Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The Muppet wrote: »
    There is no doubt Rafas downfall is due to his poor transfers , where the blame lies for that is open to debate.

Don't really want to get into it here but his record in the transfer market is pretty good.

A large part of the problem was the shocking state of the club when he took over and the large number of poor quality players throughout the club even down to the youth level.

In terms of players Rafa bought and subsequently sold, we have turned a decent profit (even allowing for a couple of high-profile flop).

The squad we have now is worth a fair bit more than what we paid for it, which is pretty much all down to Rafa's ability in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Don't really want to get into it here but his record in the transfer market is pretty good.

A large part of the problem was the shocking state of the club when he took over and the large number of poor quality players throughout the club even down to the youth level.

In terms of players Rafa bought and subsequently sold, we have turned a decent profit (even allowing for a couple of high-profile flop).

The squad we have now is worth a fair bit more than what we paid for it, which is pretty much all down to Rafa's ability in the transfer market.

You're right that discusion is not for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

has any of this been confirmed by the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Really? what because he bought Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Id say it was above decent - would go mental either way.

I would still agree that Reina, Alonso, Torres, Benayoun, Garcia, were all good whilst the flops are obvious.

One thing I would say, the likes of Bellamy and Crouch (and a few others) get labelled as flops because they were moved on relatively soon - I know Crouch was there longer - their moving on was conceieved by many as an admission they'd never be part of a title challenging team.

The fact they came in, did a decent job for a reasonably fee and then sold on for a profit should make them good signings in my eyes.

Some utd fans would say stuff like, literally to me, that if Bellamy and Crouch were such good signings then why aren't they there now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Des wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac are brutal.

If Fleetwood Mac was a football manager they'd have a severance package on the table.

Blasphemy...

Al has this on repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yes, that's the only good player he's bought.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You think he only ever bought one good player?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Champions Leagues won with the inherited squad: 1
    Champions Leagues won with his own squad: 0

If people are going to concentrate on that crazy night in Istanbul let's not glide over the fact his last major trophy was won with the team he inherited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

If people are going to concentrate on that crazy night in Istanbul let's not glide over the fact his last major trophy was won with the team he inherited.

that was Houllier's team apart from 3 or 4 players that he signed that season.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    has any of this been confirmed by the club?

No. But it hasn't been denied either.

but yet it was players he bought along wit Gerrard who played the biggest part in the win. Namely Alonso and Garcia.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Absoultely not i was just making a point to the other poster about his post saying he has made a profit on players, dig this though:

Rafael Benítez bought 57 players for £230,676,000> http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=1

Rafael Benítez sold 69 players for £155,700,000>http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0

No. But it hasn't been denied either.

so really, there has been 32 pages on here about what is basically,at the moment, a rumour?

but yet it was players he bought along wit Gerrard who played the biggest part in the win. Namely Alonso and Garcia.

Carragher was your best player in the tournament by some distance. Followed by Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

that was Houllier's team apart from 3 or 4 players that he signed that season.

one wonders why Houllier didnt win the CL then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

It Was Hamann FFS and Dudek with that last minute save from Shevchenko that won that match

Absoultely not i was just making a point to the other poster about his post saying he has made a profit on players, dig this though:

Rafael Benítez bought 57 players for £230,676,000> http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=1

Rafael Benítez sold 69 players for £155,700,000>http://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0

Almost quarter of a billion and he had the cheek to say he hasn't been given enough money for transfers!!??

:eek:

one wonders why Houllier didnt win the CL then?
    Cos he was shít.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

loving the ever changing thread title.

Suggested these 3 a while back (about a month or so ago during one of the numerous other Rafas leaving threads) but now others seem to agree they are Liverpools level:

Pellegrino
    Roy Hodgson
    Martin Jol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hah, who and why was the title changed?

Suggested these 3 a while back (about a month or so ago during one of the numerous other Rafas leaving threads) but now others seem to agree they are Liverpools level:

Pellegrino
    Roy Hodgson
    Martin Jol
    I hope it ends up Martin Jol cos "Martin LOL" has a real fine ring to it.

so really, there has been 32 pages on here about what is basically,at the moment, a rumour?

All I'm saying is, that it looks like he is leaving, but that the club haven't officially confirmed it as of yet. This is probably due to the fact that his severance package is yet to be finalised.....??

Pellegrino
    Roy Hodgson
    Martin Jol

You should add an ex player in that mix someone like Steve Staunton :pac:

SlickRic wrote: »
    yes, that's the only good player he's bought.

FFS.

Only confirming what I have suspected for quite some time.

Slick is Alan's more moderate alter ego.

They're on page 84 on rawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Cos he was shít.

yet he bought players good enough to win the CL? :confused: Baros, Cisse, Biscan, Traore?

RasTa wrote: »
    Hah, who and why was the title changed?
    Most likely Frisbee. You know chicks - always trying to redecorate the place.

yet he bought players good enough to win the CL? :confused: Baros, Cisse, Biscan, Traore?

I forgot that being able to buy good players meant you automatically know how to manage them as a team.

• Advertisement

No. They were whipped into decent shape by Benitez.

EDIT: How about Mark Hughes as the next manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pellegrino
    Roy Hodgson
    Martin Jol

I think they're probably the 3 most viable candidates to be honest.

Before someone jumps in -

- no, i don't think any of them are as proven as Rafa

But the way things have gone at the club, i think a change was needed and any of those 3 (i'd probably go with Jol at the minute) could turn out to be positive changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cos he was shít.

Poor Ged history has been so unkind to him, it wasn't like that in his final few months at the club. I wonder if history will be any kinder on Rafa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

People seem to forget the other champions league final we got to

And that we were the better team on the night but managed not to win

noodler wrote: »
    Only confirming what I have suspected for quite some time.

Slick is Alan's more moderate alter ego.

ha, nice!

i'm not even close to as pro-Rafa as Al is. but i will acknowledge how well he has done for us, flaws included.

i think i was justified in my response considering cypher did infer that Nando was our only good signing under Rafa. even you'd agree with that ;)

• Advertisement

How about Mark Hughes as the next manager?

yet you want rid of Rafa?

a big fat no from me on wee Sparkplug.

And that we were the better team on the night but managed not to win

Well that kind of evened things out for '05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

true but just pointing out that he got to another final with a team that he didn't inherit

SlickRic wrote: »
    yet you want rid of Rafa?

a big fat no from me on wee Sparkplug.

Fair enough. Just a suggestion.

But kinda kills your point about Rafa not being able to buy good enough players or only winning it cause of geds team

• Advertisement

But kinda kills your point about Rafa not being able to buy good enough players or only winning it cause of geds team
    I never said he couldn't buy decent players. I replied to the lad who said he inherited a 'large number of poor quality players throughout the club'.

You'd swear he took over Daggenham and Redbridge.

The Muppet wrote: »
    They're on page 84 on rawk

jeez...

TB confirms that the players revolting resulting in his departure, is bollox.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

TB confirms that the players revolting, hence his departure, is bollox.

Chances of players being at the club next season:

Tony Barrett:
    Your list of players didn't come through Scott but I can probably guess who they are so I'll have a go:
    Torres - 3/10
    Gerrard 5/10
    Reina - 9/10
    Mascherano 3/10
    Carragher 10/10
    And one for good luck: Degen hopefully 0/10

spockety wrote: »
    Chances of players being at the club next season:

Tony Barrett:
    Your list of players didn't come through Scott but I can probably guess who they are so I'll have a go:
    Torres - 3/10
    Gerrard 5/10
    Reina - 9/10
    Mascherano 3/10
    Carragher 10/10
    And one for good luck: Degen hopefully 0/10

Not good. Not good.

And there was me thinking that getting rid of Rafa meant we were keeping our star players who hated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

lol, most recent question
    You probably won't answer this Tony like the last time; but 19 defeats, 11 in the league, with a team that finished 2nd last season... spent £17m on a crock and another £17 on a right back we didn't need more than we needed a striker, ale house football, and losing to teams who spent 1/10 of what we have over the past 6 years - and he didn't deserve the sack? LFC fans have "lost one battle"? - does Rafa pay you to write articles for him Tony?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I'm trying to figure out which of the concepts being thrown around in this thread is the most bizarre.

So far it's a tie between Jamie Carragher being a realistic option for a managerial role, and Rafa being an unmitigated success in the transfer market.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    lol, most recent question

good answer

Tony Barrett:
    Hope you've got a good lawyer Rashid, accusing a journalist of taking backhanders is a clear libel. Particularly as at no point have I claimed that the Liverpool fans have lost a battle with Benitez going. I did say he has lost a battle. Your other criticisms are valid.

Leave the Bisc out of this.
    Columbia wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out which of the concepts being thrown around in this thread is the most bizarre.

So far it's a tie between Jamie Carragher being a realistic option for a managerial role, and Rafa being an unmitigated success in the transfer market.

Didn't one person put this forward? One person out of everybody on this thread? I think you'll find the meat of the debate was on his character - no one really thinks Carra is manager material (now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So still no official word that he has been sacked and we have 500 posts already.
    Keep it going lads.

Mr Alan 38 Des 25 Mental Mickey 24 Ardent 24 Headshot 19 SlickRic 18 The Muppet 14 Paulegend 13 opr 10 Archimedes 10 Frisbee 10 ShiverinEskimo 10 Eire-Dearg 9 ~Rebel~ 9 noodler 9 syngindub 9 Spud83 7 mike65 7 Ush1 7 eagle eye 7 Osu 7 everdead.ie 6 rarnes1 6 Xavi6 5 BastardPrince 5 Stevecw 5 MrStuffins 5 davyjose 5 The Recliner 5 MaceFace 5 MementoMori 5 monkey9 5 RasTa 5 FearDark 4 jank 4 lordgoat 4 eZe^ 4 101001 4 JJJJNR 4 Dr Galen 3 mixednuts 3 Park Ji Sung 3 mayordenis 3 Gillington 3 Columbia 3 quarryman 3 whatawaster 3 Cypher_sounds 3 jaykay74 3 DrumSteve 3 happyoutscan 3 Dub13 3 Kingdom 2 dreamers75 2 Aidric 2 wobblyknees 2 nedtheshed 2 event 2 ScienceNerd 2 c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage 2 p_larkin99 2 JimsAlterEgo 2 jenno86 2 kingshankly 2 bijapos 2 yermandan 2 ShaneU 2 leninbenjamin 2 Laois_Man 2 Perfect Choice 1 Ordinary man 1 x in the city 1 Stekelly 1 curry-muff 1 emc2 1 KaG 1 Fizman 1 bUILDERtHEbOB 1 ziggy 1 Mr.Nice Guy 1 PHB 1 Neil1984 1 200motels 1 spockety 1 uberwolf 1 Villain 1 Rosco1982 1 yom 1 1 Bounty Hunter 1 hitman79 1 MR NINE 1 Skud 1 aaronh007 1 joe316 1 TheSpecialOne 1 MisterAnarchy 1 doc_17 1 FreeOSCAR 1 Liam O 1 torresistheman 1 Essien 1 Melion 1 baz2009 1 Raekwon 1 m@cc@ 1 greendom 1 invinciblePRSTV 1 brianrcarney 1 bamboozling 1 missingtime 1 nkay1985 1 Qwerty27 1 SM01 1 colly10 1 That_Guy 1 Lukker- 1 K-9 1 Helix 1 JerryHandbag 1 LZ5by5 1

120px-14jx0xz.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement