Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney firms want visit by British monarch

Options
  • 02-06-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hotel and business leaders in Killarney are urging the Government to invite Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland and Killarney next year.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0602/queen.html

After years of posturing as the only truly Republican county, Kerry wants to see the Queen. Why? is it de money-ah!

When money was being raised for the Cork-Swansea ferry these people were nowhere to be seen. " the chairman of West Cork Tourism, the organisation that is spearheading the fundraising drive, said: 'We had hoped that the business community in Kerry would bring 50 shares to the table. But we were terribly disappointed when – after the meeting last Saturday morning – less than ten people signed the pledge form.' ”
    http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Skins/SST/Client.asp?Skin=SST&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1275498006319

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Essexboy wrote: »
    Hotel and business leaders in Killarney are urging the Government to invite Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland and Killarney next year.

After years of posturing as the only truly Republican county, Kerry wants to see the Queen. Why? is it de money-ah!

When money was being raised for the Cork-Swansea ferry these people were nowhere to be seen. " the chairman of West Cork Tourism, the organisation that is spearheading the fundraising drive, said: 'We had hoped that the business community in Kerry would bring 50 shares to the table. But we were terribly disappointed when – after the meeting last Saturday morning – less than ten people signed the pledge form.' ”
    http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/Default/Skins/SST/Client.asp?Skin=SST&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1275498006319
    if they go through sarah ferguson, they need som cash in a little briefcase, plenty cash

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What posturing?:confused:

...Kerry investors might put some money into a Swansea Fenit Car Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Would be a great boost the the economy. Really shows the maturity of people these days to see such an invite.

Although, I do worry for HM with Healy-Rae in the welcoming party!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Lauder wrote: »
    Would be a great boost the the economy. Really shows the maturity of people these days to see such an invite.

Although, I do worry for HM with Healy-Rae in the welcoming party!
    hows she cutting maaaam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

What is the point of the axe you're grinding here?:confused: The article explains its for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I dont know what the hassle about the Monarch coming to Kerry is. Don't the vast majority of people sign up to their "Britishness" every week:eek:

Tesco
    Boots
    Mothercare
    Debenhams
    Next
    Halfords
    Costa Coffee
    Ulster Bank
    New Look
    Burtons
    Marks & Spencers
    Game Stop

Do I have to continue. Give your own brand of "Irishness" a thought :mad:

newman10 wrote: »
    I dont know what the hassle about the Monarch coming to Kerry is. Don't the vast majority of people sign up to their "Britishness" every week:eek:

Tesco
    Boots
    Mothercare
    Debenhams
    Next
    Halfords
    Costa Coffee
    Ulster Bank
    New Look
    Burtons
    Marks & Spencers
    Game Stop

Do I have to continue. Give your own brand of "Irishness" a thought :mad:

As she doesn't have to sign up to her Britishness, there's more chance of finding her in Kerry than there is of seeing her in any of those establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

My point is why the fuss over the Queen or whoever coming to Ireland because in the last decade we have surrendered our Retail industry to UK multiples.

Maybe Sarcozy shoud visit :rolleyes:

newman10 wrote: »
    My point is why the fuss over the Queen or whoever coming to Ireland because in the last decade we have surrendered our Retail industry to UK multiples.

Maybe Sarcozy shoud visit :rolleyes:

I know:D

Sarkozy can stay where he is, as Angela Merkel would do more good here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

What is the point of the axe you're grinding here?:confused: The article explains its for the money.

So the Queen should visit Killarney just to make money for the local profiteers? how could she resist such an invitation? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So the Queen should visit Killarney just to make money for the local profiteers? how could she resist such an invitation? :rolleyes:

She might be offered cheap B&B as an incentive, which would very handy for the old dear, as the Tories are playing havoc with her pocket-money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Throw in a free jarvey ride around Muckross.

So the Queen should visit Killarney just to make money for the local profiteers?
    Yes. This is the reason she has been asked to Killarney and it is clealy in article.

Clearly you have an angle, I'm just curious to see what it is. Perhaps you might answer my question this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

Gerry Adams when asked by journalists about his feelings on the Queens visit to the North a while back answered "Mrs Windsor can come and go as she pleases!" Thought it was a very good answer :D

Im sure that Mrs Windsor would have a very nice time in Killarney - whilst we take her money from her..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

[/url]

ok just to be clear.

you do realise that the people who claimed proudly that kerry was the most republican county in Ireland and the people that want the queen to come to killarney are 2 different groups of people?

Honestly whats the problem here?

tourism is a big part of the Killarney economy a visit by the Queen of England would be a major boost.

I think the troll has left the building :rolleyes:

I think the troll has left the building :rolleyes:

Killed in a bridge collapse.

Advertisement