Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boosting BHP, is it possible?

• 02-06-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to 'Boost' the BHP of a given engine; Example; Just suppose I bought a second hand Citroen C4 1.4 (75 BHP), would I be able to have her hooked-up to a lap top in the garage, & have the BHP upped^ to (86 BHP) . . . . for example?

Curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

You could get the ECU remapped and youd see some gains from it

EDIT: I just checked some remap sites and they only seem to do the diesel engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gitb1 wrote: »
    You could get the ECU remapped and youd see some gains from it

EDIT: I just checked some remap sites and they only seem to do the diesel engines

Oh Bum, I was thinking of the petrol version :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Im sure some of the real petrol heads on here could give you some better advice on ways of increasing power so I wouldnt write the idea off yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

N/a petrol cars will see little to no returns from remapping or chipping.

A 1.4 75bhp car is not a good base to start getting power out of, you could spend a decent bit on induction and exhaust mod's but only see 10bhp increase at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

draffodx wrote: »
    N/a petrol cars will see little to no returns from remapping or chipping.

A 1.4 75bhp car is not a good base to start getting power out of, you could spend a decent bit on induction and exhaust mod's but only see 10bhp increase at most.

+1. Turbos will benefit most from chipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would start at the other end - decrease.
    Decrease weight by removing every single thing not needed, swap spare wheel for a can of tyre goo, things like that.
    Decrease crap by using additives to clean the engine and clean what you can inside the engine, TB, MAF etc.
    Maybe get a K&N air filter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

while I'm reading I should probably ask, is it worth it for an A4 1.9 TDi (130bhp) and also what are the reprocussions insurance wise?? or is it a low key jobo??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

while I'm reading I should probably ask, is it worth it for an A4 1.9 TDi (130bhp) and also what are the reprocussions insurance wise?? or is it a low key jobo??

Youre in luck, the VAG TDIs remap among the best of any stock engine, big performance and drivability improvement along with a slight MPG improvement too. It can be low key if you want it to be, virtually undetectable.. [Boards.ie disclaimer] but thats insurance fraud etc[/Boards.ie disclaimer].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Youre in luck, the VAG TDIs remap among the best of any stock engine, big performance and drivability improvement along with a slight MPG improvement too. It can be low key if you want it to be, virtually undetectable.. [Boards.ie disclaimer] but thats insurance fraud etc[/Boards.ie disclaimer].

And then you can stick on your S4 badges and you will be made!

Apart from the black diesel marks on your rear grille! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Matt Simis wrote: »

Thanks for that!

Next question is, where does one get it looked after? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

one off the top of my head.. Im sure theres more though!!

http://autoremap.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for that!

Next question is, where does one get it looked after? :)

Just be aware that it can be detected and insurance companies are increasingly investing in equipment to detect remaps in the events of a claim.

And also the added stress on the car, your clutch wont last as long for example.

Advertisement