Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why?

Torres, Masherano, Reina, Johnson, Alonso, Arbs, Agger, Skittles, Benni were all terrible signings werent they?

Every manager signs bad players, even the very best.

Your hatred of LFC is shown clearly in every post and it's getting a tad boring. As a united fan I expect you to hate us but you are coming out with serious nonsense.

Nah, I just believe that RB created a team that was capable of competing in the CL but less so in the English domestic league or having a serious run at the title which meant a chance of winning it up to and including the last day of the season.

The only season they really looked like winning it, he bottled it and allowed Fergie get under his skin. That was his best chance and it might be another 5 years before he'd get that near again

He was finally exposed last season with his policy of sacrificing the league for European success. In must win league games he took off his best players and ended up losing the games.

In the end he ended up with neither European or domestic silverware for the 4th season in a row.

It's easy to predict what would happen next season under RB. No champions league success and no domestic league success.

Get in a good manager, someone like Hiddink or Hodgson, who is actually interested in winning the English domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pighead wrote: »
    No offense, but when footballers are saying nice stuff about their manager, it generally means fcuk all. Of course they're gonna say nice stuff about their boss if somebody asks them about it.

of course it could all be boll*cks.

but those two are pretty damn good liars then, from what i've seen.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Nah, I just believe that RB created a team that was capable of competing in the CL but less so in the English domestic league or having a serious run at the title which meant a chance of winning it up to and including the last day of the season.

The only season they really looked like winning it, he bottled it and allowed Fergie get under his skin. That was his best chance and it might be another 5 years before he'd get that near again

He was finally exposed last season with his policy of sacrificing the league for European success. In must win league games he took off his best players and ended up losing the games.

In the end he ended up with neither European or domestic silverware for the 4th season in a row.

It's easy to predict what would happen next season under RB. No champions league success and no domestic league success.

Get in a good manager, someone like Hiddink or Hodgson, who is actually interested in winning the English domestic league.

That's like something you copy and pasted from the S*n.

You think Hodgson will win us a league? Take some time to check out his managerial career will you and compare it to Benitez's. It chalk and cheese.

Hiddink fair enough but we can't afford him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jesus, maybe United should sack ferguson and get hodgson if they want to win the league. After all, he has an "interest in winning it" therefore it's just a formality, right?

One of a succesion of rash, juvenile, ill-informed points you've tried to make. Are you not embarrassed?

davyjose wrote: »
    Jesus, maybe United should sack ferguson and get hodgson if they want to win the league. After all, he has an "interest in winning it" therefore it's just a formality, right?

One of a succesion of rash, juvenile, ill-informed points you've tried to make. Are you not embarrassed?

Not embarrassed in the least due to the fact it's the truth.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    No offense, but when footballers are saying nice stuff about their manager, it generally means fcuk all. Of course they're gonna say nice stuff about their boss if somebody asks them about it.

If I were asked by a reporter what my boss was like and I knew he would be hearing my answer I would lie through my teeth and say that "he is the most brilliant, kindest understanding manager in the history of the management game and he's also got a very sweet singing voice which I enjoy hearing at our end of year work parties"
    Load of lies to make him think I'm a nice fella and worth rewarding with a pay rise.

Look at Cannavaro this week after joining some crappy club in the Middle East: “I’m happy to sign for Al Ahli,” he said. “I always thought of moving to live in Dubai as I love it and I have achieved my dream by moving to Dubai and play for one of its big clubs like Al Ahli.”

For those who don't speak bollox the above roughly translates as "Loadsamoney"
    Player loyalty is rare, it's true. But so is intelligence, and a modicum of self-expression. These guys were quite earnest, in a way that guys like Giggs and Cantona have been in their praise of Ferguson in the past(United fan here obviously).

Anything a player says, that isn't a copy and paste "obviously obviously obviously" speech, I'll listen to.
    Torres, wanker that I think he is, clearly wears his heart on his sleeve. I'd believe him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Come on Lads , lets not loose sight of the real problems at LiverPool F.C

Which is true, that Hodgson will win the league because he reallyreally wants to, or that Benitez had no interst in winning it. I'm trying to decide which is funnier, tbh.

I don't take you serious plasmaguy. At least Ardent is an upset (ardent, lol) supporter. You're just full of sh!t on this matter, tbh.

The truth?

Back up your facts will you? I asked you to on the previous page and you didnt. Still waiting on a few answers too btw.

Btw, how come as a united fan you don't post in the Superthread?

Which is true, that Hodgson will win the league because he reallyreally wants to, or that Benitez had no interst in winning it. I'm trying to decide which is funnier, tbh.

I don't take you serious plasmaguy. At least Ardent is an upset (ardent, lol) supporter. You're just full of sh!t on this matter, tbh.

What's amazing is it took Liverpool supporters 6 seasons to figure out that Benitez was never going to win the league.

Like I say, the 2005 CL win bought him some time, maybe too much time.

It's all about silverware at the end of the day, that and the fact that Liverpool are now lumped with a squad of highly paid stars with no CL revenue to pay their wages.

He was never going to win the league and it's unlikely he would ever win the CL again either. So what's left? The FA Cup? League Cup?

• Advertisement

He's not a pool supporter - plasma I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Ardent wrote: »
    Yes it is actually. How many Premiership league titles has he won? How nearer were we to winning the league when he left compared to when he took over?

Look, the man has won the Champions League, La Liga, the UEFA cup, the FA Cup. By all means say you don't think he was good enough for Liverpool because he didn't win the league. But to say he 'had no clue tactically' is self-evidently not true and just makes you look like someone who lacks any real understanding of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

SlickRic wrote: »
    are you f*cking serious?

there's something happening in about 7 days time. i know it's something pretty important. i can't quite remember....

Reina was quoted :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    So a country who started the recession is going to have a sugar daddy considering the Chinese a propping of the Federal Reserve of America. Great intelligence there kid.

Its getting very needly here today.
    Just to get this right - you are saying that there are no insanely rich people lef in America because the recession either wiped them all out or are being proped up by the Chinese?

Well, I know a very wealthy person who has expressed a high level of interest previously who isn't shy of a few bob: Robert Kraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭The Rooster

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Of course he is, he knows the score with what the **** is going more so than our johnny come lately's.

Naive in the extreme.

Watch how Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano will be beating the door down to join him at Inter or wherever he goes :rolleyes:

Cast iron guarantee that they will not be rejoining Benitez wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

For every Torres, there were big money signings in Aquilani, Keane, Dossena, Pennant, Morientes that simply didn't work.

Also, selling the likes of Crouch and Bellamy when still at their peak can't be ignored.

Using the phrase 'tactical genius' for Benitez, that is supposed to have become gospel, is debatable at best!

shotamoose wrote: »
    Look, the man has won the Champions League, La Liga, the UEFA cup, the FA Cup. By all means say you don't think he was good enough for Liverpool because he didn't win the league. But to say he 'had no clue tactically' is self-evidently not true and just makes you look like someone who lacks any real understanding of football.

Do you agree RB was just not suited to winning the English Domestic League?

Winning the CL every 7 or 8 years is surely not good enough?

RB was not suited to winning the English domestic league, despite having more than enough resources two seasons ago. He just blew it, the best chance Liverpool had in 20 years. It was a Kevin Keegan type meltdown.

What's amazing is it took Liverpool supporters 6 seasons to figure out that Benitez was never going to win the league.

LOL and you a UTD supporter saying this..

**cough Alex Ferguson .

Nov 1986 appointed manager .

May 1993 First league title .

I make that I make that over 6 years before a title was won . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Do you agree RB was just not suited to winning the English Domestic League?

Winning the CL every 7 or 8 years is surely not good enough?

RB was not suited to winning the English domestic league, despite having more than enough resources two seasons ago. He just blew it, the best chance Liverpool had in 20 years. It was a Kevin Keegan type meltdown.
    It wasn't a meltdown, Last Year..if the season went on for another 2 or three weeks Liverpool would of won the league. They had a great end to the season last year

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

mixednuts wrote: »

**cough Alex Ferguson .

You reckon Benitez was on the verge of winning it next season then yea? Since it's you who wants to compare.

• Advertisement

Also, selling the likes of Crouch and Bellamy when still at their peak can't be ignored.

Crouch was offered a new deal - he refused. He wanted regular football. What else could Rafa do?

Bellamy was sold to fund Torres deal. Torres obviously >>> Bellamy. That checks out too I'm afraid.

He's not a pool supporter - plasma I mean

That's my point. He's just on a rant.

**cough Alex Ferguson .

**cough FA Cup 1990, Cup Winners Cup 1991, League runners up 1992, after running Leeds very close.

Utd were slowly but surely moving in the right direction. By the end of 1992 season they had a consistant team to mount a challenge. The pieces were falling into place.

The final piece was Cantona who cost only 1 million pounds. Benitez on the other hand wants tens of millions.

despite having more than enough resources two seasons ago.

How do you figure that? Was Liverpool's wage bill higher than United or Chelsea's? That's the most objective measure of squad strength / 'resources to call on', after all.

Not particularly sure why I'm discussing this with someone who seems to talk in tabloid headlines though.

Reina was quoted :p
    Torres and Gerrard have both been quoted in the last two weeks. Neither said a whole heap about their Liverpool futures, just "wait and see". Obviously knew that Rafa was under pressure and decided neither to give praise or otherwise.

I bet neither were surprised with the events that unfolded yesterday.

**cough FA Cup 1990, Cup Winners Cup 1991, League runners up 1992, after running Leeds very close.

Utd were slowly but surely moving in the right direction. By the end of 1992 season they had a consistant team to mount a challenge. The pieces were falling into place.

you gonna answer my questions then and provide links ?

You reckon Benitez was on the verge of winning it next season then yea? Since it's you who wants to compare.

No i never said/reckoned Benitez was going to win the Prem next season , I was responding to a very broad statement about "how stupid" Liverpool were to not see that Benitez was never gonna win the league ...yet it was no different to the team that the OP supported.
    We gave it a very good go 2008/09 , but look at us now 12 months later .
    Very true ...a year is a very long time in football.

The final piece was Cantona who cost only 1 million pounds. Benitez on the other hand wants tens of millions.

If you want to compare the first 6yrs of Fergies and Rafa's reign then we could be here all day .
    Champions League , FA Cup etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Seriously, will you come on now.
    You can not blame Rafa not us not winning the League 2 seasons ago. Everything went for us that season and imo the table made us look a lot closer than we actually were. IIRC, it was around Jan or Feb of that season that results didn't go our way and Utd start pulling away. We were something like 8 points behind but came good for the last part of the season but never really were up there putting Utd under extreme pressure.
    How did RB have a "Kevin Keegan style meltdown"?

Our squad that season was not a patch on Chelsea or Utds as they had years of investing in £20m+ players where we had something like 2 players that cost in the region of that number.
    Its scandalous that there are people saying we underachieved in finishing second and that we blew it.

I just find it amazing that 12 months ago RB was the best thing since sliced bread and now some people slate him as the worst manager we have ever had. Its actually embarrising.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »

I just find it amazing that 12 months ago RB was the best thing since sliced bread and now some people slate him as the worst manager we have ever had. Its actually embarrising.

Its a fooking real embarrassment to me ...some people would really wanna cop themselves on ... these same people (this time last year) going around "its our title next season its our " ...then the past few months "get rid of that fat waiter etcetc" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He was on the verge of winning it last season. And a CL might have tied them over, yes, no?

I can't wait for this Liverpool League bullsh!t to end. Here, lads, since 1985, you've won 3 leagues and one CL.

What's the obsession?
    CL>>>>>>>>>>>EPL

Its a fooking real embarrassment to me ...some people would really wanna cop themselves on ... these same people (this time last year) going around "its our title next season its our " ...then the past few months "get rid of that fat waiter etcetc" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Nobody on this forum thought he was a brilliant manager last year and now thinks he's the worst we've ever had. Maybe you're talking about other forums?

If you want to compare the first 6yrs of Fergies and Rafa's reign then we could be here all day .
    Champions League , FA Cup etc etc

It took Ferguson years to clean out the dead wood at Man Utd and start again with younger players like Sharpe, Giggs and Keane. But it was worth doing even if it took 5 or 6 years.

Benitez inherited a relatively good one. Since then he has not built a league championship winning side.

Maybe Benitez should have cleaned out some dead wood at Liverpool years ago, brought in younger players like Fergie did and lay the foundations of a new Liverpool dynasty.

The Liverpool owners however have run out of money and patience with RB.

Nobody on this forum thought he was a brilliant manager last year and now thinks he's the worst we've ever had. Maybe you're talking about other forums?

Rooster ,
    I was not specifically talking about this soccer forum , just work colleagues etc .

It took Ferguson years to clean out the dead wood at Man Utd and start again with younger players like Sharpe, Giggs and Keane. But it was worth doing even if it took 5 or 6 years.

Benitez inherited a relatively good one. Since then he has not built a league championship winning side.

Maybe Benitez should have cleaned out some dead wood at Liverpool years ago, brought in younger players like Fergie did and lay the foundations of a new Liverpool dynasty.

The Liverpool owners however have run out of money and patience with RB.

Plasma,
    I am not gonna go there ...I am gonna keep things in perspective .
    Every manager has their flaws and make mistakes , my gripe is with how Rafa was treated ( character assassination) in the past 12 months.

• Advertisement

Plasma

You are after getting caught out a few times and are trying to cover your tracks

Seriously, will you come on now.
    You can not blame Rafa not us not winning the League 2 seasons ago. Everything went for us that season and imo the table made us look a lot closer than we actually were. IIRC, it was around Jan or Feb of that season that results didn't go our way and Utd start pulling away. We were something like 8 points behind but came good for the last part of the season but never really were up there putting Utd under extreme pressure.
    How did RB have a "Kevin Keegan style meltdown"?

Our squad that season was not a patch on Chelsea or Utds as they had years of investing in £20m+ players where we had something like 2 players that cost in the region of that number.
    Its scandalous that there are people saying we underachieved in finishing second and that we blew it.

2 players?

Torres, Gerrard, Aquilani, Johnson, Kuyt.

Then you have the 10-20 million players, Benyuon, Mascarano, Reina, Carraghar, Babel, Ngog, and a couple more.

Liverpool are not a team made up of cheap players.

I won't mention Robbie Keane by the way.

One of the reasons for Liverpool's disastrous start to the 09/10 season was the absence of Alonso and the failure to replace him with a fit player.

You can't win titles without players like Alonso and with players like Aquilani.

2 players?

You do realise Gerrard was brought up through the ranks?

Johnson was under 20m

Kuyt was under 20m

Once again - caught out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

2 players?

Then you have the 10-20 million players, Benyuon, Mascarano, Reina, Carraghar, Babel, Ngog, and a couple more.

One of the reasons for Liverpool's disastrous start to the 09/10 season was the absence of Alonso and the failure to replace him with a fit player.

You can't win titles without players like Alonso and with players like Aquilani.

Congratulations, you've just dragged the thread to a new all-time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2 players?

Just to add to what others have said:

Benny cost around £5m.
    N'Gog cost like £2m
    Reina cost £8m

Certainly not 10-20m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Torres and Gerrard have both been quoted in the last two weeks. Neither said a whole heap about their Liverpool futures, just "wait and see". Obviously knew that Rafa was under pressure and decided neither to give praise or otherwise.

I bet neither were surprised with the events that unfolded yesterday.

exactly my point

if they wanted to back him after yesterday, ala Reina, they could have if they wanted (Torres espscially as if Reina could be quiotes so could Torres)
    Perhaps Capello may not have allowed Gerrard but as club captain I am sure he would have gotten permission.

2 players?

Only two of whom cost £20m or more. You really are making a mess of this, aren't you?

It's gone quiet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Benetiz choose to buy more cheaper players than invest in one top quality player. It was a choice, he made it on a regular basis. Anyone who doesnt realise that is frankly delusional. You have x amount to spend. You can either buy one top top class player, or two average players. He systematically got the balance wrong. When he deserperately needed a new RB and new CM, he spent 15 million or so on both, and got one croked player, and one new RB, who wasnt significantly better than what he had before. When he looked at his midfield, he wanted to add Barry to the mix and replace him with Alonso. He didn't get his way, and Liveprool had their best season. His second choice, i.e. not a player forced on him but his second choice, was Keane, who was never right for the system that Liverpool were deploying. Everyone talks about what would have happened if they had gotten Barry instead of Keane, it would have been at the cost of Alonso, your best player that season.

He made a series of mistakes in the transfer market that resulted in him not getting the best out of the money he had. I don't see how anyone, anyone, could disagree with that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It's gone quiet :pac:

Calm before the storm, just going off to his random comment generator and seeing what pops out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

donation.jpg
    jank kindly said to donate the 100 euros to the alzheimers society,as i thought this was a good jesture i doubled it to 200.
    first time ever sceenprinting something hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fair play to you lads - we should all gamble like this!

donation.jpg
    jank kindly said to donate the 100 euros to the alzheimers society,as i thought this was a good jesture i doubled it to 200.
    first time ever sceenprinting something hope it works

Nice !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It worked, I lodged 100 to a radiothon in Cork for the Kids dept in the local hospital.
    Might have to listen to him from now on.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am back,anybody want to summarize the last 100 or so posts or do I have to read them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement