Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

the question is ladies and gents

is there a manager out there that is guaranteed to be better than Rafa????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Don't often do this, but QFT or whatever that abbreviation is.

Look at you, all internetty and stuff. Didn't take long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He's come closer than any of the lads mentioned in Rics post. And has actually won a top european league. His record in Europe is also beyond question.

yes he came close but do you not think pool should of least kicked on this season and go for that 1st spot?

utd lost one of best players in the world and we were still competing for the PL, where as rafa bought an injury prone player and a RB who's very good but not 18m good. Money was scarce and rafa bought pretty bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

As much as I've taken slight pleasure in Liverpool's demise this season, it's quite clear (to me at least) that sacking Rafa will be a huge mistake simply because any shred of stability the club has in what is its most unstable period in history has now been torn out from underneath the club. I'm an avid United fan, and even I can see that. Some people need to look at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ardent wrote: »
    Neither is Benitez.

so, let me get this straight one last time.

because i still don't believe you can be serious...

you would rather spend money getting rid of a proven manager, who could continue to provide us with at least a bit of stability at this time where the club is being all but ripped apart by the Americans...

then spend money getting in a replacement, that will not be in the same calibre as Rafa, unless by some utter miracle Hiddink wants to come to us...

then give that manager transfer funds to the tune of, maximum, £5m, and tell him...'Win The Title'.

do you see what's wrong with this master plan?

Sweet Jesus, Joseph, Mary, Mother of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Paulegend wrote: »
    the question is ladies and gents

is there a manager out there that is guaranteed to be better than Rafa????????

Let me pose the question another way - is there any manager out there who could take our current crop of talented players and finish 7th in the league with them???

SlickRic wrote: »
    so, let me get this straight one last time.

because i still don't believe you can be serious...

you would rather spend money getting rid of a proven manager,

Proven at what? Failing in the Premiership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Let me pose the question another way - is there any manager out there who could take our current crop of talented players and finish 7th in the league with them???
    Thousands i'd imagine.

no, try answering the question.

you can't, can you?

• Advertisement

yes there are alot. but my point is who else can make the challenge for the league the way we did last year?? who else can bring european success??

the answer aint shaft

i just dont think Woy or MON can do as good as Rafa

im aware oneill finished higher than us but he isnt good enough to challenge for a top 4. he is a boring manager(even more so than our Rafa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

What else would you expect from someone who's just had the rug swept out from under his feet? Everything he has posted recently about Liverpool FC, Rafa Benitez and the clubs players has been proven wrong.

Getaloadofhisguy!

Ah now, he has to be a troll?

So. . . . Seriously. Were you dropped?

ardent dont pay attention to the naysayers

fight the good fight

Headshot wrote: »
    ardent dont pay attention to the naysayers

fight the good fight

Thanks. It's the same bunch of keyboard warriers from the Liverpool thread. I know well what to expect from them at this stage.

see Ardent, you're only support seems to come from a united fan who doesn't quite have the bollox to be the troll he deep down wishes he could be! that should tell ya something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

see Ardent, you're only support seems to come from a united fan who doesn't quite have the bollox to be the troll he deep down wishes he could be! that should tell ya something.

Oh no he ditnt!

at least now i know you ignore anything that's ever said to you.

he's won everything else except the Premiership basically. and he's won the League in Spain. you conveniently ignore all these things.

i've now officially lost patience.

i hope you're happy with Hughes, Hodgson, Grant, O'Neill or whoever the hell comes in. it could be back to Jurgen Klinsmann for all we know.

one last piece of advice i'm going to repeat.

we do not have the divine right to win the League, that divine right you seem to think we have, and anyone who doesn't do it is a failure. it's not that simple. it's just not.

now you can take a single sentence from this post and say something 'brilliant' like...'what attitude is that to have?', and in doing so choose not to deal with the issues put to you. but please don't bother.

you've clearly shown yourself up as someone who hates Rafa so much, that he would put the stability of the club he claims to support at risk, just to satisfy his unjustified hatred for Rafa.

Thanks. It's the same bunch of keyboard warriers from the Liverpool thread. I know well what to expect from them at this stage.
    You still haven't answered my question.

what!

bunch of ye are bloody pack of wolves going in for the kill

ok seems the debat is gone now so time to go and await a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg day tomorrow:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, while I accept the idea that the next manager won't necessarily be good enough or as good as Rafa, Rafa was not a victim of circumstance. He made plently, plently of mistakes.

what!

bunch of ye are bloody pack of wolves going in for the kill

i have no problem with people who want to see him gone, as long as they have a justified reason.

i have a problem with views that get backed up by nonsense like, 'it's been an abject 6 years'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Next person to call someone a troll will banned.

Report posts if you don't like them.

You still haven't answered my question.

Sorry, did you ask me a mature question somewhere? I must have missed it.

of course he made mistakes. no one, no where is denying that. people are just also recognising, in the grand scheme of things wrong with the club, he's pretty low down the list, in fact, he's one of the few positives about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Sorry, did you ask me a mature question somewhere? I must have missed it.

You sir, are unbelievable!

Stop dodging questions!

yes he came close but do you not think pool should of least kicked on this season and go for that 1st spot?

utd lost one of best players in the world and we were still competing for the PL, where as rafa bought an injury prone player and a RB who's very good but not 18m good. Money was scarce and rafa bought pretty bad

you still havent answered this alan
    jenno86 wrote: »
    You sir, are unbelievable!

Stop dodging questions!

he isnt the only one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Next person to call someone a troll will banned.
    Report posts if you don't like them.

here's me thinking trolling was just a personality trait :D

at least now i know you ignore anything that's ever said to you.

he's won everything else except the Premiership basically. and he's won the League in Spain. you conveniently ignore all these things.

i've now officially lost patience.

i hope you're happy with Hughes, Hodgson, Grant, O'Neill or whoever the hell comes in. it could be back to Jurgen Klinsmann for all we know.

one last piece of advice i'm going to repeat.

we do not have the divine right to win the League, that divine right you seem to think we have, and anyone who doesn't do it is a failure. it's not that simple. it's just not.

now you can take a single sentence from this post and say something 'brilliant' like...'what attitude is that to have?', and in doing so choose not to deal with the issues put to you. but please don't bother.

you've clearly shown yourself up as someone who hates Rafa so much, that he would put the stability of the club he claims to support at risk, just to satisfy his unjustified hatred for Rafa.

I'm happy to answer your questions and debate with you, as long as you're capable of maintaining a sensible discussion.

To reply to your above points. I would be happy with Hiddink as next manager. Failing Hiddink, I would be prepared to give Hodgson or even O'Neill a go at managing the club. We could be pleasantly surprised, Hodgson has done a super job at Fulham. What is clear, though, is that Benitez will not deliver the title at LFC.

We don't have a divine right to win the league, that is true. But we can at least try to maximise our chances of winning it.

you still havent answered this alan
    I've discussed that a thousand times on here. Yes, would've liked to kick on this season, however shift at the club last few seasons to more of an entity which exists to service debt combinm with the players and the manager underperformin this year. **** buzz, not a sackable offence however imo, especially when viewed against the turmoil that's been going on and coming after a season when they bothe performed so well.

• Advertisement

where did Fulham finish in the league this year Ardent, thought they did quite poorly in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hope for the sake of the manager he does win the league damn bloody soon, or the same Rafa type threads will be back. I give him 2 seasons at most.

How he'll manage it with no bloody money though?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm happy to answer your questions and debate with you, as long as you're capable of maintaining a sensible discussion.

To reply to your above points. I would be happy with Hiddink as next manager. Failing Hiddink, I would be prepared to give Hodgson or even O'Neill a go at managing the club. We could be pleasantly surprised, Hodgson has done a super job at Fulham. What is clear, though, is that Benitez will not deliver the title at LFC.

We don't have a divine right to win the league, that is true. But we can at least try to maximise our chances of winning it.

Christ not O'Neill anyway. Please not O'Neill.

where did Fulham finish in the league this year Ardent, thought they did quite poorly in the league.

Has a 5 year old hijacked your account ?

i hope if Rafa goes the next manager is English, the difference in the way they're treated by the media in England is quite extraordinary.

I've discussed that a thousand times on here. Yes, would've liked to kick on this season, however shift at the club last few seasons to more of an entity which exists to service debt combinm with the players and the manager underperformin this year. **** buzz, not a sackable offence however imo, especially when viewed against the turmoil that's been going on and coming after a season when they bothe performed so well.

you bought a player that is made of glass and when he was fit didnt play

i cant get my head around stuff like that, 18m CM (yes i know its instalments) doesnt get a game when fit, you got to be joking me,
    players underformed because there wasnt cover for gerrard, maybe if rafa got a fit and proper Cm he could of been bench gerrard a couple of times.

And another thing not dropping Gerrard for his awful displays this season really shows a lack of balls, he may get a drilling in the press etc but **** it your the manager of liverpool fc you should bloody care

Has a 5 year old hijacked your account ?
    No i was serious. Curious to know how Hodgson would ae a better bet in the PL than Rafa. Fulham have just had am average at best domestic campaign.

Mr alans sigs have gone :D

you bought a player that is made of glass and when he was fit didnt play

i cant get my head around stuff like that, 18m CM (yes i know its instalments) doesnt get a game when fit, you got to be joking me,
    players underformed because there wasnt cover for gerrard, maybe if rafa got a fit and proper Cm he could of been bench gerrard a couple of times.

And another thing not dropping Gerrard for his awful displays this season really shows a lack of balls, he may get a drilling in the press etc but **** it your the manager of liverpool fc you should bloody care
    Again, none of wat you mentioned means he should be sacked in my book.

• Advertisement

No i was serious. Curious to know how Hodgson would ae a better bet in the PL than Rafa. Fulham have just had am average at best domestic campaign.

Fair enough. I'll leave you to figure it out for yourself as I could not be arsed explaining it to you.

i always was.

if you'd started like below, it'd have started off a lot better.

Hiddink i think is unrealistic. he'd be on massive wages, and i just don't think he'd take the job. no more than a gut feeling.

Hodgson has done a great job at Fulham, and if he were the next manager, i'd be just about content. but he'd only be a stop-gap. plus you do realise he's plainly not in Rafa's league. take a look at their records.

MON is a poor man's Rafa, plain and simple. he's the most overhyped manager in history IMO, and would play a style of football similar to Benitez in defensive mode, and with less results (bar the season just gone, granted).

i don't think, bar Hiddink, any of those choices are worth sacking Rafa for, paying him compensation, in order to bring them in. plus they would have no money to re-build the squad properly, unless the Americans cough up mystery cash from somewhere.

i think Rafa was on the right track before this season. i believe he should have had the chance to put it right this coming season. if this coming season had brought a similar story to the one just gone, i'd have been on the bandwagon asking for his position to be called into serious question.

i'm not madly pro-Rafa at all; i just think he's one of the few good things about the club hierarchy right now, and he has the calibre to keep us competitive while we go through this rough period.

Fair enough. I'll leave you to figure it out for yourself as I could not be arsed explaining it to you.
    It must be his previous league campaigns in the PL or something. Not quite sure.

Again, none of wat you mentioned means he should be sacked in my book.

what about guaranteeing fourth Spot and finishing no where near it ?

what about guaranteeing fourth Spot and finishing no where near it ?
    Not at all. Managers say stuff all the time that doesn't come to pass, the media making such a big deal of it was quite amusing though. Mancini did the same for 4th and Wenger said they'd win something, where's the cries for them to get the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not at all. Managers say stuff all the time that doesn't come to pass, the media making such a big deal of it was quite amusing though. Mancini did the same for 4th and Wenger said they'd win something, where's the cries for them to get the bullet.

Did they promise it?

• Advertisement

Not at all. Managers say stuff all the time that doesn't come to pass, the media making such a big deal of it was quite amusing though. Mancini did the same for 4th and Wenger said they'd win something, where's the cries for then to get the bullet.

he can never do any wrong in your eyes

with his mad sub decisions to his very strange buys, i hate to be brutally honest but its no wonder he went but the bad thing is pool cant afford a great manager. so stick with a manager whos's bringing you no where or loose that stability

They were wrong to sack him but he kinda brought it on him self

Did they promise it?
    Are you a 12 year old girl? Does it matter? He was asked a question, he answered it in the way he thought best. I expect Shreeves to try and get him to pinky swear it next season if Rafa is still around

he can never do any wrong in your eyes

with his mad sub decisions to his very strange buys, i hate to be brutally honest but its no wonder he went but the bad thing is pool cant afford a great manager. so stick with a manager whos's bringing you no where or loose that stability

They were wrong to sack him but he kinda brought it on him self
    I disagree. And he quite clearly can and has done wrong in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hiddink i think is unrealistic. he'd be on massive wages, and i just don't think he'd take the job. no more than a gut feeling.

Hodgson has done a great job at Fulham, and if he were the next manager, i'd be just about content. but he'd only be a stop-gap. plus you do realise he's plainly not in Rafa's league. take a look at their records.

MON is a poor man's Rafa, plain and simple. he's the most overhyped manager in history IMO, and would play a style of football similar to Benitez in defensive mode, and with less results (bar the season just gone, granted).

i don't think, bar Hiddink, any of those choices are worth sacking Rafa for, paying him compensation, in order to bring them in. plus they would have no money to re-build the squad properly, unless the Americans cough up mystery cash from somewhere.

i think Rafa was on the right track before this season. i believe he should have had the chance to put it right this coming season. if this coming season had brought a similar story to the one just gone, i'd have been on the bandwagon asking for his position to be called into serious question.

i'm not madly pro-Rafa at all; i just think he's one of the few good things about the club hierarchy right now, and he has the calibre to keep us competitive while we go through this rough period.
    You've completely lost the run of yourself mate.

MON the most overrated manager in history? Thats going way ott.
    Hodgson not in Rafa's league? Like how do you go about proving that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Are you a 12 year old girl? Does it matter? He was asked a question, he answered it in the way he thought best. I expect Shreeves to try and get him to pinky swear it next season if Rafa is still around

Get over yourself mate with your 12 year old girl comments. You sit on one side of the fence and steadfastly shoot down anyone who opposes your opinions.

Back on topic, the man lost the team in a massive way this year. For that alone he has to go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement