Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyhow, isn't it time for a mod set up a poll to see who we want to take over.

My list of candidates that I have seen mentioned in no particular order

Dalglish
    Hiddink
    O'Neill
    Van Basten
    Rijkaard
    Hodgson
    Scolari (Definite no from me)

Any more to be added?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Osu wrote: »
    Faceplam at attempt to drag this to a Liverpool v United debate. Seriously...
    It was in response to someone pointing out that uniteds protests have in some way been more dignified.

murpho999 wrote: »

Dalglish
    Hiddink
    O'Neill
    Van Basten
    Rijkaard
    Hodgson
    Scolari (Definite no from me)

Any more to be added?
    Martin Jol and Pelligrini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man utd v liverpool already

that was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Columbia wrote: »
    I wonder if those people burning the flag have a brain cell bewteen them.

Firstly, either burning the flag is a highly objectionable and offensive act, or it isn't. If it isn't, then there's no point in doing it, because it's not going to "shock" H&G out of the club. If it is, then it's a very dangerous act that will alienate a nation of people, all for the sake of "sending a message"

Secondly, that "message", if it is made, isn't going to make any positive difference. H&G are not going to say "OMG! They're burning the flag, let's make a loss and sell to a decent owner who can save the club". They're going to be extremely antagonised and be far more likely to harm and strip the club for their own benefit.

Honestly, as an Everton fan I've been reasonable about this all day, haven't taken the p!ss out of any Liverpool fan I know, either online or in person, but this is one of the stupidest acts I've ever seen committed by the "fans" of any club, and they, and the people defending them, need to get a grip on reality. There is literally no motive behind it, is is simply, as someone said, a mob mentality, and from having studied psychology I can tell you that is an extremely dangerous thing.

I know of a fair few people who were at that protest. Most if not all are season ticket holders and have followed Liverpool home and away for years, which is more than can be said for most "fans". These people have invested time, effort, money, and for many what might seem a large part of their lives in the club. They are intelligent, working people, some with their own businesses, children etc. The fact is, they are pissed off and to be perfectly honest, they couldn't give a rats arse what the high horse brigade think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137820

Knew I wasn't imaging it. The point is that no-one can really claim any moral high ground here and all clubs have their fair share of nutters.

Osu wrote: »
    Faceplam at attempt to drag this to a Liverpool v United debate. Seriously...

I think you'll find it was someone else who did that. I just responded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »

that was quick

Not really, took a while. ;)
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Martin Jol and Pelligrini.

Pelligrini would be a good free option. But does he have a word of English?

Headshot wrote: »

that was quick

You're telling me.
    burning a flag has massive political connotations, and is quite a strong statement to make, about a nation's policies. Doing so because G & H happen to be American is ridiculous.

Has anyone noticed the Green and gold campaign is Love United, Hate glazer. No mention of the USA there, because we aren't trying to look like thugs, we just want our owners out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Burning another nation's flag over something like this is ridiculous - anyone who thinks otherwise needs to broaden their horizons a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oh my lord, Irish Man United and Liverpool fans are the worst at life. Anything, and I mean anything could be turned into a Liverpool vs United debate by such fools.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mod Hat on

For the sake of this thread I am going to have to ban talk of Utd and there struggle with there owners,I just cant see it ending well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Them gone. Now. Burning a flag is all good in my book. Symbolic gesture to show how hated they are among our fanbase.

No. It. Isn't.

ffs.

in my book it is. you can't really argue wit that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

in my book it is. you can't really argue wit that.

correct, i can't.

But in mine its a highly offensive statement to make. Its too far.

It insinuates something political and has nothing to do with sport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Does burning the flag endear liverpool FC to soccer fans in the U.S.A.? Fans that buy the jerseys/Tshirts/etc that helps pay players wages etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've no problem with a flag being burnt, its not like the next owners are going to be American. Indeed if it puts any American leverage sharks off it'll be a worthwhile gesture.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Does burning the flag endear liverpool FC to soccer fans in the U.S.A.? Fans that buy the jerseys/Tshirts/etc that helps pay players wages etc?

We have to stop trying to please everybody,some people are going to be offended thats the nature of these things.I wounder how much cash we make from the US...?very little in the grand scheme of things I would say.

mike65 wrote: »
    I've no problem with a flag being burnt, its not like the next owners are going to be American. Indeed if it puts any American leverage sharks off it'll be a worthwhile gesture.

It might make us more appealing to middle eastern investment given their opinion of America !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Them gone. Now. Burning a flag is all good in my book. Symbolic gesture to show how hated they are among our fanbase.
    Appalling statement to make. Insult a whole nation for the acts of two of it's citizens. Clever that. I suggest you try something stronger than fleetwood mac on your iPod too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It might make us more appealing to middle eastern investment given their opinion of America !

Yeah if it's the Taliban you want....

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah if it's the Taliban you want....

LOL.

Nice lads them Taliban. Down to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dub13 wrote: »
    We have to stop trying to please everybody,some people are going to be offended thats the nature of these things.I wounder how much cash we make from the US...?very little in the grand scheme of things I would say.

Exactly, huge potential there, silly to alienate such potential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Probably correct. But it's the principle. What if the next owners are from the Nordic region? or Asian? and they make shít out of the club aswell! Will flag burning of those regions/countries be equally acceptable? Because most would agree the income from those areas is substantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Burning a flag is infantile and I'm surprised some people are justifying it. The purpose of the protest should be to say FU to the owners and not FU to the entire US of A, who I'm sure have many Liverpool supporters.

What about American fans of the club who feel offended by the desecration of their flag? A case of tough luck is it? The Liverpool owners represent their entire nation?

It's dumb. Oh and before anyone asks yes it's just as dumb if United fans do it.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Exactly, huge potential there, silly to alienate such potential.

The current owners are alienating the local fans now and there is not much of an outcry.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Probably correct. But it's the principle. What if the next owners are from the Nordic region? or Asian? and they make shít out of the club aswell! Will flag burning of those regions/countries be equally acceptable? Because most would agree the income from those areas is substantial.

If the next owners make shít out of the club they can expect more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mark my words, any of the anti-Rafa brigade who has taken smug satisfaction in the events of today will be laughing on the other side of their faces in a couple of years time.

He did a remarkable job considering the conditions he had to work in. His departure was dignified, as you would expect from a man who has shown an amazing ability to bite his tongue in the midst of the shambles that has at times surrounded him at Liverpool.

Good luck to him at Inter, I think he is made for Italian football and they will have far far more success in the next five years than the club he has left behind today.(if that is indeed where he ends up and I'd be shocked if he doesn't).

Can't say I'm too eneamoured by this flag buring lark tbh. And that goes for United, Liverpool or Acrington Stanley fans by the way. If it was a tricolour would we be as quick to condone it I wonder?

I simply cannot believe this thread has descended into a debate about whether or not flag-burning is justified.

Get a fúcking grip lads.

• Advertisement

If the next owners make shít out of the club they can expect more of the same.

I hope nobody Irish buys the club so !!!!!

I simply cannot believe this thread has descended into a debate about whether or not flag-burning is justified.

Get a fúcking grip lads.

I did say I would not do it but I can understand why people have done it tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh great... some idiots burned a flag. while i understand their passion it isnt exactly justified. just another weapon for the 'winning' man utd supporters to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Good luck to him at Inter, I think he is made for Italian football and they will have far far more success in the next five years than the club he has left behind today.(if that is indeed where he ends up and I'd be shocked if he doesn't).

Agreed. I can see him doing very well in Italian football and he tends to do well in European competitions also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

murpho999 wrote: »

Dalglish - Stop gap only
    Hiddink - Pipe dream. About to sign with Turkey
    O'Neill - No thanks
    Van Basten - No opinion really
    Rijkaard -Wouldn't be displeased
    Hodgson - A good option but shouldn't be the no.1 target
    Scolari (Definite no from me) - Agreed

Any more to be added?

Would agree with the person that suggested Pelegrini and Jol. Both great candidates.

Would anyone dismiss Sven as an option? He did well enough at City, terrible at Mexico but has a chance with Ivory Coast at the WC. He did very well with Lazio from what I can remember. I would be very happy to get someone of his calibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Apparently Liverpool are going for your man from Turkey... Bernard Matthews.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wouldnt like to see sven tbh. not really that good a manager truth be told. rijkaard could be good out of those available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Would agree with the person that suggested Pelegrini and Jol. Both great candidates.

Would anyone dismiss Sven as an option? He did well enough at City, terrible at Mexico but has a chance with Ivory Coast at the WC. He did very well with Lazio from what I can remember. I would be very happy to get someone of his calibre
    Pellegrini for me is the best option out there but its said he'll only stay in Spain or take over a South American national team after the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Glad to see rafa gething the sack the club, Hope the club gets a world class manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Martin Jol?!?!?!?!? Get a grip lads!!

mikeym wrote: »
    Glad to see rafa gething the sack the club, Hope the club gets a world class manager.

He left. Didn't get sacked. Was given six million in compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Am I alone in thinking that the chances of getting in a decent manager is massively hampered by the ownership position?

The club is up for sale which means we could see a new owner in as soon as a month or it could be a nightmare scenario of up to two years [ Really can't see it being that long, but just for the sake of argument]

Given how Hughes got threated at City and the massive likelihood that any new managers will be keen to install their own man when they take over, why would a top/decent manager take the job now unless they were mainly looking for a pay-out or were pretty desperate?

I would expect Purslow and Dalglish to get a lot of candidates saying thanks but no thanks, it doesn't really suit at the moment. Unless you were pretty desperate to get back in management it looks like the kind of a poisioned chalice which would make the Real Madrid job look like a nice secure number.

Throw in a fanbase where you would have to pretty much immediately win over a fair percentage of the fans with little or nothing in the way of transfer funds unless you lose some of the clubs best talent.

My hope would be a Lee/Dalglish caretaker manager combo with Dalglish in charge of transfers until new management arrives.

That_Guy wrote: »
    He left. Didn't get sacked. Was given six million in compensation.
    Pedantic much?

They wanted him to leave, they paid him to do so...

Am I alone in thinking that the chances of getting in a decent manager is massively hampered by the ownership position?

The club is up for sale which means we could see a new owner in as soon as a month or it could be a nightmare scenario of up to two years [ Really can't see it being that long, but just for the sake of argument]

Given how Hughes got threated at City and the massive likelihood that any new managers will be keen to install their own man when they take over, why would a top/decent manager take the job now unless they were mainly looking for a pay-out or were pretty desperate?

I would expect Purslow and Dalglish to get a lot of candidates saying thanks but no thanks, it doesn't really suit at the moment. Unless you were pretty desperate to get back in management it looks like the kind of a poisioned chalice which would make the Real Madrid job look like a nice secure number.

Throw in a fanbase where you would have to pretty much immediately win over a fair percentage of the fans with little or nothing in the way of transfer funds unless you lose some of the clubs best talent.

My hope would be a Lee/Dalglish caretaker manager combo with Dalglish in charge of transfers until new management arrives.

Basically you have the same problem as us.

Bad ownership, no money to spend and employ a coach to be your manager because let's face it, who'd want to work under that type of ownership?

Hughton did a good job for us last year but he's not got any money to spend with the current regime and I don't think Liverpool can hope for a top class manager under the current ownership.

Horrible situation to be in and I empathise.

mikeym wrote: »
    Glad to see rafa gething the sack the club

huh? :confused:

Pedantic much?

They wanted him to leave, they paid him to do so...

Didn't get sacked though did he? No.

Basically you have the same problem as us.

Bad ownership, no money to spend and employ a coach to be your manager because let's face it, who'd want to work under that type of ownership?

Hughton did a good job for us last year but he's not got any money to spend with the current regime and I don't think Liverpool can hope for a top class manager under the current ownership.

Horrible situation to be in and I empathise.

Can we borrow Chris Hughton?

Always came across as a decent skin and did a great job this season.

Can we borrow Chris Hughton?

Always came across as a decent skin and did a great job this season.

Hell to the no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

If any other manager of the top teams in Europe, ie Real Madried, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea, failed to win the domestic league in 6 attempts, how long would they last?

For Real Madrid the average stay of a manager who doesn't win the league is 1 year. Usually the same with the other top teams. It would be unheard of for the manager to stay 6 seasons with any of these sides.

Jose Mourinho was able to deliver a treble in Italy in his third season with a team of cast-offs, cheap signings, veterns and a bit of wheeling and dealing.

Benitez has delivered the sum total of a Champions League and FA Cup while having vastly more resources to spend than Mourinho.

In my view Benitez was lucky to win the CL with Liverpool in 2005.

Some Liverpool fans think Benitez is in the same league as Mourino. He clearly isn't.

Hell to the no.

Fair enough. Had to ask.

Fair enough. Had to ask.

He's only got a contract til the end of the season so maybe then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement