Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre BB in Louth Namely Dundalk

• 02-06-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Has anyone any ideas if UPC etc have any plans to bring their Fibre BB to Dundalk as being one of the biggest towns in Ireland, we don't exactly have a great choice.

I cant find anything out on their site or any fibre providers site.

I for one would be willing to pay the preimium for proper BB here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Dundalk once had several cable networks - one in MNMór and Bay estate run by the defunct McGahon + O'Neill - the other a private network in Priorland.
    Both have not been operational for years and are probably long dismantled - so in short the answer is no :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Yep the maghon and o'neill stuff is still there I can see it across the street but that was for "piped" tv which was'nt great at the best of times...

Here's dreaming for fibre !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I heard talk a few months back of UPC coming end of 2010 - first quarter of 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gee-em

NTL had fibre between Belfast and Dublin that went along the old Dublin road so depending on who took ownership of that after the sell off (NTL Telewest in the North or UPC in the South) it could potentially be used for TV/BB/Phone.
    e|net also have a MAN in Dundalk (http://www.e-net.ie/selected-map.html) which other providers can get access to and ESBT have a PoP opposite the college, I guess providers don't see it as economically viable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Thats interesting the fibre line seems to run only 100 metres from my house :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ntl say they have no planes for BB in dundalk :( So is there any other good BB compines up here that dont limit the amount you download :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

approach h2o networks in Banbridge

http://www.h2o-ireland.com/

But FIRST get the wayleaves in your estate to go overground with the cable!!! be it fibre or co - ax. H20 are active in Dundalk but do not have the resources to go house to house getting wayleaves.

Tell the neighbours it is for 100mbit broadband instead of third world 3g and they would generally sign up.

As for the mcmahon cable just take it over and feed in rte temporarily to test it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Sponge Bob wrote: »

But FIRST get the wayleaves in your estate to go overground with the cable!!! be it fibre or co - ax. H20 are active in Dundalk but do not have the resources to go house to house getting wayleaves.

Tell the neighbours it is for 100mbit broadband instead of third world 3g and they would generally sign up.

As for the mcmahon cable just take it over and feed in rte temporarily to test it :)

H2O networks deploy to the home in the UK - would it be that different for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1/3rd have septic tanks
    How many have wells or group water schemes.

We were / are in breach of EU water/waste directives for 12 years and have worst polluted beachs even though 1/3 of people arn't connected.

Chaz wrote: »
    H2O networks deploy to the home in the UK - would it be that different for Ireland?

Dude, they are called h2o <hint> Ireland </hint> :cool:

• Advertisement

Dude, they are called h2o <hint> Ireland </hint> :cool:

Its the same company - so why should it be different if they do fibre to the UK household?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An interesting question :)

Other companies in UK with Irish Presence
    Sky (but not selling broadband here)
    Vodafone
    O2
    BT (retail BB now via Vodafone, only wholesale in Ireland now?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Do Dundalk council own the fibre or H2O?.

From memory, neither (I dont know about the older circuits mentioned earlier in the thread).

The main ring in Dundalk is part of the E-Net MAN and you have the likes of ESB that co locate with them and sell services via companies like Digiweb etc.

h20 are doing network extensions off the MAN, the MAN itself ain't.

h20 are doing network extensions off the MAN, the MAN itself ain't.

The MAN was never intending to do the last mile, so makes sense. I am a bit surprised if they are climbing onto the MAN, will dig around today and see if this is correct ....

Chaz wrote: »
    The MAN was never intending to do the last mile, so makes sense. I am a bit surprised if they are climbing onto the MAN, will dig around today and see if this is correct ....

I don't believe H2O are doing anything with ENET at present.

Advertisement