Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great vet shout-out

• 02-06-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is allowed, apols if not, but if it is maybe it might be nice if other people would post their 'great vets' too.

I just wanted to give a shout out to my new vet who I visited with my cat this evening, having moved to the Stoneybatter area in the last few months.

She's Tracy at the Cara Veterinary Clinic at the Phoenix Park Gate, NCR, and she not only helped my little kitty deal with her rather uncomfortable and smelly bum issue (don't ask) but was also extremely kind, gentle, informative, friendly, chatty... basically a really, really great vet. Having been a little nervous bringing my loved one to a new vet, I don't believe I could possibly have found a nicer one than Tracy. She was also able to see me on spec, without an appointment, even though she was clearly very busy.

So, anyone in the Dublin 7 area, that's a shout out for the Cara Veterinary Clinic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thats great CR. Vets need to realise its as much about the owner as the pet sometimes. Heard good reports about that practice also ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's great :) My vet is great too, she's really friendly, lets me watch operations, doesn't charge too much, and genuinely cares for pets, even cats and small animals. I bet nobody here lives near me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

morganafay wrote: »
    That's great :) My vet is great too, she's really friendly, lets me watch operations, doesn't charge too much, and genuinely cares for pets, even cats and small animals. I bet nobody here lives near me though!

You never know, morganafay, someone might be googling for a vet in their area some time in the future and come across your recommendation. I'm all about sharing the vet-love tonight :)

BTW, anniehoo, I'm not sure I'd agree that it's as much about the owner as the pet - my priority in vet choice is absolutely how well they treat my pet, not my own sensibilities - but I guess I've found over time that the vets who seem to really care for the animals are also the ones who are good with humans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Mark, Adrienne and ALL the staff at Terenure Veterinary Hospital - have taken such good care of my dog who's had a tough time past few months. My dog LOVES going in, and thats sayin something! Theyve all been wonderful, cant thank them enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dick Lavelle and all the staff at the Sandymount Animal Hospital - phone 01 269-5830, 15c Gilford Road, opening hours weekdays 10-12.30, 2.30-4.30, 6-7.30; Saturday 10-12.30; outside clinic hours phone 1890-564036.

I've had a bunch of different animals with them over the years, and they're invariably kind, gentle and expert.

They are also among the list of vets who have a deal with the Animal Hospital in UCD, so if your animal is unfortunate enough to need hospitalisation, and they send it to the hospital, you won't pay an arm and a leg. (If you go straight into the animal hospital without being sent by a listed vet it can be mortgage country.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

We are with CARA Vets aswell. Have to say BEST Vet's ever. Just love them all!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Moss Vets in Naas http://www.mossvet.ie/ don't know what we'd do without them and have heard their other clients saying the same. All the staff are fantastic. I've often had to carry scared rescue dogs in and they've come bounding out a couple of days later after being with the vet. nurses and vets.

Really welfare orientated and always willing to help. I now drive my own dogs 45 miles to be seen there as I know the standard of care they'll receive is better than anything in my own county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Billy O'Riordan in Abbeyfeale is a fantastic vet.
    Was brilliant with my Mam's old dog and gave her great care and attention before the decision was made that it would be better to put her to sleep.

He's very kind and has a great love of animals, I couldn't recommend him highly enough.

In fact I live in Limerick but take my dog down to him for her check ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Don't know if this is allowed, apols if not, but if it is maybe it might be nice if other people would post their 'great vets' too.

I just wanted to give a shout out to my new vet who I visited with my cat this evening, having moved to the Stoneybatter area in the last few months.

She's Tracy at the Cara Veterinary Clinic at the Phoenix Park Gate, NCR, and she not only helped my little kitty deal with her rather uncomfortable and smelly bum issue (don't ask) but was also extremely kind, gentle, informative, friendly, chatty... basically a really, really great vet. Having been a little nervous bringing my loved one to a new vet, I don't believe I could possibly have found a nicer one than Tracy. She was also able to see me on spec, without an appointment, even though she was clearly very busy.

So, anyone in the Dublin 7 area, that's a shout out for the Cara Veterinary Clinic.

Cara are a great vet group - I have experience with the clinic in Ballycoolin (near Blanch) and they are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Can we also say vets that, from experience, its best to avoid?
    Not sure if it's allowed so won't say until I know I wont get in trouble ;)

We go to a vet in sandycove/glenageary, Con is his name, not sure what the name of his actual clinic is, but its just beside the glenageary dart station.
    Our guys don't mind going in at all and he's great with them. Also his practise is small, only himself as the vet, so feels a bit more personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'd have to recommend allpets veterinary hospital in Drogheda. Fantastic bunch of people with a genuine interest in the health and wellbeing of animals. Great follow up for long term issues and proactive in suggesting treatments for persistant problems.
    Always easy to get an appt and I find the charges reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Brittas Veterinary Hospital in Thurles, Co. Tipp is absolutely outstanding! And one of their vet's, Stuart, is the best vet I have ever encountered. Nothing is too much for him and he truly loves the animals he treats. He went to every possible length with my cat, Mog, when he was in renal failure - he even taught me how to administer intravenous fluids at home, give injections etc. When the day came that Mog could not go on any longer, it was Stuart who put him to sleep and he was so upset. I was hysterical and he could not do enough for me. Later that night I brought my daughter over to the hospital to see Mog and Stuart came in and had him laid out in a basket with a fluffy basket and looking so peaceful.
    As a vet, and a human being, Stuart deserves every possible accolade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

John Lawlor in Kanturk - exellent vet, very caring, very good with small animals. And his assistant is lovely too, makes all the difference.
    Couldn't recommend them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mickyg10001

Another vote here for billy o riordan. I've used a lot of vets in the county and he is by far the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Jennyfer wrote: »
    Mark, Adrienne and ALL the staff at Terenure Veterinary Hospital - have taken such good care of my dog who's had a tough time past few months. My dog LOVES going in, and thats sayin something! Theyve all been wonderful, cant thank them enough :D

That's our vets too! They are the BEST! Wouldn't go to anyone else. We are Missing Adrienne though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Hi there here's a vet that I cannot recommend highly enough his name is GER CLANCY and his practice is in carrick-on-suir. A true gentleman!
    last year one of my pet chickens developed a problem and I went to a well established well known practice down here in Waterford lookin for advice. I've discovered this practice is mainly only interested in cats/dogs.and only interested in pure bred cats not moggies.! anyway that's a different. story.
    so the receptionist wouldn't let me talk to the vet a but would only relay the info between us. When she returned to the desk . her answer was 'sounds like she is egg bound, Dr. x has chickens at home and basically there is nothing you can do except make her comfortable but she is going to die.' I asked could I bring her in and was told their was no point. I hadn't gotten eggs from her in over a year might I add.
    that's when I found out about dr Clancy. I drove the 45 mins to the clinic wit rose and while we were wit him nothin outside the room existed only me and rose. he was so gentle and kind towards her. and interested in her!! She wasn't just a chicken to him! he did like the pregnancy scans.not an egg in site, exams on her everything. after about 45
    mins of his complete attention turns out she just had a lazy bum. But the care and attention was second to none. I honestLy believe if I had've broughtin a worm he would have given it as good care and attention :)
    a fantastic vet, a gentleman
    deserves an accolade
    also price VERY reasonable! He is interested in the animal not the pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Bull wall veterinary in clontarf in incredible. Dennis's prices are very reasonable and our dog loves him. Once our dog got injured in the garden and we brought her to the local vet(which a particular small chain on the north side). They looked at it and asked if we had pet insurance. When we said yesterday they immediately wanted to X-ray her as it wouldnt cost us that much. This local vet is known to get you, to get vaccinations etc which are not needed

We brought to Dennis( we should have done it in the first place). He said she would be grand and an X-ray was not needed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mary in Anicare is our vet and is fantastic! So you're all wrong - our vet is the best lol!! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Treaty vets in Limerick/ Shannon have been a life saver for me, they are always so good to us and I know many other vets would have given up on Dude the first night he was hit. Amazing vets!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Treaty vets in Limerick/ Shannon have been a life saver for me, they are always so good to us and I know many other vets would have given up on Dude the first night he was hit. Amazing vets!!

Yes, Treaty are fantastic. We practically live there these days, wouldn't know what we'd do without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Shane and all the staff at Gilabbey Veterinary Clinic in Cork are just amazing. There are doctors who should take a leaf out of Shane's book! He spends time to explain what is going on, what he's going to do, and he was just brilliant with our pooch. All the other staff I have dealt with there have been excellent.

As I'm at it, I would also like to give two big "Thumbs Up" to our local vets in Brookpark in Dunmanway. They have always looked after Deefor, and he is always calm at ease whenever he needs to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't praise Marese McDonell at Treaty Vets highly enough. Fantastic vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Sabine convoy vets in ballygawley sligo is the best in the county. She doesn't have a big fancy practice as she is in the middle of countryside and deals with a lot of livestock too but surprisingly but she really knows her domestic animals too. She is also very kind and understanding to animal rescue centres who need treatment for sick and injured animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

lubie76 wrote: »
    Sabine convoy vets in ballygawley sligo is the best in the county. She doesn't have a big fancy practice as she is in the middle of countryside and deals with a lot of livestock too but surprisingly but she really knows her domestic animals too. She is also very kind and understanding to animal rescue centres who need treatment for sick and injured animals.

+1 to this :) She's raw food friendly too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sohsoh

Agree about Ger Clancy. He's a rarity and only ever interested in the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Animal Hospital Kilcoole - Gail is the vet and Shane the vet tech - they are brilliant. Real animal lovers and very accommodating with appointments. Use them for my own dogs and they have helped out at the drop of a hat with any fosters who needed to be seen. I know I'm not the easiest client .... (tendancy to panic slightly when it comes to my own two doggies :-@) and and they are very clam and always take the time to explain everything. Always a text or call after to check everything is ok. Just good people!! Very good vet and will always discusses options for treatment so as to cause minimum distress to dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Where is Ger Clancy in Carrick-on-Suir? My mother lives there, so Im down there often (just in case of emergencies!)
    Connor in Animals First, Kilcullen took great care of our elderly dog when he was very ill over a bank holiday weekend. Came in to a deserted surgery and opened up for us. Phoned us on bank holiday monday to come walk the dog to get a urine sample :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

aonb wrote: »
    Where is Ger Clancy in Carrick-on-Suir? My mother lives there, so Im down there often (just in case of emergencies!)
    Connor in Animals First, Kilcullen took great care of our elderly dog when he was very ill over a bank holiday weekend. Came in to a deserted surgery and opened up for us. Phoned us on bank holiday monday to come walk the dog to get a urine sample :o

Do you know where the fire station in Carrick is? or the squash club is? It is across the road from them. It is called suirside clinic. you would often see it on the left hand side driving from Waterford to clonmel on the clonmel side there is a big green park and walk way beside it you would see all the flowers as you drive through? does that make any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Deise08 thanks - I know exactly where that is - my mothers house is very close, I knew there was a vets clinic there.

Advertisement