Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair pro-Palistenian Mod

Options
  • 02-06-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Well, I have been banned for two weeks by Scofflaw on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055925846

It has to do with the very contentious issue of the Israeli raid on the flotilla. I was posting from a pro-Israeli viewpoint on this extremely decisive topic.

I stand by all my posts and the moderator who banned has been very active on the thread standing with the anti-Israeli viewpoint which I have no problem with. If you read through the thread, you will see the anti-Semitism and anti-Israeli vitriol pouring out unashamedly.

The moderator, in a PM to me, stated - "And if you feel that I must be personally or politically biased against you in order to make a moderation decision against you, all I can say is "welcome to that club"."

My question - Is free speech a part of boards - how does my comments get banned but the most anti-Israeli comments are OK? Granted, the guys that made the jewish Gas and ZyclonB jibes were rightly banned but you cannot put my comments anywhere near that category.

Eamo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hi there

The standard dispute resolution procedure is to contact teh Mods of the forum first, then to discuss the issue with the category mods, then to come here.

As Scofflaw has increased your ban due on the grounds of receiving an abusive PM, I think its safe to say that you've taken at least the first of those steps.

Have you discussed the issue with the Category Mods? If so, what was the outcome?

In answer to your question regarding free speech, I'd like to direct you at the boards.ie FAQ where you'll find this written:
    No freedom of speech.

This is a private website. There is no "right" to freedom of speech here. We, the Admins and moderators DO want to promote discussion but FREE un-moderated discussion online turns into a screaming match between children. We believe that rules of etiquette should be applied (see below). Shouting about how we have infringed your "freedom of speech" on a privately owned website is silly. You can use blogger.com to say what YOU like, what you aren’t entitled to is access to the community we have built here without abiding by the community's rules, as decided and enforced by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'll just add, for the record, that I've banned 10 people on that thread so far. Of those, 6 are anti-Israeli and 4 are pro-Israeli, although in two cases what was being said was so bizarre it's hard to classify them for sure, which would make it 5 anti to 3 pro.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement