Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M50 speed cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

T-Square wrote: »

No sign of it yet-looks like it will be mounted behind the signs for the Firhouse junction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Stark wrote: »
    The roadworks have finished on the M50.

Except at the Blanch exit. Which is still a 60k zone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Which doesn't exactly justify a speed camera at Firhouse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No sign of it yet-looks like it will be mounted behind the signs for the Firhouse junction

The lines on the road are located beside the '200m to off ramp exit' or whatever those signs are officially called, at junction 12 - Firhouse, northbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Stonewolf wrote: »
    These cameras are not on the works areas, they're on the completed motorway which in theory should be a very safe place to drive.

<sigh>

I am aware of that - I was just using it as an example of the blatent disregard many seem to have of speed limits....

I'll try again for the hard of understanding.

STICK TO BELOW THE POSTED SPEED LIMITS AT ALL TIMES AND THESE CAMERAS WILL COST YOU NOTHING. IF YOU CANNOT DO SO THEN YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF HOLDING A DRIVING LICENCE.

Yes motorways are (relatively) safe as the the speed bands (should be) narrower than on other roads, BUT the higher speed at which such accidents take place lead to more serious consequences.

Are we clear now????

Motorway accidents generally tend to take place at much lower relative speeds, hence why they're so safe. If you're doing 120km/hr and hit a car doing 100km/hr, the speed of that impact is 20km/hr. If you're doing 60km/hr on a single carriageway and hit another car coming against you 60km/hr, the speed of that impact is 120km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Motorway accidents generally tend to take place at much lower relative speeds, hence why they're so safe. If you're doing 120km/hr and hit a car doing 100km/hr, the speed of that impact is 20km/hr. If you're doing 60km/hr on a single carriageway and hit another car coming against you 60km/hr, the speed of that impact is 120km/hr.

This may not do you much good, if the next thing you hit is a concrete barrier or barrier.

The vast majority of the car's momentum is in a direction that's parallel to the concrete barrier. Even if you're significantly deflected from an impact with another vehicle, your speed in the axis perpendicular to the barrier is never going to be significant. The major danger with hitting the barrier is on motorways with wire barriers/grass medians where you could cross over into the other carriageway and end up in the head on situation. But that's not an issue on the M50 with its concrete barrier. The barrier is also stepped so if you hit it, it's not absorbing the full momentum of the car all at once and more than likely your wheels will bounce off it without even suffering bodywork damage to the car.

Believe it or not, motorways are safe roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I always find it funny when driving on a bad bendy N road with a terrible surface somewhere in the country that has a 100kph limit, and think that it's rated with the same speed limit as the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you're doing 60km/hr on a single carriageway and hit another car coming against you 60km/hr, the speed of that impact is 120km/hr.
    Thats not true. The speed of the impact is 60km/hr.*

* Newtons Third Law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Good point, shows importance of central median crash barriers.

However, impact speed would be ever so slightly less than in the examples you cited as outlined in Special Theory of Relativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

If you're doing 60km/hr on a single carriageway and hit another car coming against you 60km/hr, the speed of that impact is 120km/hr.

That is incorrect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GuqiAHGGT4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Can anyone tell me if the camera before Firhouse is active yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nephew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the camera before Firhouse is active yet?

Both this one (Firhouse) and the one at junction 3 (M1) aren't in as of today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

A common misconception is that this over-representation is because the relative velocity of vehicles traveling in opposite directions is high. It was previously thought that a head-on crash between two vehicles traveling at 50 is roughly equivalent to a vehicle hitting a stationary vehicle at 100 Km/h.

However, experimentation in 2010 showed that due to Newton's Third Law, the actual result of such a collision is equivalent to hitting a stationary near-immovable object at 50 Km/h.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Okay, fair enough. But a stationary near immovable object would be something like a tree and we all know the damage hitting one of those can do compared to hitting something like a brick wall or the back of another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

It doesn't matter what the impact energy of two vehicles colliding head on is (and that argument is moot unless we all drive carbon copies of each others vehicles), to argue that a roads safety is not improved by preventing a vehicle travelling in one direction from striking a vehicle travelling in the other direction is foolish.

The simple fact is that a dual carriageway of more than one lane with fully grade separated junctions, clear sightlines and gentle bends is massively safer than a normal road especially where generous provision of median and verge are provided. Head on collisions are eliminated, collisions due to crossing traffic are eliminated, loss of control incidents are reduced, the distance at which hazards can be detected is increased and the extra lane(s) mean that faster vehicles can overtake slower vehicles with considerably greater safety*. All of these factors combine to make motorways exceptionally safe at high speeds especially where drivers use correct driving discipline and etiquette. If our roads have a design speed limit of only 120km/h then their designers have been remarkably short sighted and have left us with a network of roadways which will inevitably be looked upon as we now look at the winding old victorian built rail lines**.

* Faster travelling vehicles being stuck behind slower travelling vehicles produces impatience and road rage which causes the faster vehicle to take risks which can lead to accidents, as a case in point I know a family that nearly lost a son when an oncoming vehicle pulled out to overtake an overtaking car in front of his motorbike. His friend who was riding with him wasn't so lucky.

** What's with all the bloody bends in the Irish motorway network, has nobody at the NRA heard of a ruler?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

Can anyone tell me if this speed camera is in operation? It was round Firhouse! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Didn't see any sign Yesterday or today of cameras on overhead gantry or by side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cherryfizz wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this speed camera is in operation? It was round Firhouse! Thanks

They weren't installed at friday evening, I haven't passed by since then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I went by earlier and don't think they were in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cherryfizz

Thanks for the reply. Just whizzed by and it got me by surpirse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

So have either of the camera's been installed at Firhouse/M1 junction? Went for a spin last night and reckon I was doing 105kph when i went over the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

No sign of it yet I don't think.
    Went through it yesterday at 120 and there was no flash.

I presume the cameras will be on the overhead gantry and capture rear plates. Anyone know if they are ever set up to capture rear plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

should they not be set up to photograph the front of the vehicle to help identify the driver? otherwise 'sharing/transfer' of penalty points could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

If they took a photo of the front of the vehicle they wouldn't be able to tax motorcycles as well.

should they not be set up to photograph the front of the vehicle to help identify the driver? otherwise 'sharing/transfer' of penalty points could happen.

That happens anyway. The photograph is only there to jog the car owner's memory so they know to transfer the points if they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Keith186 wrote: »
    No sign of it yet I don't think.
    Went through it yesterday at 120 and there was no flash.

I presume the cameras will be on the overhead gantry and capture rear plates. Anyone know if they are ever set up to capture rear plates.

I think the camera will be a fixed Gatso t the side of the road judging by the location of the painted lines on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whatever about sight lines, lane widths, limits vs targets and the balance between personal responsibility and idiocy prevention, the fact that the motorway around our capital city is not capable of supporting speeds above 100kph is a national embarassment.

Advertisement