Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What about zidane returning for France and becomming player of the tournement 4 years ago? Shouldn't have come back?

Carra was asked return to help his country, why shouldn't he come out of retirement? Nothing negative/dishonourable/underhanded about it whatsoever.

Of course it is, especially when he didn't play any part in the hard work of qualification! He exemplified the arrogance of big club players, by playing the 'poor me' card when talking to the media three years ago!

It devalues international football when players do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

genuinely think its time this thread was closed. jamie carragher coming out of retirement, sven, gambling etiquette etc are not wat its for. another thread will probably be needed shortly when there's clear applicants for the job, until then maybe best to wrap this one up?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    genuinely think its time this thread was closed. jamie carragher coming out of retirement, sven, gambling etiquette etc are not wat its for. another thread will probably be needed shortly when there's clear applicants for the job, until then maybe best to wrap this one up?

Yet, you wanted a reply from me on Carragher. :rolleyes:

I think talking about future managers fits in OK with the gist of the thread, but we'll see what others think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Of course it is, especially when he didn't play any part in the hard work of qualification! He explemfied the arrogance of big club players, by playing the 'poor me' card when talking to the media three years ago!

He was ASKED to come back by their manager. Would it have been such a travesty if Adam Johnson had gone too? He didn't contribute either but was being considered. It's the managers job to bring his best team. He felt carra was part of this and requested that he go.

Of course it is, especially when he didn't play any part in the hard work of qualification! He exemplified the arrogance of big club players, by playing the 'poor me' card when talking to the media three years ago!

It's gone to slagging Carra off now, is it ?

One of the best pros ever to put on a red shirt. :(

Your posts are BS tbh

Carra wont be the next manager btw

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He was ASKED to come back by their manager. Would it have been such a travesty if Adam Johnson had gone too? He didn't contribute either but was being considered. It's the managers job to bring his best team. He felt carra was part of this and requested that he go.

Johnson wasn't the one being begged to return to qualifiers by other players!

Not denying he has been a good pro for Liverpool, but his attitude to international football not so good. I get the feeling that English born Liverpool players care way more for their club than country, and that is fine with me, as long as they don't become hypocrites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's gone to slagging Carra off now, is it ?

One of the best pros ever to put on a red shirt. :(

Your posts are BS tbh

Carra wont be the next manager btw

Whoever it was that came up with the idea of Carragher being the next manager of Liverpool needs their heads checked. Quickly.

Players don't get to pick the squad. That's the managers job. When he asked-Carra came back. Circumstances were different, no CL ball for example, so he said yea. Its not complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayz your some man for the exclamation marks.

I don't really have anything to add, I simply don't see the problem with answering the request to go to south Africa. Seems to me the manager doing the requesting is the one who should be feeling your ire, not the player who agreed to the request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Whoever it was that came up with the idea of Carragher being the next manager of Liverpool needs their heads checked. Quickly.

Its been raised already. There's a difference between players asking you and the manager

101001 wrote: »
    Its been raised already. There's a difference between players asking you and the manager

WTF

It was a písstake by someone I'd imagine.

It seems the above isnt Carra being manager though. It's about him playing/not playing for England :confused:

Seriously, who cares?

Agree that Capello was being disrespectful to the likes of Dawson here - at least he is now in the squad though!

Agree that Capello was being disrespectful to the likes of Dawson here - at least he is now in the squad though!

Huh?

!!!!!

Huh?

!!!!!

ROTFLMAO

• Advertisement

Huh?

!!!!!

Dawson = not in the initial 23 man squad.

cappello's job is to pick the best players he has available to him. not to make mates. to give england the best chance at winning the wc. that's all he's doing.

Dawson = not in the initial 23 man squad.

Is Dawson in for this job now as well? ;)

Is Dawson in for this job now as well? ;)

What odds on Paul McCartney?

What odds on Paul McCartney?

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

WTF
    ROTFLMAO
    LOL

Ah now, come on, do your posting abilities exhaust to just one word or what's the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a bit nostalgic, it may not be to everyone's liking, but this is a nice enough photo slideshow of Rafa's time at Liverpool.

i've also added a romantic look back at the Old Trafford 4-1 Sky Sports did before the Villa game last year.

is it really sad that i watched the Torres goal v Utd about 20 times over there?

if Rafa is thanked for nothing else during his 6 years, he should be thanked for bringing him to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

SlickRic wrote: »
    if Rafa is thanked for nothing else during his 6 years, he should be thanked for bringing him to the club.

And for an absolute steal of a price, too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

SlickRic wrote: »
    a bit nostalgic, it may not be to everyone's liking, but this is a nice enough photo slideshow of Rafa's time at Liverpool.

i've also added a romantic look back at the Old Trafford 4-1 Sky Sports did before the Villa game last year.

is it really sad that i watched the Torres goal v Utd about 20 times over there?

Cheers for them, brings back some great moments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Osu wrote: »
    Ah now, come on, do your posting abilities exhaust to just one word or what's the story?

MegaLolz! ROFLCOPTER!

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Cheers for them, brings back some great moments :)

From a year ago. How time flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thought Rafa made a right ar$e of himself last season, when he whined about Man U. It reminded me of the Kevin keegan moment a couple of years back.:o As a Man U fan, I'm sad to see him go because he was tactically inept. Unfortunately however, ye might get a decent manager now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

torres was a brillent buy but he did buy a lot of average players aswell just for them to play a few games and never be seen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I thought Rafa made a right ar$e of himself last season, when he whined about Man U. It reminded me of the Kevin keegan moment a couple of years back.:o As a Man U fan, I'm sad to see him go because he was tactically inept. Unfortunately however, ye might get a decent manager now.

Yeah, that was the season before...

Good call on the tactically inept. I think that is the first time I have ever heard that criticism of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Rafa also had zero man management skills, my old dog who died in the new year had better attributes in that department.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    torres was a brillent buy but he did buy a lot of average players aswell just for them to play a few games and never be seen again
    Rafa also had zero man management skills, my old dog who died in the new year had better attributes in that department.

Are you lads just contributing random sound bites at this stage?

I'd hazard a guess that Rafa may be in some way responsible for the death of your dog. He seems to be the cause of the rest of the worlds ill's so you may as well chuck that in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Simple question, from someone who doesn't really care too much about Rafa, Liverpool or United, if Rafa is such a bad tactician, man-manager and general ****head, how do we explain the 2 La Liga wins, a Champions League win and a Champions League runner-up, UEFA Cup win and FA Cup win, and generally finishing in the top places most seasons?

Only in the mind of a fool, are you only as good as your last season. The more logical mind should be easily to see he at least deserved another season. I don't think anyone would doubt that this season was an absolute nightmare, terrible, but they finished second the season before. If he messed it up again in 2010/11, fair enough to get rid, even before the end of the season if it becomes obvious the season is going nowhere, but it screams out to me that he has been sacked on the back of a bad season. When have knee-jerk reactions like that ever worked for anyone? It pretty much sent Newcastle down to the Championship.

CSF wrote: »
    Simple question, from someone who doesn't really care too much about Rafa, Liverpool or United, if Rafa is such a bad tactician, man-manager and general ****head, how do we explain the 2 La Liga wins, a Champions League win and a Champions League runner-up, UEFA Cup win and FA Cup win, and generally finishing in the top places most seasons?

Only in the mind of a fool, are you only as good as your last season. The more logical mind should be easily to see he at least deserved another season. I don't think anyone would doubt that this season was an absolute nightmare, terrible, but they finished second the season before. If he messed it up again in 2010/11, fair enough to get rid, even before the end of the season if it becomes obvious the season is going nowhere, but it screams out to me that he has been sacked on the back of a bad season. When have knee-jerk reactions like that ever worked for anyone? It pretty much sent Newcastle down to the Championship.
    :( all true

:( all true

His record wasnt bad, but finishing in the top 4 would be the minimum requirement considering the resources and cash he spent.

He came across as someone who was not inspiring others to greatness and wanted a big chequebook to sign the best players, rather than bring out the best in players himself.

which is what managers should do, SAF, has inspired over a decade of great players at OT which led to their utter domination of the title.

His after match interviews were mostly comical at best also which didnt do himself any favours, He is also responsible for having a non descript subs bench/.

Liverpool need a manager to inspire greatness, and win titles, finishing in the top 4 would not give me much satisfaction if I supported a team with a history like LFC.

At the moment I cant see them finishing in the top 4 next year either, the times are a changing.....

X in the City, you're aware Mr Ferguson had a couple of 11th (one of which came after a 2nd place) finishes before he finally won the title with United after 7 years of spending more than everyone, trying and failing. The one thing we may agree on is that Rafa and Liverpool unneerperformed this year, hugely. I agree on that. I just don't think managers should be sacked on the back of 1 poor season.

X in the City, you're aware Mr Ferguson had a couple of 11th (one of which came after a 2nd place) finishes before he finally won the title with United after 7 years of spending more than everyone, trying and failing. The one thing we may agree on is that Rafa and Liverpool unneerperformed this year, hugely. I agree on that. I just don't think managers should be sacked on the back of 1 poor season.

Sure if you were to apply the same standards, Moyes could as easily be gone:

8th
    7th
    5th
    2nd
    5th
    4th
    6th
    3rd
    11th
    3rd
    4th
    5th
    17th
    7th

He came across as someone who was not inspiring others to greatness and wanted a big chequebook to sign the best players, rather than bring out the best in players himself.

which is what managers should do, SAF, has inspired over a decade of great players at OT which led to their utter domination of the title.
    1. All managers want money to spend. If i had a penny for everytime dignity dave was ****tin on about not being able to compete cause of money etc etc i'd be a rich man. Nothing wrong with it, but slating Rafa for expecting a club which wants to have League winning aspirations for not backing accordingly is just the usual ****e thrown at him. 2-you seem to be following Dignity Daves lead in wedging yourself firmly up fergusons hole. Extraordinary manager that he is, i'd advise you do a little research about how many transfer spending records he broke in pursuit of his first title, and quite regularly since then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

1. All managers want money to spend. If i had a penny for everytime dignity dave was ****tin on about not being able to compete cause of money etc etc i'd be a rich man. Nothing wrong with it, but slating Rafa for expecting a club which wants to have League winning aspirations for not backing accordingly is just the usual ****e thrown at him. 2-you seem to be following Dignity Daves lead in wedging yourself firmly up fergusons hole. Extraordinary manager that he is, i'd advise you do a little research about how many transfer spending records he broke in pursuit of his first title, and quite regularly since then too.

SAF>>>Rafa

There Al, I made it work again.
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Not unreasonable, maybe my little moan did have an effect on you.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are you saying that as the senior poster in the thread? Reminds me of another posters style, but I can't quite place who...

Sure if you were to apply the same standards, Moyes could as easily be gone:

8th
    7th
    5th
    2nd
    5th
    4th
    6th
    3rd
    11th
    3rd
    4th
    5th
    17th
    7th

but why does everyone jump on the moyes bandwagon, just because I bring up a post.

for one, its not comparing apples with apples

as most decent Everton lads and anyone with any knowledge will tell you Everton dont aspire to win a title, now or anytime soon. , its not because we dont want to, but moreso its impossible as anyone knows. With Liverpool and yes, they are a huge club. Its totally different, they aspire to win a title anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. but they are far far from winning any such thing.

not difficult to understand is it.. sure SAF had a cock time at the start, but does any Pool supporter seriously think if rafa stayed at the helm any longer... that ye would win a title.

well, lolz to that. It was worse if anything ye were getting. , in retrospective, I think Everton are improving, our record or having so little defeats in the latter part of the year is proof of that, along with scalps of most of the top 4. Everton were the big old whipping boys not long ago. A biggish team other teams used to have no fear of getting maximum points off, thankfully Moyes has changed that. bless him

Everton dont have aspirations for winning a title though, so if Pool have the same aspirations by all means go and hire rafa again.!

The only thing wrong with Everton right now is our pink 'dynaglow' away kit.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is that the consensus amoung all the Liverpool top posters or have you gone solo.;)

5starpool wrote: »
    Are you saying that as the senior poster in the thread? Reminds me of another posters style, but I can't quite place who...
    Dom you prick! :eek: just re-read that post and i did sound like him. I'm going to the jacks to vomit! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

/thread Why ?

Cause it's gone a little off thread ????

The day a thread on the Soccer Forum stays on the straight and narrow is the day the whole forum should be closed ... And that's never !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

I posted the link on the main thread but here it is for those to read Dion Fannings thoughts on rafa's departure, which would be close enough to my own.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/liverpool-dancing-in-the-dark-without-guidance-of-benitez-2209743.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

but why does everyone jump on the moyes bandwagon, just because I bring up a post.

for one, its not comparing apples with apples

as most decent Everton lads and anyone with any knowledge will tell you Everton dont aspire to win a title, now or anytime soon. , its not because we dont want to, but moreso its impossible as anyone knows. With Liverpool and yes, they are a huge club. Its totally different, they aspire to win a title anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. but they are far far from winning any such thing.

not difficult to understand is it.. sure SAF had a cock time at the start, but does any Pool supporter seriously think if rafa stayed at the helm any longer... that ye would win a title.

well, lolz to that. It was worse if anything ye were getting. , in retrospective, I think Everton are improving, our record or having so little defeats in the latter part of the year is proof of that, along with scalps of most of the top 4. Everton were the big old whipping boys not long ago. A biggish team other teams used to have no fear of getting maximum points off, thankfully Moyes has changed that. bless him

Everton dont have aspirations for winning a title though, so if Pool have the same aspirations by all means go and hire rafa again.!

The only thing wrong with Everton right now is our pink 'dynaglow' away kit.

:(
    But surely judging a manager's performance based on the unrealistic expectations is going down the Newcastle route even moreso? It is 20 years since Liverpool last won the title. That can no longer be the realistic target for a season, unless the funds are plowed in to be spent on title winning players and wages to match. The teams around them have gained advantages over Liverpool, Man United have had the best manager in the world for over 20 years, Chelsea have spent so much cash that it would make it almost impossible for them not to be contenders, it won't be too long til we're saying the same about City, and even Spurs have spent ridiculous amounts in their chase to find 4th, Villa have even spent loads.

Arsenal have gotten that rare manager who can regularly sign players for nothing, and turn them into worldbeaters, but you can't judge Benitez on that, there isn't another Wenger out there, if there was a Wenger, a Ferguson, a Mourinho or a Guardiola waiting in the wings to take on the job, you'd say fine, let Benitez go, this could be the start of something great for the club. But if you look at the list of available candidates, would any of them appeal to another club more than Benitez would? Could you see Chelsea, Inter or Valencia doing up their shortlist for the new manager and rating Hodgson or Dalglish or any of the others higher than Benitez? Of course they wouldn't, so why should Liverpool?

Fair enough, if his time at Liverpool had been an unmitigated disaster, you could say 'ok well maybe he is a top manager, but just isn't the one for us', but its entirely possible that Liverpool just had a 12 month period from hell, following on from an extremely successful season where they put in their first real title challenge in a long time, sometimes all it takes is one inspired signing, an injury free season, a few players to hit form at the same time, and everything is nice and rosy again. When boardrooms don't give successful managers time to turn things around, bad things happen. If the new manager doesn't finish top 4 this season (which I'd predict that Liverpool won't), do you sack him too?

great post CSF. its also worth pointing out that the Inter owner/chairman has also confirmed that he hopes to get Rafa into the job there. honestly you couldn't make it up, our club is ****ed. we decide to pay money to get rid of one of our greatest assets who then strolls into the job of the Italian and European champions. unbelievable.

Ok, I'll bite. The press conference occured a few months before Liverpool beat United 4-1 in Old Trafford, Madrid 4-0 in Anfield and coming closest to winning the league in 19 years. Also, it would seem that the current European champions are about to hire this tactically inept manager. Strange that, isn't it?

How long have you been with the academy?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement