Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Scotland: Computer Science. Need Work Experience.

Options
  • 02-06-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm applying for Computer Science courses in Scotland next year and I need to get work experience. I have sent around emails and rang various computer companies (Microsoft, Intel etc.) looking for Work Experience, but none of them replied/said that they took on students like me!

Does anyone know of a place where they would accept unpaid interns for Summer Work? I really need to find some!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

AnneG93 wrote: »
    I'm applying for Computer Science courses in Scotland next year and I need to get work experience. I have sent around emails and rang various computer companies (Microsoft, Intel etc.) looking for Work Experience, but none of them replied/said that they took on students like me!

Does anyone know of a place where they would accept unpaid interns for Summer Work? I really need to find some!

UK Colleges dont always look for work experience directly related to your field.
    The majority of students applying to this course wont have such work experience. You could use any work experience to show positive, less industry-specific things about yourself (e.g. hard working, commitment, from working in a corner shop) This is great stuff to fill up your personal statement with..

I did this last year without having any course related work experience and i got loads of offers. You will be grand..
    Good Luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneG93

stainluss wrote: »
    UK Colleges dont always look for work experience directly related to your field.
    The majority of students applying to this course wont have such work experience. You could use any work experience to show positive, less industry-specific things about yourself (e.g. hard working, commitment, from working in a corner shop) This is great stuff to fill up your personal statement with..

I did this last year without having any course related work experience and i got loads of offers. You will be grand..
    Good Luck:)

Thanks for the tips! I to still try my best to get some though, I'd stand a much better chance of getting in if I had Work Experience in the field.
    Did you accept any of the courses you applied for or was it just back-up for CAO?

Thanks for the tips! I to still try my best to get some though, I'd stand a much better chance of getting in if I had Work Experience in the field.
    Did you accept any of the courses you applied for or was it just back-up for CAO?

Back up for the CAO..Slightly less points in UK for my courses.

I think it could be quite hard to get work experience in one of the big computer firms.

IMO, if you really want to get related experience, maybe ask in a local PC shop or something.

stainluss wrote: »
    Back up for the CAO..Slightly less points in UK for my courses.

I think it could be quite hard to get work experience in one of the big computer firms.

IMO, if you really want to get related experience, maybe ask in a local PC shop or something.

Yeah good point. My career guidance teacher recommended the big companies but I think it would be far easier to find a smaller firm ^^

Oh and did you take the Scottish or CAO course in the end?

• Advertisement

Oh and did you take the Scottish or CAO course in the end?

Doing my LC next week...

I've chosen my UCAS Firm and Insurance but I'd say I'll end up choosing the CAO, If I get enough points, hopefully.

Advertisement