Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia warranty

• 02-06-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all, I have an 08 Kia Ceed with a clutch problem which the dealer has told me will not be covered by the 7yr warranty. They have told me the entire clutch mechanism must be replaced at my expense - about EUR800 - and then I can sort out reclaiming it from Kia myself. (The symptom is that the biting point is getting nearer and nearer to the floor). I bought the car with a 7yr warranty and am a bit surprised about the dealer's view. Anyone have any experience of making claims against the Kia warranty. I did try to search the forum but "kia" is too short a search term. Rgds,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A clutch is generally considered a "consumable" item by a manufacturer i.e. something that is very easily damaged by the driver.

If I were in your position now I would agree with the dealer to get an independant accessor in to look at the clutch. If he finds its a part failure then the dealer pays for the fee, and if its driver error then you foot the bill.

Clutches are easy to burn out - even in the space of a minute if your not careful. I'd say whats happened here is that the dealer has inspected the clutch disc, found scorch marks and or other evidence of driver error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

A clutch is generally considered a "consumable" item by a manufacturer i.e. something that is very easily damaged by the driver.

If I were in your position now I would agree with the dealer to get an independant accessor in to look at the clutch. If he finds its a part failure then the dealer pays for the fee, and if its driver error then you foot the bill.

Clutches are easy to burn out - even in the space of a minute if your not careful. I'd say whats happened here is that the dealer has inspected the clutch disc, found scorch marks and or other evidence of driver error.

Did the dealer inspect it? Or did he just arrive at his conclusion? I would say a clutch should last far more than 2 years.. more like 10!

Write to Kia.. ask for good wiil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

si_guru wrote: »
    Did the dealer inspect it? Or did he just arrive at his conclusion? I would say a clutch should last far more than 2 years.. more like 10!

Write to Kia.. ask for good wiil!

Did you not read my post or did you just choose to ignore it?

A clutch should last the lifetime of the car, but then again it can be destroyed literally in seconds by some dodgy driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Did you not read my post or did you just choose to ignore it?

A clutch should last the lifetime of the car, but then again it can be destroyed literally in seconds by some dodgy driving.

Yes. Did you read mine?

Did the dealer actually inspect it? - question to OP not you.

I suspect not. As that too would be warranty work too. I would write directly to Kia and ask for an inspection, at least, under good will.

The dealer is not Kia, he is prejudiced to any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

I'm with DrummerBoy on this, lifetime of a clutch can vary, dodgy driving will see it gone in seconds.

Saw a woman driving her 10 reg Auris yesterday, traffic light went red and she held the car on the hill using the clutch until the light went green again, circa two minutes.

I suspect she will have a similar experience with Toyota shortly and get the same response from the dealer.

OP, the dealer is not Kia. They can not carry the work free of charge as they will not be paid by Kia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement