Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M50 speed cameras

Options
  • 02-06-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Noticed white lines on the M50 northbound today just before J3, think it was on all lanes not sure, but im pretty sure they weren't their yesterday. They are painted exactly like the garda fixed camera setup, just cant see where the cameras are going to go? The gantry behind seems a bit far back?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, noticed them this morning. Don't think they were there yesterday.
    They're in about the same place as the camera used to be before the upgrade work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Because of all those horrible accidents that happen on motorways ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stonewolf wrote: »

Especially on motorways that have artificially lowered limits already!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stonewolf wrote: »
    Money trees grow better at the side of motorways...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Looking at this today, the only pace where they could mount the cameras is on the VWS gantry a little south of it. It will be covering all four lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Speed camera on the M50 is pointless as the M50 has so many regular users. radar cams would be far more effective.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Especially on motorways that have artificially lowered limits already!

They arent artificially lowered. The lane widths have been reduced hence a lower speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

godtabh wrote: »
    They arent artificially lowered. The lane widths have been reduced hence a lower speed limit

the design speed of the road is still higher than 100km/ph.

godtabh wrote: »

why should that matter in the slightest?

Most of that road is designed for 160kph and should be 120, slightly narrower lanes is not a good reason to lower it to 100. the lanes are still wide enough for all vehicles and properly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

where is junction 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

why should that matter in the slightest?

Most of that road is designed for 160kph and should be 120, slightly narrower lanes is not a good reason to lower it to 100. the lanes are still wide enough for all vehicles and properly marked.

I've used the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges for many years and have never seen 160 km/h design speed.

the maximum design speed is 120 km/h,

I've used the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges for many years and have never seen 160 km/h design speed.

the maximum design speed is 120 km/h,

its come up here and and the motors forum dozens of times from various sources that Irish motorway are designed to a spec 160kph. I dunno if its entirely true but I've seen it enough on here to believe it.

By its very nature a road with a legal maximum speed of 120 will have to be capable of allowing greater speed, otherwise the majority of traffic will be operating at the limit of the roads design which is inherently dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

where is junction 3?
    M1/airport

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

where is junction 3?

M1/M50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I dunno if its entirely true but I've seen it enough on here to believe it.

Sweet Jesus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

its come up here and and the motors forum dozens of times from various sources that Irish motorway are designed to a spec 160kph. I dunno if its entirely true but I've seen it enough on here to believe it.

By its very nature a road with a legal maximum speed of 120 will have to be capable of allowing greater speed, otherwise the majority of traffic will be operating at the limit of the roads design which is inherently dangerous.

The design speed in the DMRB (Design manual for roads and bridges) is used to design for the specified road type & speed. It doesn't mean you can't travel faster. It is a design speed that gives you safe geometry, signhtlines, spec etc. to design a road. These will have a safety factor built into them of course but it still remains at 120 km/h. The safety factor could be 1.5 or 2.0. That I do not know.

The 160 km/h come from the fact that it corresponded to 100 mph and everyone assumed that this was the magical number.

The design speeds are from memory

120 km/h
    100 km/h
    85 km/h
    70 km/h
    60 km/h
    50 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

The design speed in the DMRB (Design manual for roads and bridges) is used to design for the specified road type & speed. It doesn't mean you can't travel faster. It is a design speed that gives you safe geometry, signhtlines, spec etc. to design a road. These will have a safety factor built into them of course but it still remains at 120 km/h. The safety factor could be 1.5 or 2.0. That I do not know.

The 160 km/h come from the fact that it corresponded to 100 mph and everyone assumed that this was the magical number.

The design speeds are from memory

120 km/h
    100 km/h
    85 km/h
    70 km/h
    60 km/h
    50 km/h

These figures are correct. Table 3 of NRA TD 9/05 lists the safe design parameters for each design speed. The maximum design speed is 120km/h.

Well regardless, it means its designed to at least 120 then, if not 160. so why is it only 100, as the lanes are a foot or 2 narrower? That doesn't make sense to me.

tonc76 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus :rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek:

Something on the internet that may be true, shocking. Why not believe stuff posted on boards, it provides a lot of useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Not sure what needs to be done but can this thread be merged with this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928792:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Regardless of whether the speed limits are logical or not, I suggest that anyone who has observed a speed camera being set up should report their observations here:
    http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/

SeanW wrote: »
    Regardless of whether the speed limits are logical or not, I suggest that anyone who has observed a speed camera being set up should report their observations here:
    http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/

the fixed cameras are disgracfully biased towards the upper east coast :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Well regardless, it means its designed to at least 120 then, if not 160. so why is it only 100, as the lanes are a foot or 2 narrower? That doesn't make sense to me.

Because most Irish drivers dont seem to be able to use motorways properly.
    The lack of lane discipline people have here makes a higher speed limit alot more dangerous.
    Also - lane widths have a huge impact on the maximum safe speed. If they're narrower, lane drift is much more likely at higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

:eek::eek::eek:

Something on the internet that may be true, shocking. Why not believe stuff posted on boards, it provides a lot of useful information.

Rather than believe what people say on an anonymous forum why not research a topic properly before forming an opinion??

PS I've got a bag of magic beans that I'll sell to you for €1,000 - interested?:pac:

tonc76 wrote: »
    Rather than believe what people say on an anonymous forum why not research a topic properly before forming an opinion??

PS I've got a bag of magic beans that I'll sell to you for €1,000 - interested?:pac:

I can form an opinion on anything I wish without having to go research it. and while what you've said there is plainly ridiculous, I would consider it sensible for our roads to have a much higher design speed than the legal limit allows, purely for safety reasons.

There are several scenarios where vehicles (Emergency services) have to travel well in excess of 120 for example. 160 pkh also roughly equates to 100mph, which is where it probably comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Traffic on a busy section like the M1-M50 flows best at about 60km/h. The faster individuals go, the less traffic the road can carry and the greater likelihood of accidents.

There is a serious problem on that section with weaving traffic and foolish people crossing hatched areas, rushing to get into the "fast" lane.

While a road may be designed for a particular speed, is that speed suited to the users and their vehicles?

Going from the Red Cow to the airport, going at 120km/h might save you 2-3 minutes.

Victor wrote: »
    Traffic on a busy section like the M1-M50 flows best at about 60km/h. The faster individuals go, the less traffic the road can carry and the greater likelihood of accidents.

when was the last time you were on the m50?, even at rush hour it generally flows at 100 these days. (well, the outside lane anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

larryone wrote: »
    Because most Irish drivers dont seem to be able to use motorways properly.
    The lack of lane discipline people have here makes a higher speed limit alot more dangerous.
    Exactly. People moving at 120 (and beyond, since inevitably you'd have people going faster) coupled with the mad weaving, middle-lane drivers, people who expect motorway traffic to give way to them as they merge off a slip road, etc. would cause absolute chaos IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

when was the last time you were on the m50?,
    At rush hour sometime last summer. I'm specifically referring to the Santry-Airport bit.
    even at rush hour it generally flows at 100 these days. (well, the outside lane anyway)
    That evening it was about 20km/h because of people's poor driving. While it appeared as if there was severe congestion ahead from say an accident, the reality was that people were weaving between lanes and braking excessively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There is a serious problem on that section with weaving traffic and foolish people crossing hatched areas, rushing to get into the "fast" lane.

There sure is,a Vic,there surely is.....:)

Which is why the Irish version of the DMRB really needs to be rewritten asap to cope with a certain inability/resistance to obeying any of the rules of motorway driving which other,more sophisticated cultures readily accept.

The first item to be dispensed with is the "Solid Bordered Hatched Area" which is simply regarded as an item specifically provided to assist those motorists who happen to be running late and as a consequence need to get ahead of everybody else.

These SBHA`s are wildly overused and over-abused on the Irish National Primary route network and a programme of converting them to either an fully kerbed island OR intigrating the space into the lane system.

But,of course,what is totally missing from the "new improved" M50 is any real Garda Traffic Corps presence,especially around the on-off ramps.

A dedicated presence at these locations would yield a kings-ransom in Fixed-Penalty notices as the Middle-Lane hogs who suddenly hang a left to leave the M-way felt their collars being tugged..... :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement