Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

isn't it great to get a break from all the World Cup BolIix !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Paulegend wrote: »
    Juventus and Inter will be ready to offer him a job right away. could you imagine he could get 3 million from Liverpool and then a huge sign on fee from one of those two and wages on top of that with both teams having cash to spend.........................

Yeah but aside from the jokey tone of my post, Rafa is in a position to play hardball, not Liverpool. They're the ones who've broken the contract, and an offer like £3m is pathetic given what he could earn. £5 or £6 million, or I'd be working on my tan, and doing all the things in eagle eyes post (above), and a club, already struggling financially, can go and whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MR NINE wrote: »
    U being serious or is it a bad attempt at winding people up?

I promise I'm not in a wind-up tonight.

Frisbee is a mate of mine, I wouldn't do that to her tonight of all nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

monkey9 wrote: »
    WTF??? Where are you getting those odds from? I wanna know which bookmakers or betting site is making Ozzie Ardliles the the fifth favourite for the Liverpool job!!
    Click the blue words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »
    Frisbee is a mate of mine, I wouldn't do that to her tonight of all nights.

Represent

WTF??? Where are you getting those odds from? I wanna know which bookmakers or betting site is making Ozzie Ardliles the the fifth favourite for the Liverpool job!!

:confused:

er, it isn't ardiles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswaldo_de_Oliveira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I wonder if rafa is hoping that Spain bomb at the WC so he could take Del Bosque's job!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Headshot wrote: »
    pp dont have that market :p

it'll be up in the morning i reckon

You're not wrong. Damn. [If Rafa is in fact gone] I reckon its not a bad bet.

Doesn't need to move.
    Much higher wages for him.
    Bigger budget [maybe :P]
    Has taken Everton as far as they can go now with the emergence of Citeh and Spurs.
    Its time he had a new challenge.
    Proven manager with little spending power.
    Commands respect in the dressing room, great motivator and team building - just what Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder if Martin Jol would be a possible replacement? I think he's said he'd like to go back to the Premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Mark Hughes must come into the reckoning. Out of work at the minute and a decent track record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

well to be fair Rafa could hold out and refuse to walk for less than 7 or 8 million. his agent will definitly be looking at the inter job right now. depends on what deal Liverpool are offering. Liverpool could be offering the 3 million on the basis he can work straight away but if he wants more then the club could demand he not work for a certain period. at Rafa's age i think he will want to get straight back to work. he is only 50 and will want to fix this patch on his portfolio straight away. so i guess its all depending on negotiations.

hopefully im right by saying his love for Liverpool means he wont hold us to ransom.............................. i hope im right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Des wrote: »
    Someone's told me he's been spotted in Liverpool. Not saying it's true, but there you go.

I know most on here will probably burn me at the stake for saying this but I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot.

Opr

I wonder if Martin Jol would be a possible replacement? I think he's said he'd like to go back to the Premiership.

Not a bad shout imo, is he on that list? Or has he taken a new job in therecent past that might rule him out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Coming into this thread very late. Nothing at all on the Liverpool website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Why is Mourinho even on that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jol is a good shout

in the ajax job atm

doing a great job there too

Mark Hughes must come into the reckoning. Out of work at the minute and a decent track record

Don't think the Liverpool board would go for a man that isn't world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

FearDark wrote: »
    :D LOL yea, good shout :D

• Advertisement

sky bet mate. i should have stated but click on the blue links and it brings you straight to the betslip:D see how helpful i am lol
    ShaneU wrote: »

he just goty the Madrid job no way he could leave that quick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Won't Hicks and Gillette be the ones in charge of finding a replacement? That could be disastrous.

I have to say, it also pretty much confirms that H&G have no intention whatsoever of selling the club in the forseeable future. Why would they pay off Rafa, and pay another person's signing-on fee, if a new owner was on his way in.*

I think it'll also be interesting to see how this business - if true - will affect the positions of Torres and Gerrard. Will they be more likely to stay or leave if Rafa is gone? If Rafa had 'lost the dressing room', then they are more likely to stay.

* By "paying" I mean that that money would come out of whatever profit they made from the club.

ShaneU wrote: »
    LAY all the Way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

FearDark wrote: »

But in the state of limbo they find themselves in,so to speak,can they afford someone who IS world class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Gillington wrote: »
    But in the state of limbo they find themselves in,so to speak,can they afford someone who IS world class?

The more I think about it the more I know im right about Moyes :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yeah, Rafa hasn't even left, in fact talks are far from over, and Zola is already the new manager just because he was "seen" in Liverpool.

Bull**** rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

What is Rijkaard up to these days ? Another I wouldn't mind giving a shot, if people didn't want to burn me after my first suggestion then I think at least now I will have persuaded them :p

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rafa has a contract till 2014 FFS ? That contract is worth 20million, why would he except 3 million because he had one bad season.. not going to happen folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

opr wrote: »
    What is Rijkaard up to these days ? Another I wouldn't mind giving a shot, if people didn't want to burn me after my first suggestion then I think at least now I will have persuaded them :p

Opr

Not a bad shout TBH!

He's at Galatasary i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why the special thread lads? Or is it for all the particuarly ill informed opinion? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

as much as i want rafa to stay - utd fan :D - i think even if he is being pushed out, 3million now vs 20million for next 5 years is a no brainer. He can take club to cleaners if they sack him, so if he likes liverpool as much as he says he does he should stay - at least to get more money out of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Stevecw wrote: »
    This one is Woy Hodgsons I reckon. Just put 50 on him at 5/1, so hope it happens.
    He seems the obvious choice, cheap and done well with a much lesser team.

Hodgson is expected to be named manager by people who always know more than I do.

I've backed him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Rafa has a contract till 2014 FFS ? That contract is worth 20million, why would he except 3 million because he had one bad season.. not going to happen folks.

£3m means he can start work at Inter or whoever next week.

£16m (or 20m) means he will be paid by Pool until 2014 but he cannot take up any job anywhere else, even if Real or Spain came up.

Liverpool are trying to pay him £3m to rip up his contract and walk out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

He won the european cup after one season. The Champions League win made him only the third manager, after Bob Paisley and Mourinho, to win the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League in successive seasons and the second Liverpool manager (after Joe Fagan) to win the European Cup/UEFA Champions League in his first season in charge. Benítez' tactics were credited as a key factor in Liverpool reaching, and winning, the final, despite an unimpressive squad of players.

Many people forget he also reached the carling cup final after one season.

He won the fa cup after two seasons. In winning the FA Cup, Rafa became the only manager in the history of Liverpool Football Club to win major trophies in both of his first two seasons at the club.

He got to the european cup final after three seasons. After the Chelsea semi final, Liverpool's new co-owner George Gillett said: "Rafa has been tremendous ... We knew of him but I don't think we realized how good he was, and not just as a coach. Not only was he a brilliant coach but he is a very sharp, savvy businessman. He knows what he wants and how to get it. The more we have seen of him the more impressed we have become." Following the defeat in the final, Benítez insisted his club's new owners had to back him in the transfer market in order for Liverpool to progress. It was reported Benítez did not feel he had the complete support of the new owners, a thought that was compounded by Liverpool's initial lack of activity in the transfer window, although the club played these rumours down.

He reached a european cup semi final after four years. Despite the lack of silverware, the main talking points were off the pitch, with Benítez in the middle of a power struggle between the Liverpool board.

He finished second after five years. On 18 March 2009 Benítez signed a new five-year deal with the club. Benítez said "My heart is with Liverpool, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal, I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying." With 10 wins in their last 11 games, Liverpool finished the season on a high, finishing second in the league for the first time under Benítez, four points off champions Manchester United.

He won the european cup after one season. The Champions League win made him only the third manager, after Bob Paisley and Mourinho, to win the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League in successive seasons and the second Liverpool manager (after Joe Fagan) to win the European Cup/UEFA Champions League in his first season in charge. Benítez' tactics were credited as a key factor in Liverpool reaching, and winning, the final, despite an unimpressive squad of players.

He won the fa cup after two seasons. In winning the FA Cup, Rafa became the only manager in the history of Liverpool Football Club to win major trophies in both of his first two seasons at the club.

He got to the european cup final after three seasons. After the Chelsea semi final, Liverpool's new co-owner George Gillett said: "Rafa has been tremendous ... We knew of him but I don't think we realized how good he was, and not just as a coach. Not only was he a brilliant coach but he is a very sharp, savvy businessman. He knows what he wants and how to get it. The more we have seen of him the more impressed we have become." Following the defeat in the final, Benítez insisted his club's new owners had to back him in the transfer market in order for Liverpool to progress. It was reported Benítez did not feel he had the complete support of the new owners, a thought that was compounded by Liverpool's initial lack of activity in the transfer window, although the club played these rumours down.

He reached a european cup semi final after four years. Despite the lack of silverware, the main talking points were off the pitch, with Benítez in the middle of a power struggle between the Liverpool board.

He finished second after five years. On 18 March 2009 Benítez signed a new five-year deal with the club. Benítez said "My heart is with Liverpool, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal, I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying." With 10 wins in their last 11 games, Liverpool finished the season on a high, finishing second in the league for the first time under Benítez, four points off champions Manchester United.

He likes long walks on the beach, dinner by candlelight.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Headshot wrote: »
    looks like the news we all feared the most , rafa could be gone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/02/rafael-benitez-liverpoo-quit

there's even some reports that he has been sacked

**** it anyway what will I do with all my Krap shirts krap.png
    :)

jokes aside it looks like liverpool have lost that stability

in the best guise of walter smith....

dissapointed.

his best results were against Everton, thick skinned Liverpool supporters will still probably be devestated if he goes.

Liverpool need a total revamp but im not bothered

Got a few good cup runs..good $hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

his best results were against Everton
    Good christ. The delusion is strong with this fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bothered enough to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ah ****, I've been in the Liverpool thread all night, didn't realize this was where all the **** was going down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What a great decision by the Liverpool Board.

No money to build a new squad?

How many managers will want this poison chalice right now?

No money + rubbish owners = No go zone for managers

Only that Liverpool is a very prestigious club I'd say they would find it hard to find a manager. I don't think, with the current situation, Liverpool will attract many top managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kevin Doyle.

noodler wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle.

Matt Damon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

noodler wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle.

brilliant!! Now forever to be said in the Matt Damon voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Peter Andre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

well at the moment the postition is we have very very very little cash and we could become 3 million worse off. we will be managerless and under the control of two greedy owners.

we do however have a great base squad

Reina

Glen
    Carra
    Skrtel
    ??????

Mash

Gerrard
    Aqua

Maxi
    Jovanovic

Torres

subs
    Diego
    Agger
    Kyrio
    Insua
    Lucas
    Kuyt
    Babel

also
    Yossi
    NGog
    Pacheco
    Kelly
    Darby
    Spearing
    Plesis
    LDV
    Nemeth
    Shelvey

no doubt we need a strong left back. 10 million should get us someone at least decent enough to do a solid job. but we have a good squad. maybe a new manager might get the best out of lucas and Babel??

we are still Liverpool fc with a huge pedigre and vast history. we still have been in 2 champions league finals in the last 6 years. winning one. we have new owners on the horizon so investment will be here in the next 12 months. we will have a new stadium. we have a brand new state of the art academy set up with King Kenny in charge. even Ian Rush is back at the club as an ambasador.

i dont see why any world class manager wouldnt want to come here.

the yanks are the only problem and they will be leaving as soon as someone comes forward to oust them(hopefully sooner rather than later)

all that aside. the manager that does win the premiership with Liverpool will forever be remebered in folklore. they would be loved forever by us fans and the media would turn them into the mesiah. that enough is a challenge worth taking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Paulegend wrote: »

we are still Liverpool fc with a huge pedigre and vast history. we still have been in 2 champions league finals in the last 6 years. winning one. we have new owners on the horizon so investment will be here in the next 12 months. we will have a new stadium. we have a brand new state of the art academy set up with King Kenny in charge. even Ian Rush is back at the club as an ambasador.

i dont see why any world class manager wouldnt want to come here.

the yanks are the only problem and they will be leaving as soon as someone comes forward to oust them(hopefully sooner rather than later)

Do you have some magic beans too?

As someone mentioned above,this is a poison chalice.No CL football,probably limited funds without selling,the real possibility of losing your 2 best players,2 owners that dont give a crap about the club for anything other than a money making vehicle.

Its a near impossible job no matter how you look at it.

On SSN now that he's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

New rumours -
    Gerrard put in a transfer request and said he would only stay if Rafa left!
    New owners would only buy if Rafa went before they would buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bijapos wrote: »
    £3m means he can start work at Inter or whoever next week.

£16m (or 20m) means he will be paid by Pool until 2014 but he cannot take up any job anywhere else, even if Real or Spain came up.

Liverpool are trying to pay him £3m to rip up his contract and walk out the door.

I'd imagine he'd just about struggle by spending his days kicking it up back in Spain and just collecting the kids from school for £76k a week.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement