Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Bord Gais taking the mickey

Options
  • 02-06-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Mods maybe this should be in the Alternative energy supplier thread feel free to move.
    Firstly I have my leccy from BGE and no major hassle getting my discount.
    A few weeks ago they announced that instead of getting 5% in year 2 and 5% in year 3 they were now going to give 10% in year 2 saying something like ESB will be allowed to compete so we are bringing forward the discount sounds good. There was a lot of discussion here and on other fora that if you changed to wife/partner you would be a new customer and get the max discount all over again.
    Anyway I went in to look at the discounts again and saw this

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB Customer Supply regulated domestic tariff unit rate. The discount is applicable for the shorter of either: (a) 12 months from switching or (b) until such time as ESB domestic tariffs cease to be regulated. After this period the then applicable Bord Gáis Energy standard tariff will apply. Terms and conditions apply.

Being a bit dense I rang and asked if I am set up as a new customer (or my other half is) do I get 10% up til June 2011 oh yes absolutely but what if ESB come back into the market in March it was all over the papers last week that they would. Well in that case no it wont be 10% and what about year 2 10%??? well again if ESB are back in the market we wouldnt see the rate being 10%.
    Now it is stated Policy by the Regulator guy that once ESB loss so many cusotmers that they can do what they want. the target for this is March2011 is this false advertising as NO ONE will get 10% beyond March unless of course BGE stop taking customers and keep ESB at a level above what the Regulator wants. I suppose you could say well read the T&Cs but I will bet very few people saw this and I didnt see Lucy shouting this on the ad while ago. What do you guys think

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/electricity/billing/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its going to get cheaper whats their to complain about. Getting the year three discount in year two is to the customers advantage as your getting the discount of a higher price. Score.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Getting the year three discount in year two is to the customers advantage as your getting the discount of a higher price. Score.
    True except it wont run at 10% you'll get maybe 8/9 months. My point is that they are "suggesting" that its for a year but know that its not.
    So I went off to look at Airtricity who effectively say if you dont sign on by 30/06/10 you wont qualify for their offer.
    I think in March 2011 we will have little real competition. ESB will drop its price, the other two will stay slightly under them, but negligiably so, the big question to me is will ESB sell gas and at what price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they'll be selling gas soon enough. firt on a commercial basis then to the dosmestic market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ted1 wrote: »
    they'll be selling gas soon enough. firt on a commercial basis then to the dosmestic market
    they have been licensed to sell gas to commercial customers for over 5 years and are also licensed to sell gass to residential customers. Its a market segment I can see ESB CS moving into very soon.

Advertisement