Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average waitress earnings?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi can anyone give me an idea of how much i could earn as a waitress in oz.Im going to be travelling there next october on a working holiday visa and will be looking for casual work.
    Also how much on average is rent for a couple sharing a one bedroomed apartment?:)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Emma216 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone give me an idea of how much i could earn as a waitress in oz.Im going to be travelling there next october on a working holiday visa and will be looking for casual work.
    Also how much on average is rent for a couple sharing a one bedroomed apartment?:)
    Thanks!

The average backpacker wage in Oz is somewhere in the region of 18-25 AUD an hour, but can vary depending on where you are working/what kind of establishment you are in, too, I guess.

Rents are always heavily dependent on location - you don't say whereabouts you are going - Australia is a big country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Emma216

We are thinking of starting on the gold coast and i dont see us staying too long in places like melbourne or sydney.
    Is it difficult for someone to get casual work serving with no experience but with lots of customer service exp (ive worked as a product advisor in a busy health food store for nearly 5 years, so "serving" comes naturally!)
    Any ladies working as a waitress in oz that could let me know on average how good is the tipping per hour also?
    Thanks guys!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Plenty of health food stores all over Australia

Gold coast has a lot of hospitality jobs as it's a tourist mecca.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

Plenty of health food stores all over Australia

Gold coast has a lot of hospitality jobs as it's a tourist mecca.

What would the average hourly pay be, and do they work on commission like over here?Sorry for asking so much about earnings is that id like to get my head around what would be the best paid job i can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

tbh waitressing wages are sh**te unless you go into a top end place in the city, you might get between $21 and $25 an hour, and make decent tips.
    Most of the small cafes pay between $12 and $18 an hr with hardly any tips......it's very hard.
    There's alot of competition for the jobs too.
    Call centre work is ten a dozen in sydney anyway, and don't forget traffic control (savage money)

• Advertisement

amybabes wrote: »
    tbh waitressing wages are sh**te unless you go into a top end place in the city, you might get between $21 and $25 an hour, and make decent tips.
    Most of the small cafes pay between $12 and $18 an hr with hardly any tips......it's very hard.
    There's alot of competition for the jobs too.
    Call centre work is ten a dozen in sydney anyway, and don't forget traffic control (savage money)

I heard the traffic control was good money,but dont you need a driving license for that,something i dont have :(
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

My missus was offered anything from 13-21 dollars ph in various places. Oz employers in hospitality largely treat backpackers like dirt, so be prepared

Advertisement