Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super smash bros melee!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I think it'll be better to run Smash casuals during XGC casuals, and see how much interest is there before we try any tournaments. If theres any casuals next mid-week, I'll bring equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

If we want the smash scene to take off, realistically someone needs to be in charge of organising casuals and tournaments.

I ran Tir Na Smash 1 & 2, but I'm afraid I don't have the same free time that I used to, so I'd be more than happy to pass the torch to someone else.

Who wants to step forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Location puts me and the 2 or 3 other Smash players I know down here out. I assume most people on this thread are from around the Pale.

Let us know how you get on at XGC though, there was a decent turnout at the last TnS. I could add about 2 to the roster. Aidan also seemed to have one or two mates that didn't show, including a particularly good Marth.

Kold wrote: »
    So am I #3? I'm Liam (Peach)

Oh hey Liam, I missed this post somehow. How are you doing?

There were only 2 tournaments, so I don't think the rankings really count for a whole lot, but both years Aidan and Nathan came #1 and #2 respectively, so until someone can come along and dethrones these guys, they get to keep their "top 2" status I think.

I came #3 first year and #4 the second year, but I never got to play you, which was really disappointing because I'd never seen a good Peach before, but we didn't come up against each other in the tournament, and things were too hectic for me to sit you down for a few casual matches afterwards!

Well I've been practising since I got sat by Aidan, it's hard to do when I don't know any good Marths or Sheiks (Michael plays Sheik sometimes but it's nowhere as good as his Samus).

Some things I only really found out that day. Like Peach's usmash beating Link's dair (God did my eyes light up when I tried that out). But I only ever get to really play vs Fox, Falco, Samus & a decent Ness.

• Advertisement

Aye, it's definitely really frustrating being at the cusp of being really good at the game, but just needing more regular practice and play VS good players.

That's why I'm so interested in casuals, I think it'll massively help my game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smakis

i recently moved to cork from sweden and im up for melee at all times, im just glad i finally found some people who play smash in this country <3

smakis wrote: »
    i recently moved to cork from sweden and im up for melee at all times, im just glad i finally found some people who play smash in this country <3

Hey Smakis, you and Kold should swap details and meet up for some sessions in Cork. If my memory serves correctly they have a really good Peach, Samus and Ness down there.

Then whenever we decide to do something bigger up in Dublin, you guys can get the train together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smakis

sounds good, peach and samus...awesome matchups for ic =D

and yea i have pm him on smashboards, in case he looks here first you can add me on dbz_db_super@hotmail.com (i know its a stupid adress, i was small when i made it okay? ^^)

Ha, you never know, we could have a Cork v Dublin crewbattle in a couple of months :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Use to play Melee in my first year in college all the time, great little game. I usually got my ass kicked though ( I mained Fox in it. )

Wouldn't mind playing some more of it sometime myself.

Use to play Melee in my first year in college all the time, great little game. I usually got my ass kicked though ( I mained Fox in it. )

Wouldn't mind playing some more of it sometime myself.

Cool, whereabouts in Cork are you? We were talking bout getting some games on Monday evening, we're around Barrack St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Naota

Hey, i'm Kolds friend the samus player. Think it would be deadly if we could get something rolling up in dublin. I can bring a wii, copy of the game and maybe 2 controlers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Naota wrote: »
    Hey, i'm Kolds friend the samus player. Think it would be deadly if we could get something rolling up in dublin. I can bring a wii, copy of the game and maybe 2 controlers.

Why don't you rent a machine out in XGC like the street fighter players but hook the wii up instead of thexbox thats already there?

That's how we built our scene.

I'd bet if people see you playing they'd get interested.

Are you perchance either Eamonn or Michael who went to Tir Na Smash 1?

This is Dave btw.

Are you perchance either Eamonn or Michael who went to Tir Na Smash 1?

This is Dave btw.
    Yeah this is Michael and i was at both tir na smash 1 & 2. I believe it was you who knocked me out of the last tournament with your marth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Cool, whereabouts in Cork are you? We were talking bout getting some games on Monday evening, we're around Barrack St.

Not going to say where exactly I live but its a cheap train trip from where I live to get into the city.

I'll see about popping along on Monday but I'm making no promises as I plan on going to Inferno next week and want to hold onto my funds for that.

Made friends with this Falcon when I was in Vancouver, NoobKing. Played a few games agaist him, got raped. Far and away the best player I've ever played.

So when would be a good day for people to try get down to the XGC? I really want this thing to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

So when would be a good day for people to try get down to the XGC? I really want this thing to take off.

I would say a Wednesday or Saturday (Not this Saturday due to Inferno)

That way the other players will be in and there will be other games and players should there not be Smash. Also I'm sure some people would give Smash. I know I'd love a shot.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    I would say a Wednesday or Saturday (Not this Saturday due to Inferno)

That way the other players will be in and there will be other games and players should there not be Smash. Also I'm sure some people would give Smash. I know I'd love a shot.
    Yeah wednesday sounds good to me, I wound be able to get into the XGC for around 7 pm ish and i could bring ssbm, a wii and 2 controlers. Or if people have problems with the day we could try work something elce out?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Tomorrow sounds good, I should be there and we could get some games going. Will you be bringing the equipment?

Sweet guys good luck!

I've mentioned this a couple of other places, but I can't come to anything Fighting Game related for the next two weeks, so I'll regretfully be missing any casuals you get going (as well as Inferno 10), but I am interested in hearing how it goes and hope to make some games from the middle of July onwards.

GorySnake wrote: »
    Tomorrow sounds good, I should be there and we could get some games going. Will you be bringing the equipment?
    Yeah ill bring my wii and all the cables and crap, just if people can bring there own controlers it would be great :)

Had a few games with Smakis yesterday. I want some more matches.

Made friends with this Falcon when I was in Vancouver, NoobKing. Played a few games agaist him, got raped. Far and away the best player I've ever played.

Holy hell!

That's pretty crazy. Unless there's some secret Irish Ninja Smash Master hiding out in a mountain somewhere I've never met, I don't think anyone from Ireland can compete with that guy.

Not unless we get some hardcore and regular casuals going :D

Well it's like any game really, playing for hours is useless unless you're playing against good people. It just sucks that we've left it go so long on such a good game to try and get something going.

It just sucks that we've left it go so long on such a good game to try and get something going.

To be fair I've run a few things that were quite successful, tried to run a few more that were less so, and tried to get other people to run things to absolute failure.

I think getting involved with the boards fighting game community is a great step forward, but don't confuse lack of success with lack of trying :(

To be fair I've run a few things that were quite successful, tried to run a few more that were less so, and tried to get other people to run things to absolute failure.

I think getting involved with the boards fighting game community is a great step forward, but don't confuse lack of success with lack of trying :(

Yeah, I'm sorry. I was only ever aware of the one tournament and to be honest probably never looked that hard. I think the problem really stems from the fact that Gamecubes were never really all that popular in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Well you guys also now have these forums and sf.ie to make use of for getting the word out there and setting stuff up.

Things really got going for street fighter when we had a forum to get things going.

Advertisement