake) so having backup IDs and credit cards(in which case is almost impossible to forge all of them) for proof that i am the person who say i am.

androma wrote:
    I have to say I feel sorry for the staff having to have dealt with an obviously superior idiot like yourself who cannot even spell the word "cigarette" never mind be served them.Just a few more corrections on your spelling... "Usually" not "usualy", "Because" not "Becasue", "Recognised" not "recgonised", "Proof" not "proff","Purchase" not "purcahse", "Big" not "bigg" !!!!! "Somewhere" not "somewere","credit" not "creidt", "absolutely ridiculous" not "absoulty rediculise".

Wow going down to the whole name calling, quite a mature move their. and wait you use the whole your spelling is **** as well. Wow congrats. I admit it i have terrible spelling. You found out my long last secret. I have extreme dyslixia. Got a D3 in lower English. I never knew that your intelligance is measured on the english language and thats a measurement on how to get into college. Since There are other subjects in the leaving cert in which you can use to get into college with. I actualy had quite a good leaving cert, but sure my english is terrible i must be a dumbass.

Extremly sorry that i didnt know your were the grammar police.

androma wrote:
    I find it amusing that you can afford to pay for "Cigarettes" at eight euro a box and yet moan about having to fork out the e10 required for an agecard

The fact the money wise isnt a problem. the problem is why should i fork out the extra money for no real reason. When people can use common sense.

So you went out saying people dont have balls for not talking to manager to moving it to lobbying for a new type of driving license. Like i said in the passed i never ever had a problem with the driving licese, and if i did with all my other forms of ID the staff know its not a fake. So i really dont have a prorblem. Why should i go start lobbying my local TDs for something that only 1 place is having issues with.

And Adroma the staff should not be delighted that i am not returning to the store at this day they should try and get as much customers as possbile. They should aslo try and be as helpful in the younger customer age group so that they can try and create a regular customer base of them for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

Sure I'm not even 18, have no interest in any alchohol/cigarettes and don't work at Tesco, so excuse my unbiased reply but:

Everyone here should just calm down a bit. I for one don't care for petty (ironic) arguments about someone's spelling or random name calling here and there.

Chill Pill - €2.99 - Only at your local Tesco.

dyslixia is spelt dyslexia. Dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, this thread turned kinda nasty.

androma banned. If you cannot discuss without resorting to insults then that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

antocann wrote: »
    im in my 20's never get asked for id but i did get asked for id last month when i wanted to buy a PS3 game it was so imbaresing

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Try going into an Aldi they only accept garda age cards i was refused because i only produced my passport.(btw i'm clearly over 18:() The cashier replied when questioned about the policy that the guards told them to do it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I had to provide my Irish Driving license in Australia for work and they couldn't believe how flimsy it was, it's a piece of paper with some laminate stuck to it, rubbish. No wonder some retailers won't accept it. They should bring in a credit card style license ASAP.

I used to work in Tesco and part of the staff induction is learning the consequences of serving alcohol to minors. The store can be fined, off-license section closed down and criminal proceedings taken against the staff member in question, also it is likely that the staff member in question will lose their job. So you can see why staff will err on the side of caution.

Still, that doesn't mean they can't use common sense from time to time. Although if you don't like their no-driving license policy then you can always buy your booze elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Megatron_X wrote: »
    Sure I'm not even 18, have no interest in any alchohol/cigarettes and don't work at Tesco, so excuse my unbiased reply but:

Everyone here should just calm down a bit. I for one don't care for petty (ironic) arguments about someone's spelling or random name calling here and there.

Chill Pill - €2.99 - Only at your local Tesco.
    You won't understand until you enter the work force and become an alcoholic like the rest of us.

Advertisement