Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Asset strip + 500/600 million sale is not going to happen.

For Hicks and Gillet to sell the club quickly - Torres probably has to be here. Otherwise the value will drop significantly.

I'm more thinking if Torres wants to go (which seems to potentially be the case), then that might force their hand to just cut their losses altogether, bring in whatever cash they can and get the club off their hands asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Published your DVD of the last Derby win yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once more, for old time's sake

MagicBenitez.gif

tbh wrote: »

Gerrard has 4 offers from English clubs????? Seems a bit far fetched doesn't it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the Pool fans who are actually upset by this. He was an ordinary manager and it was well time for him to go. And that stuff about Gerrard is just nonsense pub talk, there's no way he would have said that (though Gerrard does have a big ego it must be said).

He spent 235 million and for what? Not much as it turns out. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd say thanks Rafa, you've done your best in difficult circumstances the last couple of seasons but your time is up. All the best.

I'd say they're on the phone to Roddy Collins right now.
    You are a clown. Look at his record over the past few years in terms of trophies - bar the league (which he finished 2nd in, closely, the year before last), and it stacks up pretty well. In years to come he will have been viewed in a good light.

And stop trotting out the bullsh*t about spending money. Look at real figures for net spend over the previous few years - Spurs have spent more. Liverpool haven't been able to compete with United/Chelsea in the league because they haven't been able to buy it like those 2 have.

Idiot.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

MagicBenitez.gif

I'm saving that image to comfort me on the dark and lonely nights next season...

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the Pool fans who are actually upset by this.
    It's funny, you answered your own question with your last line.
    I'd say they're on the phone to Roddy Collins right now.

It wouldn't be so bad if Liverpool could go now and look for an equal and better manager, but in fact under the circumstances barring a miracle and some incredibly rich benefactor, there is only the option of inferior candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Pool fans need to grow balls and face the music, their club is no nearer to winning a league (remember them?) since they last won it.

If I was a pool fan I would have wanted him out long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joker77 wrote: »
    You are a clown. Look at his record over the past few years in terms of trophies - bar the league (which he finished 2nd in, closely, the year before last), and it stacks up pretty well. In years to come he will have been viewed in a good light.

And stop trotting out the bullsh*t about spending money. Look at real figures for net spend over the previous few years - Spurs have spent more. Liverpool haven't been able to compete with United/Chelsea in the league because they haven't been able to buy it like those 2 have.

Idiot.

If you think adding an insult or two to your argument makes it any stronger you are wrong.

*hides from hypocrite police*

The argument exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I miss dennis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

But your not so that makes your post a useless piece of fluff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Right, we actually had a decent run before the thread started going completely downhill.

Zero tolerance Policy from here on in regards personal abuse, sly digs at other posters and general muppetry.

You've been warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Pool fans need to grow balls and face the music, their club is no nearer to winning a league (remember them?) since they last won it.

1 bad season.

Season before last it was their's to win, reason being Keane was sold at Christmas, wasn't replaced, Torres got injured. If a decent striker had've been bought in January, I believe Liverpool would have won that league.

That's opinion - fair enough, but I think that was Rafa's fatal mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

delighted he's gone.

if the gruesome twosome are ousted then the club should be a good shape. There's a thin line between heaven and hell though.

If benitez was sacked mid year i think Pool would have struggled to 4th. The delay in moving on this cost Liverpool CL football next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Gerrard has 4 offers from English clubs????? Seems a bit far fetched doesn't it?!

Citys bid is the equivalent of 3 transfer sums its so big and the other team is Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

apologies in advance...

yore ma can't remember the last time Everton won it.

:pac:

i hope a miracle happens and the next manager goes far and beyond any expectations I have. I really do.

i just don't see it realistically happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Xavi6 wrote: »

MagicBenitez.gif

Rafa_Falling_over1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Meh, I'm gonna back two for next manger of Liverpool. Pellegrini and Klinsmann make most sense to me, I really think Pellegrini is the most outstanding candidate if he is interested. He is well known having done a great job at Villareal and most feel he was harshly treated by Real Madrid.
    Klinsmann attacked Benitez' running of the club earlier this year and has been linked with Liverpool quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

rarnes1 wrote: »
    *puts on positive hat.

Maybe there's new owners in the pipeline who wanted Rafa out and their own man in (Hiddink) :o

Thats one of the few things that I can find reason for optimism at the moment.

Other than that its a sad sad day for all 'pool fans.

Thanks for the memories Rafa, all the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dont back anybody to be the next manager,the new manager market for any football job is a joke no money to be made in it.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Meh, I'm gonna back two for next manger of Liverpool. Pellegrini and Klinsmann make most sense to me, I really think Pellegrini is the most outstanding candidate if he is interested. He is well known having done a great job at Villareal and most feel he was harshly treated by Real Madrid.
    Klinsmann attacked Benitez' running of the club earlier this year and has been linked with Liverpool quite a bit.

As far as the options go, Pellegrini is a pretty good one.

The fact that Klinsmann is even a possibility represents everything one needs to know about the americans.

Headshot wrote: »
    what was that picture you were going to post?

Sam-Allardyce-001.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just to make myself feel worse, I imagined the whooping and high fiving going on in the Hicks household this afternoon.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    As far as the options go, Pellegrini is a pretty good one.

The fact that Klinsmann is even a possibility represents everything one needs to know about the americans.
    I'm not saying that they are the best options for Liverpool fc, just that I think they are the most likely candidates. Just to make that clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

SlickRic wrote: »
    apologies in advance...

yore ma can't remember the last time Everton won it.

:pac:

i hope a miracle happens and the next manager goes far and beyond any expectations I have. I really do.

i just don't see it realistically happening.

your probably too young to remember but it was not long before pool last won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

308gra9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

deisedevil wrote: »
    Rafa_Falling_over1.gif

Yep, not only was he a magician, but he could breakdance as well. YNWA Rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

your probably too young to remember but it was not long before pool last won.

nah, i'm just about old enough don't worry.

just rewarding your cheap dig in kind is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think it's quite tellng that none of his players came out with public shows of support, bar Reina. He had to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

IMO, he won the Champions league with a team he inherited, and has slowly but surely made a great team worse and worse, until this year when LFC barely qualified for eurpoa league.
    Cant understand how some fans wanted him to stay??:confused::confused:

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not saying that they are the best options for Liverpool fc, just that I think they are the most likely candidates. Just to make that clear.
    oh yeah, don't worry I didn't think that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

IMO, he won the Champions league with a team he inherited, and has slowly but surely made a great team worse and worse, until this year when LFC barely qualified for eurpoa league.

Some genuinely think he is a world class manager given his success spell with Valencia.

Alas, 6 years with LFC has seen his stock drop dramatically, to the extent that Madrid no longer want him and now he has to swallow his pride and take Mourinho's sloppy seconds. :D

Ardent wrote: »
    Some genuinely think he is a world class manager given his success spell with Valencia.

Alas, 6 years with LFC has seen his stock drop dramatically, to the extent that Madrid no longer want him and now he has to swallow his pride and take Mourinho's sloppy seconds. :D

Yeah, he's such a joke of a manager, with such low levels of respect that the only job he's being offered is that of taking over the Italian League, Cup and European Champions. Pfft, What a loooser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

that's far from the truth

Honestly...I'm kind of lost for words...are people serious!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Have to say I'm happy he's gone, he should have gone after the champions league exit, we still have the guts of a good team all we need is a new owner and a manager that's not afraid to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Ah come on. The team he inherited was never a great team. Hell even Traore was starting back then! He got that team to play sucessful football, not many would have won the cup with that bunch of players. Even Nunez was on the bench for crying out loud!

Our team, while not great at the moment, has more world class players. Gerrard obvioulsy from both then and now, alonso is near enough but not quite world class, but Rafa brought in Macherano Torres and Reina. He's left behind a far better team is my point!

I'd have loved for nwe owners last season to have come in and give him backing. I think it has gone too far now though, time to move on. But I for one thank Rafa and wish him all the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

He was never going to win the league to be fair.

And he can't blame it all on the owners. He had the players and left some of the best ones on the bench.

He should have walked years ago if he had any judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If you can't realise the significant roles Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso played in that campaign then I don't know what to say. Speechless really.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If you can't realise the significant roles Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso played in that campaign then I don't know what to say. Speechless really.
    True it was Garcia who fooled the linesman into giving the "goal" against Chelsea. :pac:

I've said it already though Carragher was far and away the player of the tournament. I remember so many last-ditch tackles and goal-line clearances in the Champs League from him. He was epic for ye. Gerrard also single-handedly beat Olympiakos to get ye out of the group stages - by half time in that game you were a goal down and needed three to avoid knockout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

True it was Garcia who fooled the linesman into giving the "goal" against Chelsea. :pac:

I've said it already though Carragher was far and away the player of the tournament. I remember so many last-ditch tackles and goal-line clearances in the Champs League from him. He was epic for ye. Gerrard also single-handedly beat Olympiakos to get ye out of the group stages - by half time in that game you were a goal down and needed three to avoid knockout.

I would give Rafa a lot of credit for that too as I think the likes of Carra and Gerrard stepped it up another level once he took over. So not only did you have him signing players like Garcia and Alonso, you also had him improving the players that he inherited.

Neil Mellor, vital goal and assist, pretty decisive to the result too!

It shouldn't be forgotten that Gerrard missed one leg against Leverkusen and one leg against Juventus, with Biscan coming in and helping get us through. Not dimishing Gerrards contribution by any means, but he didn't do it all on his own, that campaign was a fantastic display of a team working hard for each other in each and every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the same player he badly man managed and basically forced out of the club?

speechless.

I'm sure you can find the words.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He should have gotten another year. Poor decision and it'll hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Right decision! Finishing 7th after pushing Man United the previous season can't be excused no matter what! Combined with the early Champions League exit!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    that campaign was a fantastic display of a team working hard for each other in each and every game.
    It also showed a team who were on the brink of exit and needing 3 goals in one half to stay in it on two occasions.

Which don't get me wrong was a massive achievement. I was fúckin sickened in both cases you'll be happy to know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Overall, I think he did a good job. Won the CL, got to another final, ran Man Utd very close the season before last. Last season was a disaster but in his defence, Torres was absent for large chunks, plus we saw an indifferent Gerrard (a key player for the team, their captain) for practically the whole season. Also, the fact that people were talking about how badly Pool had deteriorated shows how far he had taken them.

He improved the quality of the team, too. Torres, Mascherano, Reina are all world-class players. He made some clunkers in the market, no doubt, but before he took over from Houllier I don't think Pool fans would've genuinely believed that they could attract the calibre of player such as Torres.

All in all, I think you've got to look at where Liverpool were before he took over. Yes, he may not have done too much better than Houllier over the course of his tenure in terms of league position, but you've got to take into account the massive hike in standards once Abramovich started bankrolling Chelsea. Ultimately, on this basis, he was a succes.

Tbh, I think it was the right time for him to leave. Liverpool had a jaded, stale look about them last season, in part due to the ownership wranglings. Hopefully a new manager can do the miraclous and rejuvenate the side with nothing to spend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I would give Rafa a lot of credit for that too as I think the likes of Carra and Gerrard stepped it up another level once he took over. So not only did you have him signing players like Garcia and Alonso, you also had him improving the players that he inherited.

So likewise he should be the one to look to when they aren't playing up to standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My favourite Rafa Clip:

Can anyone find links to the Thailand interviews too, they were very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm surprised oleary isn't included in those odds he's normally included in these jobs isn't he.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement