Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Muppet wrote: »
    I believe that. I also believe it's explains why Rafa didn't give Keane a fair chance at Liverpool. Rafa used Keane to get back at Parry.

Yes this is what I believe,this would have been harder to do if Keane was playing well.

If Keane played well he would not have been sold in the transfer window,I also believe with an extra good forward we would have won the premiership that season.

So Utd fans have Keane to thank for there number 18.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Keane is gone.

Rafa is gone.

Can't we just let it go?

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Will Riera be back in the fold now that Rafa is gone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Riera is certainly capable of putting in a good shift - but some of the comments attributed to him give me a severe sense of sell r swap r sell r swap r sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yes this is what I believe,this would have been harder to do if Keane was playing well.

If Keane played well he would not have been sold in the transfer window,I also believe with an extra good forward we would have won the premiership that season.

So Utd fans have Keane to thank for there number 18.:)

I'd be more inclined to thank Rafa , a Keane goal here or there in January February may have made all the difference for you. Either way it was bad management to use a player as a pawn.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Will Riera be back in the fold now that Rafa is gone?

Doubt it. Rafa wasn't the only one he had a tirade against, did the same against the board. Would be a bit of a disgrace if he stayed after Rafa left.

At the end of the day, he acted incredibly selfishly when trying to force his move. He didn't just fuck over rafa, he fucked over Liverpool fc. I'd say he's gone as soon as an offer comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Keane is gone.

Rafa is gone.

Can't we just let it go?

Seriously?

Indeed thread lock anyone?

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed thread lock anyone?

I propose we delete any criticism of Rafa while we're at it.

what'll we talk about now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Muppet wrote: »
    I propose we delete any criticism of Rafa while we're at it.

what'll we talk about now?

Indeed.

Thats pretty much when a thread lock is requested around here.

Anyway, if I seem to be chastising Rafa and praising Keane to the hilltops then it is not my intention.

I am only trying to balance out the stance held by some that the Keane debacle had nothing to do with the manager whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Muppet, if this is to become an Anti-Rafa catch all thread then let a mod name it so! I thought it was about him leaving, which he has now done.

We have got to move on - even the haters! :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I certainly do not hate him. I was on the fence about whether or not he should leave.

Muppet, if this is to become an Anti-Rafa catch all thread then let a mod name it so! I thought it was about him leaving, which he has now done.

Balance Mike, thats what this forum has over the likes of RAWK, Red Cafe etc. if there was nothing negative to say about him he'd still be in the Job. Surely this is the proper thread for that discussion.

I don't hate Rafa, I consider my criticism of him valid.

Alan Hansen Views in todays Independent

FORGET the squabbling owners, the failure to build a new stadium and injuries to key players -- Rafael Benitez only needs to look at the squad he is leaving behind to realise why his time is up at Liverpool.The painful truth for Liverpool and their supporters is that the new manager at Anfield, whoever he turns out to be, will find a worse squad at his disposal than that which Benitez inherited from Gerard Houllier in 2004.

And you could even argue that Liverpool are in their worst state since Bill Shankly arrived at the club more than 50 years ago.

After six years under Benitez, it is definitely time for a change at Anfield. Credit must go to managing director Christian Purslow and chairman Martin Broughton for being strong with their decision, but whoever comes in faces a mammoth task, one which will start with a blank sheet of paper and a realisation that it will be a long haul ahead. You could be looking at three to four years before Liverpool get back to where the club should be.But although Benitez will cite a variety of reasons -- the owners, key players losing form, the financial problems -- he is the man who has filled a squad that is littered with bad buys.Benitez made too many mistakes with too many players. In recent seasons, he hasn't got any right beyond Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano and, possibly, Glen Johnson. They were all big-money buys and players of proven quality.

Benitez has had money to spend, but when he has bought players in the mid-range market, they just have not been good enough and that is why Liverpool's bench has been so poor in recent months.Regardless of the ownership issue, which needs resolving as quickly as possible, Liverpool need rebuilding on the pitch, but if I was in charge at Anfield and I had money to give to the manager, would I give it to Benitez?The answer would be a categorical 'no' because he has spent too much money on average players and we are now seeing the fruits of that because Liverpool are a long way short of competing to finish in the top four, never mind fighting to win the big boys' trophies.

It became clear to me halfway through last season, when Liverpool were out of the title race and the Champions League before Christmas, that the time had come for change.But the board could not make that change because Rafa had only recently been given a four-year contract that meant he held all the aces. Whoever gave him that contract must have had a screw loose because it was absolutely crazy.

The decision has now been taken and a replacement must be hired sooner rather than later. I would imagine that the board will have a good idea who they want to bring in, but I don't have a preference, other than wanting somebody who will buy well and who will take the job on under no illusions about the challenge he faces.

If Liverpool continue to drift away from the Champions League positions, then there is a fear that mediocrity awaits three or four years down the line. But, while I don't foresee the club sliding into a Leeds United-style situation, despite the uncertainty over the ownership and the growing debt, many Liverpool fans will feel they are already experiencing their own Leeds meltdown. Leeds and Manchester City both fell all the way to the third tier, but Liverpool have scaled much greater heights than those clubs and, for many fans, languishing in seventh with no prospect of winning the league or European Cup is Liverpool's equivalent of playing in League One.

The ownership problem will not go away until the club is sold and while the owners want much more for their stake than potential buyers are willing to pay, it is difficult to foresee a speedy resolution.In this day and age, will any prospective buyer not want some return on their investment? Probably not, but all that Liverpool fans can hope for is that whoever buys out Tom Hicks and George Gillett will have the club's interest at heart and that they won't use it as a money tool.

The only light at the end of the tunnel for Liverpool at the moment is that they still have Steven Gerrard and Torres. If the club decides to cash in on those two, it might raise £90m for new players, but what kind of statement would that send out? Unfortunately, if Gerrard and Torres go, there will be no light and a dark tunnel for Liverpool.

(© Daily Telegraph, London)

- alan hansen

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/benitez-has-left-reds-in-dark-tunnel-2207280.html

Does this sound familar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Exactly. They're not asking him to manage the team, just to lend his footballing experience to find Rafa's replacement. Kenny may not be up to managing anymore, but he's still a very knowledgeable football man and I feel a LOT better knowing that he's being included in the hunt for a new manager, rather then paying some consultant. I mean, really, who better then Kenny for something like this tbh? Knows his football and will want whats best for the club, not whats best for G&H (a yes man who's just delighted to be in the job rather then worthy of the job).

He's being paid for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

I really do feel sorry for rafa... The beating in the media he is getting is really sad...
    new manager at Anfield, whoever he turns out to be, will find a worse squad at his disposal than that which Benitez inherited from Gerard Houllier in 2004.

hmmmm... Im not sure i agree with this in the least

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

101001 wrote: »
    I really do feel sorry for rafa... The beating in the media he is getting is really sad...

hmmmm... Im not sure i agree with this in the least

I couldn't agree with it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ZonalMarking's take on Benitez's departure. More informed than most of the inane ramblings from former pros splattered about the place.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/04/rafael-benitez-liverpool-legacy/
    Rafael Benitez’ six-year reign as Liverpool manager is over. In future he will doubtless be remembered fondly by Liverpool fans – he may have only guided the side to two trophies, but the victories over Milan and West Ham are two of the most remarkable finals in living memory. They were astonishing victories.

The rest of the footballing world will consider his spell something of a failure. Those two trophies seem an eternity ago, and in recent years his selections, transfers and tactics have often been difficult to understand, and were ultimately unsuccessful.

Part of the problem with Benitez’s reign was his formation as a whole. Liverpool have become accustomed to playing with a 4-2-3-1 system, but it actually took Benitez three and a half seasons before this was installed as the primary formation (which was strange considering he had experienced such success at Valencia with this system). Until then, he had largely persisted with a basic 4-4-2 for league matches, which didn’t suit his two most talented players. Steven Gerrard was not disciplined enough for a central midfield role and was playing too far from goal, whilst Xavi Alonso is a deep midfielder but not a holding one – they clearly both needed a destroyer alongside them. Instead, Gerrard was sometimes shunted out to the right and Alonso struggled for form – the shift to 4-2-3-1 suited them both, but it was late in arriving. The delay probably set Liverpool back a couple of seasons.

Misconceptions about his theories

Ironically, the two constant nagging criticisms about Benitez in the mainstream media were two things he actually got right. Firstly, his use of zonal marking contributed to Liverpool consistently having one of the best defences in the Premier League, and indeed in Europe. It’s easy to mock the system when it goes wrong, but Benitez was entirely correct in persisting with a system that was so obviously successful in terms of the ‘goals conceded’ record.

Secondly, his fondness for squad rotation was not a crazy idea – with Liverpool invariably reaching the latter stages of European competition whilst having to maintain league form, keeping the squad fresh was important. Pundits often made comments like “The players need to know who is in the first XI”, which not only has little merit in itself, it also ignores that fact that it was generally entirely possible to name Benitez’s eleven preferred players. The point that Liverpool’s squad as a whole were never quite good enough is probably a fair criticism, but the rotation itself was not the problem.

Problems with signing attackers

Benitez’s downfall was ultimately his inability to get the best out of attacking, creative players. The Liverpool career of Fernando Morientes – where the Spaniard transformed from a world class striker to a hapless target man within months – seemed strange at the time but essentially he was the first of many attacking talents not used to their full potential.

A lot of Benitez flops were predictable flops. No-one expected Jermaine Pennant to be a success, nor Albert Riera – neither had ever shown the form required for Premiership contenders, and they didn’t improve at Liverpool. Benitez seemed shocked when he bought Craig Bellamy and the Welshman turned out to be (a) fast (b) full of running (c) short on goals and (d) indisciplined. What did he expect? Any Liverpool fan could have predicted that before he arrived. Misjudgements like this gave the impression of him being a poor judge of talent.

His problem with attackers is probably best summed up best by a player he would consider a success – Dirk Kuyt. Yes, he performs a valuable role for Liverpool and is defensively excellent, but how has Benitez managed to get an exciting goalscoring forward and turn him into a defensive-minded workhorse? You can argue that Jose Mourinho has done the same with Samuel Eto’o, but then Inter have been successful and Eto’o remains a confident, excellent footballer. If you’re unsuccessful and you make players look worse than they actually are, you’re probably not doing a great job as manager.

The signing of Robbie Keane, though, was the most costly. Liverpool’s narrow failure to win the Premier League title in 2008/09 can be attributed mainly to the three goalless draws at Anfield in the opening months of the season, against Stoke, Fulham and West Ham. Failing to score against teams of that calibre is not acceptable for potential Premiership winners, and the fact that Keane was playing upfront looking lost and seemingly not fitting into the side can be identified as the main problem. A simplistic point it may be – but if Liverpool had scored in those games, they would have won the title.

Supporters of Benitez often defend his transfer record by pointing to the money that he received from transfers. That was something he did seem good at – how did he get £2m for Djimi Traore, £3.5m for Mark Gonzalez or £8.2m for Momo Sissoko? But of course, this misses the point, that a club like Liverpool should be buying players to improve the team, not to sell on at a profit – money which would doubtless be wasted on another flop anyway.

Furthermore, there is something rather ironic that supporters – who are no doubt (rightly) up in arms about their club being taken over purely for business reasons – can try and defend their manager’s transfers according to the balance sheet, rather than the players’ impact on the pitch.

Lack of a legacy

His cautious style was suited more to knockout football, and reaching the Champions League semi-finals four times in six seasons is a very good achievement. The run to the final in 2005 was Benitez at his finest. The way Liverpool overcame superior Juventus and Chelsea sides with 0-0s away from home and dominant performances at Anfield hinted at a manager who would leave a great legacy at Liverpool Football Club.

Unfortunately, similar success didn’t follow and his claim to be a legacy builder took a hit when Liverpool’s youth coach Rodolfo Borrell recently slammed the club’s academy, saying “It is unacceptable…the under-18s had no centre-forward, no balance, no tactical level, no understanding of the game”. How can this be the case after six years of rule by a noted tactician, who likes to utilize a large squad?

There are still Liverpool fans who wanted him to stay, but you wonder how much of this is an emotional attachment rather than a sporting one. After all, Benitez is a decent man you can’t help feel sympathy for considering the way pathetic boardroom squabbles undermined his position.

But, if in 2004 you had offered these Liverpool fans a flash forward to 2010 – where Benitez is still the manager, Liverpool have still yet to win the Premiership and the most recent season saw them further away than ever before under his reign, in seventh place, they would all have indicated that it was probably right for him to leave.

Maybe the most disappointing thing for Benitez is that the two trophies were not won through tactical masterclasses, but by barely believable comebacks and penalty shoot-outs. The switch to 3-4-1-2 at half-time in Istanbul certainly helped that comeback, but equally it was a bizarre decision to start without a true holding midfielder against a Milan side that notoriously packed their midfield with creative players.

If those two games didn’t show tactical wisdom, they unquestionably showed a group of players that had spirit, determination and faith in their manager, something maybe even harder to achieve than a great tactical gameplan. But sadly, none of those qualities have been in evidence over the past twelve months, and that was Benitez’s cue to leave.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with it more.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,837 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He's being paid for doing it.

? Obviously? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?
    I assume you're referencing where is said "rather then paying some consultant"

I didn't mean that paying a consultant was a waste of money, whats one more wage to a company that size? Couldn't care less about the act of actually paying a consultant. I said I feel a lot better about Kenny being in on it rather then paying a consultant, because Kenny actually has the best thing for the club at heart, not the best thing for H&G. A consultant could be given a mandate of "get someone in who will be ok, but primarily, will not cause us grief and fight against our decisions".

We know Kenny won't work with a mandate like this and will be trying to do the right thing for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

? Obviously? I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?
    I assume you're referencing where is said "rather then paying some consultant"

I didn't mean that paying a consultant was a waste of money, whats one more wage to a company that size? Couldn't care less about the act of actually paying a consultant. I said I feel a lot better about Kenny being in on it rather then paying a consultant, because Kenny actually has the best thing for the club at heart, not the best thing for H&G. A consultant could be given a mandate of "get someone in who will be ok, but primarily, will not cause of grief and fight against our decisions".

We know Kenny won't work with a mandate like this and will only have the clubs interests at heart.

Time will tell with Kenny, his role has to be questioned even more so now that he is being involved with looking for a replacement. Not happy with Kenny at the moment, he is in bed with the people that good people are trying to rid our club of.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Time will tell with Kenny, his role has to be questioned even more so now that he is being involved with looking for a replacement. Not happy with Kenny at the moment, he is in bed with the people that good people are trying to rid our club of.

So you'd rather that the people that have the good of the club at heart jump ship leaving only those who are just after the money?

On the contrary, the more people like Kenny on board, the better chance we have of limiting the decisions of H&G.

I have never seen anything from Kenny to ever doubt that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

If I was liverpool fan I'd be glad he's gone. He's a good manager when it comes to organising a team to be hard to beat but other than that he's poor. Terrible man management skills and woeful in the transfer market. He be a good manager for a club where there is little money to spend or if someone else was doing the buying for him.

So you'd rather that the people that have the good of the club at heart jump ship leaving only those who are just after the money?

On the contrary, the more people like Kenny on board, the better chance we have of limiting the decisions of H&G.

I have never seen anything from Kenny to ever doubt that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

Limiting decisions? Rafa got full control over transfer policy with Rafa not gone Kenny's influence won't matter as you can say bye bye to a number of our saleable assets. The club will stripped to the bare bones in my opinion, Kenny will be apart of that process which sickens me. Time will tell if his true colours that we know were there when he was manager are still in him under this current ownership and board of directors I don't think so.

You will see the ugly side that was involved in the transfer of Rooney from Everton to Man. Utd.

If I was liverpool fan I'd be glad he's gone. He's a good manager when it comes to organising a team to be hard to beat but other than that he's poor. Terrible man management skills and woeful in the transfer market. He be a good manager for a club where there is little money to spend or if someone else was doing the buying for him.

We be glad because our club doesn't deserve a world class manager like Rafael Benitez. I have no doubt that he will prove all the people who forced him out just like he did at Extremadura and Valencia, he will show most of our supporters when he lifting another European Cup in the next 2-3 years while we are battling for mid-table/relegation positioning.

I for one would be delighted for the man. Muchias Gracias Rafael Benitez Por Favor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It's a myth to suggest Benitez was strapped for cash the last few years.

He has spent almost 100 million in the last 3-4 years, yet this year couldn't get past Aston Villa or Spurs in the league or further than Fulham in the Europa League.

The owners looked at Benitez, and saw a man who wanted a bottomless pit of money, to spend on players who just aren't good enough to sustain a season long challenge for the League.

Winning the CL was a good achievement, but he hasn't backed it up with any substantial silverware since (FA cup is not good enough). A lot of money has been spent on the team with no silverware to show for it.

Limiting decisions? Rafa got full control over transfer policy with Rafa not gone Kenny's influence won't matter as you can say bye bye to a number of our saleable assets. The club will stripped to the bare bones in my opinion, Kenny will be apart of that process which sickens me. Time will tell if his true colours that we know were there when he was manager are still in him under this current ownership and board of directors I don't think so.

You will see the ugly side that was involved in the transfer of Rooney from Everton to Man. Utd.

You're a glass half full kind of guy, I can tell ;)

Kenny's job there will have nothing to do with transfers or sale.

He works as an academy director, marketing ambassador, and now is also going to be giving advice on suitable new managers. Lets not attribute results of decisions that frankly have nothing to do with him.

I'm speaking purely from the new manager hunt - I would rather have Kenny giving his say than someone who was given a mandate by H&G. It obviously increases our chances of getting someone potentially decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The bank will not let the owners strip the club to the bare bones. Don't forget they are trying to force a sale, and G&H want to sell. Nobody is going to buy Liverpool with Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and all our other top assets all gone

plasmaguy wrote: »

LOL. :pac:

Boggles?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LOL. :pac:

Boggles?

Are you just going to laugh at everyone who tells it as it is?

Let me say this as well...if I was a player with Inter Milan I would not want Benitez as my manager.

The guys man management skills are atrocious and he isolated and undermined all the players at Liverpool at some stage or another and that it appears was a major factor behind him leaving.

Leaving good players on the bench and taking off good players when tight league games were in the balance, in order to concentrate on the Champions League which they crashed out of in any case.

Benitez bought himself a lot of time with the 2005 CL win. If it wasn't for Stephen Gerrard in group stages Liverpool would have been out and Benitez would more than likely be long gone from Liverpool.

If it wasn't for a questionable 'goal' in the semis against Chelsea and Gerard taking the game by the scruff of the neck in the final, Benitez would be long gone.

The ironic thing about Benitez which sums up his entire career at Liverpool, is that his first choice team in the 2005 CL final got beaten off the park, 3-0.

It was only when forced into changes that things turned around, but I don't credit Benitez and his bungling managment for that, I credit Gerard for that 2005 win.

I expect Liverpool to do well next year, freed from the shackles of a manager who didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing last season.

Anyone who thinks Benitez should have stayed and could have turned it around at Liverpool knows little about football. The man had no clue what he was doing either tactically or in the transfer market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

This is why I don't want Kenny Dalglish involved.

This is why I don't want Kenny Dalglish involved.

Me too because he is going to draw this criticism because he is involved in the process the club specifically referred to this in the statement last night.

You're a glass half full kind of guy, I can tell ;)

Kenny's job there will have nothing to do with transfers or sale.

He works as an academy director, marketing ambassador, and now is also going to be giving advice on suitable new managers. Lets not attribute results of decisions that frankly have nothing to do with him.

I'm speaking purely from the new manager hunt - I would rather have Kenny giving his say than someone who was given a mandate by H&G. It obviously increases our chances of getting someone potentially decent.

Purslow will be head hunting along with Kenny's advice. The man has being out the game for 10 years and football has moved on. If people think the next appointment is going all rosy think again. This upcoming decision will either make or break the club and if Kenny gets it wrong he will get it in the ear.

He has spent almost 100 million in the last 3-4 years, yet this year couldn't get past Aston Villa or Spurs in the league or further than Fulham in the Europa League.

The owners looked at Benitez, and saw a man who wanted a bottomless pit of money, to spend on players who just aren't good enough to sustain a season long challenge for the League.

Winning the CL was a good achievement, but he hasn't backed it up with any substantial silverware since (FA cup is not good enough). A lot of money has been spent on the team with no silverware to show for it.

Calculate how much money was brought into the club by the performances of the man. You will see a clearer of picture of how much money was truly given to him without having to sell to buy which has being the case throughout his reign. Even Houllier spent 20 million in one summer without selling a player ffs.

FA Cup is not good enough. There is 96 reasons every year when the FA Cup is of importance to Liverpool Football Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Em, in the last 3 years Villa and Spurs have spent more than Liverpool. Come on, this **** is basic.

It's strange how little has been made of the story that it was key players who pushed for Benitez to go.

The dissatisfaction among the players towards the manager was pretty obvious for all to see last year both in the media and on the pitch.

Was it a player's revolt that saw Benitez leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

podge018 wrote: »
    Em, in the last 3 years Villa and Spurs have spent more than Liverpool. Come on, this **** is basic.

You're joking, right?

curry-muff wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

Spurs net spend on transfers of £76m over the last 3 years. £68m from Villa. Liverpool's is £35m.

Oh yeh, basic alright.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/06/exclusive-rafa-benitez-vs-aston-villa.html

• Advertisement

It's strange how little has been made of the story that it was key players who pushed for Benitez to go.

The dissatisfaction among the players towards the manager was pretty obvious for all to see last year both in the media and on the pitch.

Was it a player's revolt that saw Benitez leave?

Where your source for this ffs....

Tony Barrett pretty much confirmed this wasn't the case when he broke the story about Rafa leaving on Wednesday night. Even on his web chat yesterday specifcally referred that this wasn't the case.

This was a board of directors decision of Hicks, Gillett, Purslow, Nash and Ayres. Simple as, these guys are a buch of cowards the way they handled the situation and was not conducting with the way I grew up to love Liverpool. The Liverpool Way was well and truly raped by the above men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Them gone. Now. Burning a flag is all good in my book. Symbolic gesture to show how hated they are among our fanbase.

i cant believe that, seriously

i know it been mentioed already, and if thats what you feel, fair enough.

i wonder would you feel it was just symbolic if say a group of other fans decided to burn a liverpool banner or jersey?

i seriously doubt it

i reckon liverpool might wait until after the WC. there is always managers unemployed after that, managers decide to leave etc.

i know they arent going to the WC, but i wonder would Slaven Bilic be considered. Did well with croatia, is young, speaks the language

event wrote: »
    i cant believe that, seriously

i know it been mentioed already, and if thats what you feel, fair enough.

i wonder would you feel it was just symbolic if say a group of other fans decided to burn a liverpool banner or jersey?

i seriously doubt it

i reckon liverpool might wait until after the WC. there is always managers unemployed after that, managers decide to leave etc.

i know they arent going to the WC, but i wonder would Slaven Bilic be considered. Did well with croatia, is young, speaks the language

See this where people are not thinking about this objectively. One last time, the burrning of the AMERICAN FLAG WAS NOT DIRECTED AT THE NATION OF AMERICA just two citizens of the country who are raping our club finanically and nosediving it into the ground. Not saying your not intelligent mate but if people can't see why or who this is aimed then you shouldn't comment because you don't understand the sense of feeling going around at the moment.

THIS IS A WAR!! end of story.

curry-muff wrote: »
    You're joking, right?

What? That show 07/08 Benitez spends 7m more. 08/09 O'Neill spends 34m more. Your point?

and no stats for last season where O'Neill spent more again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

See this where people are not thinking about this objectively. One last time, the burrning of the AMERICAN FLAG WAS NOT DIRECTED AT THE NATION OF AMERICA just two citizens of the country who are raping our club finanically and nosediving it into the ground. Not saying your not intelligent mate but if people can't see why or who this is aimed then you shouldn't comment because you don't understand the sense of feeling going around at the moment.

THIS IS A WAR!! end of story.
    It doesn't work like that. You burn the flag of a country - it's that country that gets offended and that's a reason why it is never justified. Honest to God would you listen to yourself. What's next - taking out a jihad on their asses huh?

• Advertisement

Plasmaguy using Jaimie Kanwar as fact ffs. Brainwashed by the pro-Hicks/Gillett idiot, you need to get your head out of the clouds kid in regards to our finances because Jaimie Kanwar hasn't got a clue.

how can a country get offended?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

how can a country get offended?
    Ask Thierry Henry.

Plasmaguy using Jaimie Kanwar as fact ffs. Brainwashed by the pro-Hicks/Gillett idiot, you need to get your head out of the clouds kid in regards to our finances because Jaimie Kanwar hasn't got a clue.

no, he actually proved my point and made a mockery of his own. Thanks plasmaguy.

It doesn't work like that. You burn the flag of a country - it's that country that gets offended and that's a reason why it is never justified. Honest to God would you listen to yourself. What's next - taking out a jihad on their asses huh?

Honest to god do I care what the general population thinks. Gillett's head was on one of the flags so if you can't clearly understand don't comment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement