Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campagnolo Cassette options?

• 02-06-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

I'm doing the Marmotte in July. I have a Record 10 speed cassette 11/25 and I'd like the peace of mind of a 27. Record and Chorus 10 speed cassettes options are limited at the top end, going 25, 26, 29. The 29 needs a new rear mech so that's not an option at that money for a 'one off' spin. A new cassette to go from 25 to 26 doesn't seem worth it (saying that I'd probably smother my granny for one on the day if I don't have it). Miche do a 12/27 campy compatible cassette. At €45 for a one off it seems to make sense. Has anyone used one of these with a Record groupset or are there other options to consider? The cassette will be under pressure with changes under heavy load a distinct possibility so I'd like to be confident there will be no shifting, slipping, etc. issues.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cassette will be under pressure with changes under heavy load a distinct possibility so I'd like to be confident there will be no shifting, slipping, etc. issues.

you should never shift under load, ESPECIALLY not on alpine climbs of the marmotte, all you need is foresight "I think I might need to change in a second."..ease pressure on pedals..shift. start practicing now mate :D

also with shimano cassettes and deraileurs you can get away with 29's Ive heard their tolerences are not tight enough to restrict it, but campag is another thing some else might have specific experience of their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Miche’s Primato cassette continues the groupset’s theme of high performance, precision engineering and very keen pricing. With it’s high lustre chrome finish and a choice between Shimano and Campagnolo patterns it’s a great choice for racing, audax, winter training, and even a spot of light touring.

Emerging from the understated packaging, the mirror finish is mesmerising, yet closer inspection and riding in wet, coastal conditions with minimal lubrication suggests it’s sufficiently hardy for four seasons’ service. Curiously, while obviously machined to save weight, the mid cluster of sprockets are drilled, reminiscent of a bygone era.

Our 12-25 ten speed cluster coupled with the Miche Race Evo provided nigh on perfect ratios for my style of fast paced road riding-up hill and down dale, laden or otherwise. Running a 700x23 wheel/tyre comb along with a 53X36 chainset equated to gearing between 37.8 and a whopping 116.1 inches while a compact triple would provide a useful bail out for weary legs and/or hauling trailers/tag-alongs in more mountainous regions. Being a cassette means not only easy replacement of favourite ratios but easy tweaks to suit conditions.

Nylon spacers are largely fit and forget-especially compared with the aluminium type but that said they proved trickier to snug down in the first instance. I’m a man for a’la Carte componentry and am delighted to report these performed harmoniously with a KMC chain, Campagnolo Centaur mechs and the Race Evo crankset. Shifts both up and down the cassette are effortless-even under load thanks to precise machining and selective ramping. Priced to compete with Veloce, it delivers markedly slicker shifting and could be an inexpensive means of putting extra sparkle into this or say a Mirage groupset.
    Verdict

Good, durable and keenly priced Campagnolo alternative.

Review

Reading around the "Primato" get a lot of stick for not being very durable, only good for 1000 miles or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I believe the wheels I got off Furiousox last year had a Miche cassette and it served me well all the way thru the winter and early spring plus whatever Furiousox put on them. Ran perfectly with Campag mechs and Mavic chain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

100Suns wrote: »
    Has anyone used one of these with a Record groupset or are there other options to consider?

I used one once. Twas grand. BBB also do campag cassettes. Also no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Thanks me@ucd. I have no intention of changing under load but I predict, with near certainty, it will happen on 3 July. More than once. Or twice. I've seen from your other posts your a veteran of the Marmotte-I presume you agree 25 may be a little light on gears?? Thanks

• Advertisement

I used a 53/39x25 the first year I did it, but cadence was rediculous on the top 6k+ of the galibier especially near 60/55 alot of time. after that year I went for a 27, then the next year I went to a compact 34x23 [same gearing as a 39x27 but much nicer steps between them ;)] then the next year went to a 34x25 all these steps each year made a 5rpm difference to cadence on the long climbs, my avg going from 60~ =>75~ much better than the first year.

yes minimum 27 Id say if you have a 39t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

You could always get a Centaur Med Derailleur ( 09 is Chorus !) or even Veloce and put on the 13-29 cassette, get the lot for £100 - £120.

me@ucd wrote: »
    I used a 53/39x25 the first year I did it, but cadence was rediculous on the top 6k+ of the galibier especially near 60/55 alot of time. after that year I went for a 27, then the next year I went to a compact 34x23 [same gearing as a 39x27 but much nicer steps between them ;)] then the next year went to a 34x25 all these steps each year made a 5rpm difference to cadence on the long climbs, my avg going from 60~ =>75~ much better than the first year.

yes minimum 27 Id say if you have a 39t.

Thanks again. 60/55 cadence is a lot of suffering with that distance behind you on Galibier. I'm a grinder not a spinner but that's pushing it. I like the gaps on the 39/27 option too but am seriously considering sticking on the 34 in case of emergencies. I really want the 53 on the descents, particaularly without the 11, not that I expect I'm going to use it that much. The other option is the 38/52 Q rings-I find them great on longish climbs if you can get a good rhythm going.
    I've ordered the Miche 12/27. I'm planning on using it with the Qs in the Wicklow 200 to see how I get on. I know there's no real comparison on the length of the climbs but if it doesn't work out in Wicklow it'll be a problem in France.

Dont mean to hijack your thread, but do you notice a real difference with the Q Rings ?

Thanks again. 60/55 cadence is a lot of suffering with that distance behind you on Galibier. I'm a grinder not a spinner but that's pushing it. I like the gaps on the 39/27 option too but am seriously considering sticking on the 34 in case of emergencies. I really want the 53 on the descents, particaularly without the 11, not that I expect I'm going to use it that much. The other option is the 38/52 Q rings-I find them great on longish climbs if you can get a good rhythm going.
    I've ordered the Miche 12/27. I'm planning on using it with the Qs in the Wicklow 200 to see how I get on. I know there's no real comparison on the length of the climbs but if it doesn't work out in Wicklow it'll be a problem in France.

Definitely. Out of the saddle not so much but they are easier to establish and maintain a powerful rhythm on the flat or on drags. I'm a grinder and I do feel they help find and hold a cadence 'sweetspot'. They do take a little getting used to in order to gt the max out of them. I have the standard rings on the hacker for commuting and I do notice a difference when I get on the race bike (apart for the weigth saving, tubs, etc..). There was a good article in Pro Cycling or Cycle Sport in the last month or so which concluded that contractual arrangements was the only reason pro teams weren't qeueing at the factory gate for them. I'll dig out the issue no. for you if you want.

• Advertisement

Hmmm very interesting, I guess they get unfairly pigeonholed as a gimmick by many as a result of other manufacturers unsuccessful attempts.

The Shimano Biopace experiment didn't end well. I read somewhere that Shimano were negotiating to buy the patent off Rotor. Cervelo Test Team use them and Wiggins and a few others use versions on their TT bikes. Check out the article-interesting reading.

Thanks again. 60/55 cadence is a lot of suffering with that distance behind you on Galibier.
    yup! especially with the finishing climb of alpe dhuez to come :rolleyes:
    gooood that was a sufferfest!
    I really want the 53 on the descents, particaularly without the 11, not that I expect I'm going to use it that much.

trust me, get a compact and be done with it ;) the 53 you dont need on the descents if your good at descending, most are steep enough to tuck and go faster than a 53x11 and then you have all the corners/bends.
    I was concerned about that too before I dropped the 53, but I descend alpine climbs very fast so it wasnt an issue for me at the time, and trust me you'll want all/most of the freewheeling you can get on the descents! :D

Murph100 wrote: »
    Hmmm very interesting, I guess they get unfairly pigeonholed as a gimmick by many as a result of other manufacturers unsuccessful attempts.

See Pro Cycling May 2010. They present comparisons at threshold power etc. for watts, max hr and avg hr. Q's ahead by 3/4% on all categories.;)

Advertisement