Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So were all the bets and whatnot paid in full to Jank?

Didn't see any mention of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

plasmaguy wrote: »
    If any other manager of the top teams in Europe, ie Real Madried, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea, failed to win the domestic league in 6 attempts, how long would they last?

For Real Madrid the average stay of a manager who doesn't win the league is 1 year. Usually the same with the other top teams. It would be unheard of for the manager to stay 6 seasons with any of these sides.

Jose Mourinho was able to deliver a treble in Italy in his third season with a team of cast-offs, cheap signings, veterns and a bit of wheeling and dealing.

Benitez has delivered the sum total of a Champions League and FA Cup while having vastly more resources to spend than Mourinho.

In my view Benitez was lucky to win the CL with Liverpool in 2005.

Some Liverpool fans think Benitez is in the same league as Mourino. He clearly isn't.
    Inter, and by extension Mourinho, were the beneficiary of the match fixing scandal, when they became, overnight, the biggest team in Italy, by a stretch. Not taking away from the genius of the guy (i never classed Benitez in the same league as him - but then I'm not a Liverpool fan). But benitez inherited the fourth best team in England - a long way back from what was then the big 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

flahavaj wrote: »
    Mark my words, any of the anti-Rafa brigade who has taken smug satisfaction in the events of today will be laughing on the other side of their faces in a couple of years time.
    The last time you said "Mark my words" you followed it with "Liverpool will definitely finish 4th this year" Asking people to mark your words isn't wise when you're getting stuff wrong! Personally I think a change was needed at the club.
    He did a remarkable job considering the conditions he had to work in. His departure was dignified, as you would expect from a man who has shown an amazing ability to bite his tongue in the midst of the shambles that has at times surrounded him at Liverpool.
    Of course it was dignified. The man has just pocketed 6 million quid and he's out of a club that is in a huge mess with his reputation intact and with the fans still chanting his name. Oh and he's just bagged himself a job with the current European champions.
    Good luck to him at Inter, I think he is made for Italian football and they will have far far more success in the next five years than the club he has left behind today.(if that is indeed where he ends up and I'd be shocked if he doesn't).
    To be honest I could probably go to Inter and have far more success than Liverpool in the next five years. He's leaving a club that is in decline to join the current Italian and European champions. It should be a given that he'd be expected to do better than Liverpool in fairness.

Pighead wrote: »
    The last time you said "Mark my words" you followed it with "Liverpool will definitely finish 4th this year" Asking people to mark your words isn't wise when you're getting stuff wrong! Personally I think a change was needed at the club.

Of course it was dignified. The man has just pocketed 6 million quid and he's out of a club that is in a huge mess with his reputation intact and with the fans still chanting his name. Oh and he's just bagged himself a job with the current European champions.

To be honest I pighead could probably go to Inter and have far more success than Liverpool in the next five years. He's leaving a club that is in decline to join the current Italian and European champions. It should be a given that he'd be expected to do better than Liverpool in fairness.

Phew.... That's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pighead wrote: »
    The last time you said "Mark my words" you followed it with "Liverpool will definitely finish 4th this year" Asking people to mark your words isn't wise when you're getting stuff wrong!

LOL, you have no idea. My predictions have a habit of being epically wrong most of the time. :pac:

He's been far more dignified that he had any need to be the last few years in fairness. He's bittne his tongue time and time and again when he's been blagguarded by the owners. I thought the statement he made was very dignified, I'm sure Liverpool fans appreciated his words for them.
    To be honest I could probably go to Inter and have far more success than Liverpool in the next five years. He's leaving a club that is in decline to join the current Italian and European champions. It should be a given that he'd be expected to do better than Liverpool in fairness.

Glad we agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

In 24 hours this thread is now the same size as 10% of the main Arsenal thread & 25% of Evertons. Rafa is always quite the post puller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anyhow, isn't it time for a mod set up a poll to see who we want to take over.

My list of candidates that I have seen mentioned in no particular order

Dalglish
    Hiddink
    O'Neill
    Van Basten
    Rijkaard
    Hodgson
    Scolari (Definite no from me)

Any more to be added?

Lippi - out of a job after the world cup. (he was at 50-1 on pp)

Hoki wrote: »
    In 24 hours this thread is now the same size as 10% of the main Arsenal thread & 25% of Evertons. Rafa is always quite the post puller

I'd imagine it will start to slow soon enough. Or get locked eventually :D

Then another epic when the next manager is named !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I read that wrong........ Didn't see the word "post" before puller.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

too much time on your hands:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

davyjose wrote: »
    Inter, and by extension Mourinho, were the beneficiary of the match fixing scandal, when they became, overnight, the biggest team in Italy, by a stretch. Not taking away from the genius of the guy (i never classed Benitez in the same league as him - but then I'm not a Liverpool fan). But benitez inherited the fourth best team in England - a long way back from what was then the big 3.

That happened 4 seasons ago, before the 2006 world cup. That explains how Mancini won the league alright.

It doesn't explain how Mourinho took a team of players many would regard as inferior in quality to most other top teams in Europe including Liverpool to Champions League success, accounting for the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona along the way.

Benitez was never going to win the League in England, never! It was kind of laughable to watch Liverpool fans imagine that each year would be their year under Benitez.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If any other manager of the top teams in Europe, ie Real Madried, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea, failed to win the domestic league in 6 attempts, how long would they last?

For Real Madrid the average stay of a manager who doesn't win the league is 1 year. Usually the same with the other top teams. It would be unheard of for the manager to stay 6 seasons with any of these sides.

Jose Mourinho was able to deliver a treble in Italy in his third season with a team of cast-offs, cheap signings, veterns and a bit of wheeling and dealing.

Benitez has delivered the sum total of a Champions League and FA Cup while having vastly more resources to spend than Mourinho.

In my view Benitez was lucky to win the CL with Liverpool in 2005.

Some Liverpool fans think Benitez is in the same league as Mourino. He clearly isn't.

What?

All the team you mentioned have either won or significantly challenged for the league recently. When was the last time Liverpool won the league? When was the last time they even came close to winning it? Oh ya under Rafa...

Cast offs.. he inherited one of the top teams in Italy and made a few excellent signings too. Tbf Barcelona gave him a massive helping hand with the crazy money and swap for Ibra (who I rate by the way)

Since Mourinho joined Inter, I really don't think Rafa has had a big net spend. Don't have the figures to back it up.. but they'll be on the Liverpool thread somewhere

Alos Benitez will likely be the next Inter manager, it'll be interesting to see how well he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rafa should try for the Milan job rather than Inter! How do you follow a treble? Unless he does it again, it's downward's.

The only way is up for Milan. How much spending money would the next manager at Milan get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

lordgoat wrote: »
    So were all the bets and whatnot paid in full to Jank?

Didn't see any mention of it.

+1!

Those that waged their imaginary internet monies have gone very quiet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Lippi - out of a job after the world cup. (he was at 50-1 on pp)

Interesting.......

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    too much time on your hands:D

Quick & simple maths , i may have had to whip out the calculator to work it out compared to Leeds & Chelsea mind u ;)

Interesting.......

The Fiorentina manager has already been appointed Italy manager after the World Cup

It was kind of laughable to watch Liverpool fans imagine that each year would be their year under Benitez.

I don't know any genuine Liverpool fans who thought that

That happened 4 seasons ago, before the 2006 world cup. That explains how Mancini won the league alright.

It doesn't explain how Mourinho took a team of players many would regard as inferior in quality to most other top teams in Europe including Liverpool to Champions League success, accounting for the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona along the way.

Benitez was never going to win the League in England, never! It was kind of laughable to watch Liverpool fans imagine that each year would be their year under Benitez.

You're missing the point. Mourinho took over Champions - Benitez took over a team who were distant fourth, and took them to a Champions League, two finals and a points tally that 9/10 times would have won the league.

i'm not sure Mourinho would have done much better

Edit: there was nothing laughable about 2008/9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

You see the mistake you're making there is inferring Liverpool were a top team in Europe when he took over. They simply weren't.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    What?

All the team you mentioned have either won or significantly challenged for the league recently. When was the last time Liverpool won the league? When was the last time they even came close to winning it? Oh ya under Rafa...

Cast offs.. he inherited one of the top teams in Italy and made a few excellent signings too. Tbf Barcelona gave him a massive helping hand with the crazy money and swap for Ibra (who I rate by the way)

Since Mourinho joined Inter, I really don't think Rafa has had a big net spend. Don't have the figures to back it up.. but they'll be on the Liverpool thread somewhere

Alos Benitez will likely be the next Inter manager, it'll be interesting to see how well he does.

If and it's a big if Benitez is the next Inter manager I can put money on them not winning the domestic league next year and not doing too well in Europe either.

Trust me on that one. He's just a poor manager, poor at man management, good at paying big money for players, but woeful in recent years at forging a team that can sustain a league title challenge.

He'll be a flop where-ever he goes.

podge018 wrote: »
    You see the mistake you're making there is inferring Liverpool were a top team in Europe when he took over. They simply weren't.
    he made them one, though.

Far be it from me to heap praise on Benitez (it feels weird), but you can't deny he made Liverpool a competitive club, where before they simply weren't.

If and it's a big if Benitez is the next Inter manager I can put money on them not winning the domestic league next year and not doing too well in Europe either.

Trust me on that one. He's just a poor manager, poor at man management, good at paying big money for players, but woeful in recent years at forging a team that can sustain a league title challenge.

worst.post.ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a stupid post.

And Man Utd weren't a top team in Europe when Ferguson took over, or Chelsea when Mourinho took over, or Arsenal when Wenger took over.

And please don't say but they had money.

Ferguson hardly spent a fortune with his first League Title winning side. Wenger's first league side didn't have a fortune spent on it either.

The reason Benitez didn't win the league is not because of lack of money, it's because he is a poor manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rarnes1 wrote: »
    worst.post.ever.
    i agree with it :(

rarnes1 wrote: »
    worst.post.ever.

Like I care what you think! I know football, you my friend know nothing about football, I can tell!

Lol, that's why he won La Liga twice, with a team who weren't named Real Madrid, or Barcelona. As well as the CL and various cups he brought liverpool.

you're a funny guy, plasmaguy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

davyjose wrote: »
    Lol, that's why he won La Liga twice, with a team who weren't named Real Madrid, or Barcelona. As well as the CL and various cups he brought liverpool.

you're a funny guy, plasmaguy :D

Did he win it twice? Wow I though he only won it once.

I know football

I can tell ;)

• Advertisement

And Man Utd weren't a top team in Europe when Ferguson took over, or Chelsea when Mourinho took over, or Arsenal when Wenger took over.

Ferguson hardly spent a fortune with his first League Title winning side. Wenger's first league side didn't have a fortune spent on it either.

The reason Benitez didn't win the league is not because of lack of money, it's because he is a poor manager.

Sorry plasmaguy. When Benitez took the job, he brought Liverpool to a level that could almost compete with two of the best managers in Europe, and a very established.strong squad at united, and a heavy investment at Chelsea. He surpassed Arsenal, IMO.

you wanted him to work a miracle, which is what beating both* of these teams would have taken, at Liverpool.

*He finished ahead of either of these sides on two seperate occasions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Your a banker aren't you...?come on you can tell us we love NAMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    in my book it is. you can't really argue wit that.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    We have to stop trying to please everybody,some people are going to be offended thats the nature of these things.I wounder how much cash we make from the US...?very little in the grand scheme of things I would say.

Unbelievable.

And this coming from some of the same people who got embarrassed with the FAI and the 33rd team idea and French Embassy protests.

Imagine disgruntled Ryanair passengers burning the Tri-Colour in London over dissatisfaction with their service? Would that not count as misdirected hate? Or would you understand it?

and Utd still weren't in the same time Benitez has had, they hadn't won a trophy I don't think.

Mourinho took over a good team with a blank cheque book.

Wenger was a great manager, probably better than Benitez at his peak, but so what..... he's gone stale now by the way. Benitez has out performed Wenger in his time in England.

Ferguson spent comparatively more money back then than he does now, he was breaking transfer records for fun.

Well how did Benitez win the league with Valencia then?

Right to all the knowledgeable football people on this thread, time to put your money where your mouths are.

If Benitez goes to Inter and wins the league, I will admit he is a good manager and his time at Liverpool was a blip.

But if he goes to Inter and flops, then I will have been right.

Btw I know he's going to flop, because I know he has terrible judgement, alienates players, and at Liverpool was incapable of creating a consistant side.

He's a poor manager and if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be thankful to see the back of him.

Wow, this is a bad one right here. He's not a poor manager. His record proves that.

Good at paying big money for players?? Unfortunately, he didn't have that opportunity a lot. Only once, i think, did he venture into the twenty million pound mark, and that was for Torres. Yet he's expected to compete with the Chelseas, Utd's and Man City's of the league.

As for being a flop wherever he goes?? :pac: Stop being silly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

i just hope ye liverpool fans get what ye are looking for i reckon its the owners not the ex manager who were the main problem

Did he win it twice? Wow I though he only won it once.

Twice, and he qquit because they wouldn't invest cash. Unlike Liverpool, who had to sack him.

You's had a fantastic manager lads, who brought Liverpool to a level that seemed impossible 6 years ago, and who would have bled for yous, and after one poor season (and rumblings from a few brattish divas of poor man management), yous fcuked him out the door.

Trust me, the rest of us are laughing our asses off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Right to all the knowledgeable football people on this thread, time to put your money where your mouths are.

If Benitez goes to Inter and wins the league, I will admit he is a good manager and his time at Liverpool was a blip.

Btw I know he's going to flop, because I know he has terrible judgement, alienates players, and at Liverpool was incapable of creating a consistant side.

He's a poor manager and if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be thankful to see the back of him.

id wager my access to the sf

no not really

• Advertisement

deise48 wrote: »
    i just hope ye liverpool fans get what ye are looking for

Rafa to be given his job back? Yeah, I hope so too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Isn't that just you?:rolleyes:

and Utd still weren't in the same time Benitez has had, they hadn't won a trophy I don't think.

Mourinho took over a good team with a blank cheque book.

Wenger was a great manager, probably better than Benitez at his peak, but so what..... he's gone stale now by the way. Benitez has out performed Wenger in his time in England.

Ferguson spent comparatively more money back then than he does now, he was breaking transfer records for fun.

Well how did Benitez win the league with Valencia then?

To be honest I don't know how. But Valencia were a good side with good players when he joined.

But he was never going to win the league in England, that was pretty obvious.

and all the other stuff you chatted was bollox. I agree. Bye.

Yeah, anyone knowledgeable enough to judge the man on his first season at Inter :rolleyes:

Headshot wrote: »
    id wager my access to the sf

no not really

I'm guessing that very few Liverpool posters on here remember when Liverpool were the dominant team in England and Europe.

So would you prefer to be also rans in England and Europe or dominant again?

Under Benitez, Liverpool have been also rans for all 6 seasons. Is that really good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

noodler wrote: »
    Unbelievable.

And this coming from some of the same people who got embarrassed with the FAI and the 33rd team idea and French Embassy protests.

Imagine disgruntled Ryanair passengers burning the Tri-Colour in London over dissatisfaction with their service? Would that not count as misdirected hate? Or would you understand it?

Yes the 33rd team in the world cup was laughable.I could understand the French Embassy protests to a point although it was cringeworthy stuff.

Do you think people care about the future of Ryanair the same way they feel about the future of a football club..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'm guessing that very few Liverpool posters on here remember when Liverpool were the dominant team in England and Europe.

Under Benitez, Liverpool have been also rans for all 6 seasons. Is that really good enough?

Boggles Boggles is that you ?????

He's Alive.

I remember the tail end of the dominant years. I remember Liverpool winning the league. I also remember the nineties!!

Seriously, you're talking put of your hoop. Whether it's on purpose or not, i don't know.

Rafa is the greatest manager we have had since Dalglish! He gave us our pride back and made a continent fear us again.

how deep is your hole now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm old enough to remember and I'm intelligent enough to understand that the glories of the past don't translate to one red cent of entitlement in the present. Just because we were successful in the past doesn't mean that we will be again, that's a ludicrous idea. The truth is that only one team can win the premiership every season and if Liverpool are to do it, we have to beat two of the richest clubs in the world. I don't thin that there's a manager in the world who could take the club, in the state it's in, past Chelsea and man yoo. That rafa even came close is the best we could hope for, realistically, and it's just a shame that the 'fans' who don't understand that have been pandered to

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement