Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free talk,text and unlimited internet on 3?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has already been covered...

but last time I checked, if you topped up by 20 euro on 3, you got
    -free unlimited any network texs
    -free unlimited any network weekend calls...

but now it seems they have also added free unlimited web surfing as well?

http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay.htm
    Great deal..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Annoyingly, this is false advertising. Its not unlimited, as it is capped at 250MB a month, and it is not free as it is actually a €5 add on that you have to pay for. Very misleading on 3's part and I don't know how they're getting away with it.

However, it is still a very good offering in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

well it brings my Internet add on back to in line to what it was.
    But yes very misleading there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Is the cost of the Internet add on deducted from your credit or does it require new cash? If it is the former then you can indeed make do with €20/month, the Internet just reduces your credit for calls, but if you mostly call at the weekend you mightn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

ardmacha wrote: »
    Is the cost of the Internet add on deducted from your credit or does it require new cash? If it is the former then you can indeed make do with €20/month, the Internet just reduces your credit for calls, but if you mostly call at the weekend you mightn't need it.

If you top up by €20 you get the free texts and the free weekend calls. If you purchase the €5 internet addon it comes out of the credit you already had, so you end up with:

€15 credit
    Free texts
    Free weekend calls
    250mb worth of internet for the month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you top up by €20 you get the free texts and the free weekend calls. If you purchase the €5 internet addon it comes out of the credit you already had, so you end up with:

€15 credit
    Free texts
    Free weekend calls
    250mb worth of internet for the month

Does the Internet work when out of coverage of the native Three network (I think they have roaming on Vodafone?) I expect calls do work OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

not sure of the exact system, theres a separate signal meter on my phone for network signal and 3G signal

so im guessing as long as you got 3G coverage the native signal dont matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

technically it is free. When you change to 3 you get 5e credit every time you top you 20e for the first 10 months. So if you use that 5e to buy the add on then you have
    20e credit
    250mb of internet
    3000 texts
    3000 weekend minutes
    Free skype calls

The ad is a bit misleading tho..

From my experience, internet wont work without 3G. They roam on the vodafone 2G network to improve coverage but dont allow internet connections on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

This actually sounds half decent. Although the 250mb won't be enough for me, if I stick to just skype/the odd gmail check I'll be alright. (nokia n900).

I never make calls, so this would be fine for me for the odd weekend call, free anytime texts and be logged into skype to IM.. Anyone changed to this yet? Anything else I should be aware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

mathew wrote: »
    technically it is free. When you change to 3 you get 5e credit every time you top you 20e for the first 10 months. So if you use that 5e to buy the add on then you have
    20e credit
    250mb of internet
    3000 texts
    3000 weekend minutes
    Free skype calls

The ad is a bit misleading tho..

From my experience, internet wont work without 3G. They roam on the vodafone 2G network to improve coverage but dont allow internet connections on it!!

"technically it is free" no its not there is nothing free about it, it costs 5e end of! they were made remove all references to free from the add and aslo palce an * to refere to the T&C's "anytime mobile surfing*" so now people know its not free.

funkyflea wrote: »
    if I stick to just skype/the odd gmail check I'll be alright. (nokia n900).

I never make calls, so this would be fine for me for the odd weekend call, free anytime texts and be logged into skype to IM.. Anyone changed to this yet? Anything else I should be aware of?

Skype is free full stop, so it won't come out of your 250MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jordainius wrote: »
    Skype is free full stop, so it won't come out of your 250MB.

Its only free when using the 3 skype app, and not skype mobile that you download from the skype website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

you also get free wlm and google searches.

plus if you use up 250MB - then just buy another one out of your twenty euro credit, hell if you use that up you can buy another add on.

They dont aggregate and dont roll on to the next month, but as soon as you think you are near the 250MB limit just go and buy an addon straight out of your credit straight on the phone.

The 20 euro credit would be near impossible to use, as you only get charged for weekday calls at 35c a min which is what I currently pay on meteors 20 euro and get free meteor-meteor text offer, so you gain more for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

i cant believe they are getting away with it, lieing cheating conniving gits.

i got a three sim for this to tie me over till NTL set me up next week, topped up by 30 thinking, thats grand ive got free tinternet and weekend calls and thirty euros to do me during the week, (ive my 02 sim in a geriatric nokia till then)

well i went online today for 5 mins (i tether my phone to the laptop) and after 5 mins, lo and behold i was down 5 euro, so i rang them up and they said the same, ive to buy the add ons. so off i went and did it.

thing is now, is the free weekend call thing a gimmick as well? am i supposed to get an add on for that one too?

im sending in a complaint about it too, 3 can eat **** for all i care:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Nope the weekend calls work without you having to do anything BUT start time is 12am Friday night/Saturday morning.
    Don't know if bank holls are part of weekends.... Use to be on Voda when I was with them.

i cant believe they are getting away with it, lieing cheating conniving gits.

i got a three sim for this to tie me over till NTL set me up next week, topped up by 30 thinking, thats grand ive got free tinternet and weekend calls and thirty euros to do me during the week, (ive my 02 sim in a geriatric nokia till then)

well i went online today for 5 mins (i tether my phone to the laptop) and after 5 mins, lo and behold i was down 5 euro, so i rang them up and they said the same, ive to buy the add ons. so off i went and did it.

thing is now, is the free weekend call thing a gimmick as well? am i supposed to get an add on for that one too?

im sending in a complaint about it too, 3 can eat **** for all i care:)

Yeah, how dare they not consider people like yourself who don't bother to read the terms and conditions. Your complaint is a waste of time- so don't bother sending it; they'll just point you to the relevant terms and conditions.

As for your question about the free weekend minutes, I won't validate your "question" by giving you an answer, check the terms here http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay.htm

Three should definitely change how this offer appears at first, but it doesn't take long to find out that the internet is subject to purchasing an add-on.

I can't believe the amount of people who never check the terms of something before they start using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Vodafone have done a lot worse, there adverting internet that's not even the internet, if you want skype you've to pay extra, it's worst unlimited offer i've ever seen.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055929285

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

so if only the 3 skype app works for free
    does this mean that i can only use a three branded phone?

i have an unbranded n97 that i d like to use with this offer

• Advertisement

Why are you quoting me? I never said anything which wouldn't go along with this so I'm not sure why you're quoting me as only the first line of what you posted is relevant to what I said. I never said it was okay for 3 to advertise this the way they are, check my first post in the thread.

My point however is that it is very foolish to use a service without reading the T's & C's and becoming fully aware of all charges beforehand. It doesn't matter if you don't care what they don't put in the T's&C's, its still always in the customers best interests to read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

3's Skype app makes a voice call to an 083 number which is a Skype gateway. This is how they can have Skype a) "for free" b) on low end phones (no codec required on phone) and c) in areas with no 3G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

3 will be changing the "5 euro for 250mb" to "5 euro for 500mb" in a month or so as far as i know which will equate to their old 1gig for a tenner offer - even better in the sense that 500mb might suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

3 will be changing the "5 euro for 250mb" to "5 euro for 500mb" in a month or so as far as i know which will equate to their old 1gig for a tenner offer - even better in the sense that 500mb might suffice.

source?

flodis79 wrote: »
    source?

someone high up enough in 3 to know. If it doesn't come true I will refer to them by name liberally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

the ad is deliberately misleading thats the problem, it doesn't matter what they have in the terms and conditions

I've also sent a complaint to the asai. It's just not good enough for a company to mislead people like this. and no point when their offer is quite good anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

JHMEG wrote: »
    3's Skype app makes a voice call to an 083 number which is a Skype gateway. This is how they can have Skype a) "for free" b) on low end phones (no codec required on phone) and c) in areas with no 3G coverage.

But does it actually work in non-3g coverage. Whilest the skype call itself may be over the normal gsm connection, the skype app to be logged in needs a data connection. Using GSM for the actual calls simply gives call quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

If your making a complaint re an allegation of false advertising you really need to send it to the National Consumer Agency. They are the only one's with legislative teeth and can make miscreants in this respect pay. False advertising such as this if it were sustained is actually a criminal offence under the 2005 Consumer Act. That would make 3 sweat if a criminal complaint were made to the NCA.

Advertisement