Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M50 speed cameras

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't see a problem with a 100kmph speed limit on the M50.

It's 45km long so unless you're traveling the full way around where you'll save 7 and a half minutes, is losing a few minutes really going to make a huge difference to your life?

I doubt many people travel more than 15km per trip on the M50 which means they'll lose around 2-3 minutes. Wow, lets' hold an inquiry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

It's 45km long so unless you're traveling the full way around where you'll save 7 and a half minutes, is losing a few minutes really going to make a huge difference to your life?

I doubt many people travel more than 15km per trip on the M50 which means they'll lose around 2-3 minutes. Wow, lets' hold an inquiry!

Yeah but the national speed limit is supposed to be 120 so why isn't that the speed limit?
    They charge up to 3e a trip if you've to cross the bridge for the privilege so really it should be the same speed as the rest of them.
    Now its more annoying that there's speed cameras and the limit is too low!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Plenty of people who only travel 45km or less on the M8, M9, M6, M7 motorways. Should they be limited to 100km/hr as well?

Back on topic, still no sign of cameras here that I can see incase anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lumen wrote: »
    Whatever about sight lines, lane widths, limits vs targets and the balance between personal responsibility and idiocy prevention, the fact that the motorway around our capital city is not capable of supporting speeds above 100kph is a national embarassment.

I beg to differ, I flew round it at not below 110-120kmh earlier in a bandy corsa that's 14 years old and was being constantly overtaken as well as being perfectly safe because unlike most people in this country I KNOW HOW to drive on a motorway. Middle lane hoggers forced me to hog the middle and fast lanes - as I overtake the assholes, people flashing me to get out of the way. No speed cameras lines, let alone cameras themselves on the southbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

sdonn wrote: »
    unlike most people in this country I KNOW HOW to drive on a motorway. Middle lane hoggers forced me to hog the middle and fast lanes.

Since when have our motorways had fast lanes, last I checked we had overtaking lanes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Since when have our motorways had fast lanes, last I checked we had overtaking lanes.....

Colloquial use of the word, sorry. I of all people know damn well it's an overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

New location overnight. Latest one is southbound before Exit 6 Blanch. Their is ls two little cameras now on the VMS at junction 3 which point at lanes 2 and 3 (two more right hand lanes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Davy wrote: »
    New location overnight. Latest one is southbound before Exit 6 Blanch. Their is ls two little cameras now on the VMS at junction 3 which point at lanes 2 and 3 (two more right hand lanes)

These are traffic flow cameras. AFAIK they are not speed camera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

If there are no calibaration markings (white parallel lines 1m apart) on the gound it isn't a speed camera, it is most likely a traffic flow camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

T-Square wrote: »
    If there are no calibaration markings (white parallel lines 1m apart) on the gound it isn't a speed camera, it is most likely a traffic flow camera.

Also being discussed over in Motors.

Just to confirm Has anyone actually seen any road markings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are the cameras at Firhouse active yet? Saw a good few people flying through at speed the other night but so sign of camera flashes.

These are traffic flow cameras. AFAIK they are not speed camera's.

They usually point facing the traffic, the ones on teh VMS at junction 3 are facing with the flow, and at the line makings on the road. They are quite small, not anything like the usual fixed gatso, but seems strange that they are pointing at the lines.

T-Square wrote: »

Their is white parallel lines, at junction 3 M1, and at Firhouse both northbound, and then southbound before Exit 6 Blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bistrita

last night they were working / painting the speed checking lines before Blanchardstown exit (J6) south direction. no sign of cameras on top yet.

however 3 small cameras are on position before M1 junction on M50 facing the speed checking lines on all 4 lanes of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

bistrita wrote: »
    last night they were working / painting the speed checking lines before Blanchardstown exit (J6) south direction. no sign of cameras on top yet.

however 3 small cameras are on position before M1 junction on M50 facing the speed checking lines on all 4 lanes of traffic.

The small cameras are not for speed checking.

The small cameras are not for speed checking.

What are they for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

What are they for?

They are either Number Plate Recognition Cameras - used for journey time analysis or Incident Detection Cameras - used to determine when traffic is stationary and to alert VMS signage etc.

Then again, maybe they're just decoration ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

big brother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Northbound at Firhouse is a bit cashgen as it's at the bottom of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Anyone know if these cameras are working yet?

• Advertisement

clunked wrote: »
    Anyone know if these cameras are working yet?

Don't think so, haven't got any notices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

Noticed white lines on the M50 northbound today just before J3, think it was on all lanes not sure, but im pretty sure they weren't their yesterday. They are painted exactly like the garda fixed camera setup, just cant see where the cameras are going to go? The gantry behind seems a bit far back?

I think the new name for these is TAX TRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 8 phil7870

anyone know if these are working yet ? did anyone get a fine yet ?

phil7870 wrote: »
    anyone know if these are working yet ? did anyone get a fine yet ?

Still not working from what I can see. Not sure what the point of them are tbh.

Maybe they realised they'll he more dangerous than helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

anywhere to find speed camera locations on the M50 ?

or are there any permnant speed cameras on the M50 at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

robbie_998 wrote: »
    anywhere to find speed camera locations on the M50 ?

or are there any permnant speed cameras on the M50 at all ?

As far as I'm aware there are still no fixed speed cameras on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

Recently for work I travelled the full length of the m50 for 5 months , twice a day, 5 days a week.. and never once got caught speeding

(because i wasn`t speeding, obviously..?)

Advertisement