Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

:eek::eek::eek:
    Rafa Leaves; Exclusive photos:

53msgg.jpg
    (Shamefully robbed off another forum)

Absolutely brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Jol, Pellegrini, Grant

Having been calling for Rafa to go for several months now, I can't exactly complain if he does.
    It will be, however, a very uncertain period until a successor is brought in.

If it's O'Neill or Hughes it will be a disastrous move.
    However, i could live with someone like Martin Jol, Pellegrini, Grant, even Hodgson

I think it's quite possible we'll see new owners before a new manager.

I can't see anyone being poached before the ownership is sorted, a caretaker or maybe someone who is out of work on short term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

:eek::eek::eek:
    Rafa Leaves; Exclusive photos:(

Shamefully robbed off another forum)

yeah, this one. About 10 hours ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Frisbee wrote: »
    As a hilariously bad choice?

You can't be serious that you'd want Carra, who has no coaching experience to replace Rafa??
    Kenny didn't have any when he took over.
    What experience does he need? A couple of years in the lower leagues to learn how to deal with players? renew contracts? Know how to find good players? How to work with scouts? How to set up training?

Keano had his few years and done nowt.
    Either you have it or you don't. Its not like Carragher has been living on the moon. He has been at Liverpool forever and knows everything about it including the existing players and staff.

Why the **** are Liverpool fans so bloody obsessed with having someone from the boot room as manager?? That's one thing about some fellow 'Pool fans that really ****ing annoys me.

We need a top class manager at Liverpool. IMO, Rafa was a great coach, not a great manager.
    Now were talking business.
    What top class managers are out there?
    Take the managers currently touted by the Paddy Power but ignore those 40-1 or higher as they are complete outsiders.
    Who in that list stands out?
    • O'Neill has done very little at Villa and manages teams prone to large spells of losing streaks.
    • Roy Hodgson is a good manager but is 62
    • Kenny hasn't managed a team in 15 years (ignoring his short spells at Newcastle and Celtic
    • Hiddink is with Turkey
    • Pellegrini - what exactly has he done?
    • Hughes - hah!
    • Bilic - no experience either
    • Van Gaal - staying with Bayern
    • Capello - just agreed to stay with England
    (you get the idea).

After Houllier went, I remember being very excited that either Jose or Rafa was coming to Liverpool. Both were top notch candidates with a proven track record, but this time I just don't see anyone that excites me.

Its not about a boot room manager, but its about continuity.

And if its not Carra, who is it?

MaceFace wrote: »
    Kenny didn't have any when he took over.
    What experience does he need? A couple of years in the lower leagues to learn how to deal with players? renew contracts? Know how to find good players? How to work with scouts? How to set up training?

Keano had his few years and done nowt.
    Either you have it or you don't. Its not like Carragher has been living on the moon. He has been at Liverpool forever and knows everything about it including the existing players and staff.

Now were talking business.
    What top class managers are out there?
    Take the managers currently touted by the Paddy Power but ignore those 40-1 or higher as they are complete outsiders.
    Who in that list stands out?
    • O'Neill has done very little at Villa and manages teams prone to large spells of losing streaks.
    • Roy Hodgson is a good manager but is 62
    • Kenny hasn't managed a team in 15 years (ignoring his short spells at Newcastle and Celtic
    • Hiddink is with Turkey
    • Pellegrini - what exactly has he done?
    • Hughes - hah!
    • Bilic - no experience either
    • Van Gaal - staying with Bayern
    • Capello - just agreed to stay with England
    (you get the idea).

After Houllier went, I remember being very excited that either Jose or Rafa was coming to Liverpool. Both were top notch candidates with a proven track record, but this time I just don't see anyone that excites me.

Its not about a boot room manager, but its about continuity.

Are you seriously suggesting Jamie Carragher? Christ, I've heard it all now. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this thread. The guy has no experience in management whatsoever. It would be the Premiership's equivalent of the Steve Staunton debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

[*] O'Neill has done very little at Villa and manages teams prone to large spells of losing streaks.

[*] Roy Hodgson is a good manager but is 62

[*] Pellegrini - what exactly has he done?

[*] Hughes - hah!

[*] Bilic - no experience either

Any of those 5 would be a much better option than Carra. If Carra took over I predict a 15th. place finish. I can only assume your on a wind up yeah? Or do you actually think that Carra would do a better job than Rafa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

quarryman wrote: »
    yeah, this one. About 10 hours ago....

Nein, this one, about 12 hours ago.

20 pages is a lot to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Almost any of the people you've named above.

I've come to intensely dislike Carra's attitude to other players on the pitch, constantly throwing the blame for incidents on other people. He'd be worse as a manager. He has no experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm going to give people some credit, and hope to all that is good and sane that the idea of Jamie Carragher replacing Rafa Benitez is one big joke.

and it's one that couldn't be further from funny.

jank if rafa goes pm me on your address and there will be a cheque for €100 on it's way to you.
    I think it's unfair for Dennis to leave seeing as I hijacked his bet(and thought I was on to a good thing) I will give a further €100 to a charity of janks choice instead of Dennis leaving

I personally think Dennis should leave. Pulling the "I bet access/money" card is used by people to get around arguments that aren't going their way. The offer of a bet is a gamble in itself, you're hoping the other guy pulls out which you then perceive to "prove you right" somehow. Now I know that jank instigated the bet, but mayordenis was more than hapy to enter it. He entered the bet, and it's looking very much like he's lost it.

Nothing annoys me more than people who make bets and then don't pay. It shows a massive lack of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gillington wrote: »
    I havent mentioned him but,SkySports website are saying he's in the running

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6186308,00.html

Good ol' Sky Sports. He actually isn't even manager of Turkey 'till August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

wow people suggesting carra, really showing their lack of football knowledge imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Avram Grant confirmed as Hammers manager, he's off the list...well in fairness its a list that Sky Sports' geniuses drew up.

Are you seriously suggesting Jamie Carragher? Christ, I've heard it all now. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this thread. The guy has no experience in management whatsoever. It would be the Premiership's equivalent of the Steve Staunton debacle.
    And as I said, Kenny didn't have any experience. Besides you used a really crap example as no matter how much experience Stan gets he will always be sh&^&!!
    Any of those 5 would be a much better option than Carra. If Carra took over I predict a 15th. place finish. I can only assume your on a wind up yeah? Or do you actually think that Carra would do a better job than Rafa?
    Why wouldn't Carra do a better job than Rafa?
    I really don't think that Rafa got the best out of any of the players, but this is not about Rafa, it is about his replacement.

Look, we have had 4 proper managers since Kenny left, and three of these had pretty good CVs. None of them done better than "pretty good". All experience does is allow you to learn the job but it certainly doesn't make you a good manager. You either have it or you don't, and I really think that Carragher has what it takes. The only question (and I am still questioning it) is whether he needs time to learn how the day to day duties of the role. He already has his B badges and was considering doing the A badge this summer before he was called back into the English squad.

Why doesn't he deserve to be mentioned?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And as I said, Kenny didn't have any experience. Besides you used a really crap example as no matter how much experience Stan gets he will always be sh&^&!!

Why wouldn't Carra do a better job than Rafa?
    I really don't think that Rafa got the best out of any of the players, but this is not about Rafa, it is about his replacement.

Look, we have had 4 proper managers since Kenny left, and three of these had pretty good CVs. None of them done better than "pretty good". All experience does is allow you to learn the job but it certainly doesn't make you a good manager. You either have it or you don't, and I really think that Carragher has what it takes. The only question (and I am still questioning it) is whether he needs time to learn how the day to day duties of the role. He already has his B badges and was considering doing the A badge this summer before he was called back into the English squad.

If he only has his B and even if he gets his A this summer it means he is still short of the Pro Licence which he needs to manage a team in the Uefa cup/CL. Or maybe you'll now suggest getting Stan in to manage the euopean games:rolleyes:

So for no other reason this rules him out. Apart from it being a ridiculous and verging on stuipid suggestion in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Because he has no managerial experience whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

best thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Well if Rafa goes and we lose some of our best players we are royally fcuked

I mean seriously, how will we manage when Lucas follows Rafa to Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Listen can everyone stop dancing round the Jamie thing. He is a really good defender who had many traits I admire but he is also a thick **** and would be one of the last people on the face of this earth who should be considered to take over from Rafa.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well if Rafa goes and we lose some of our best players we are royally fcuked

I mean seriously, how will we manage when Lucas follows Rafa to Inter

Poop+hits+the+fan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

opr wrote: »
    Listen can everyone everyone stop dancing round the Jamie thing. He is a really good defender who had many traits I admire but he is also a thick **** and would be one of the last people on the face of this earth who should be considered to take over from Rafa.

Opr

Must say, although I would not advocate him as a potential manager, that I have always found him to be quite articulate in interviews etc. Why do you think he is thick? - perhaps letting the accent sway you?

PS: Your signature is bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I see red cafe have an exclusive on the negotiations.:)

Here Rafa, take £3m and just get the hell out of here. Please.

- But my contract is worth £20m, pay me that.

- We can't, you've spent all our money on **** players and won feck all so we've nothing left.

- OK I stay.

- Please please please go.

- No.

- OK, you can stay, but we don't really want you. Every day you come to work expect to see us wave an angry fist at you.

- Gives me £40m to buy Bobby Zamora and Nigel Reo Coker, and everything will be OK.

- Please feck off.

noodler wrote: »
    Must say, although I would not advocate him as a potential manager, that I have always found him to be quite articulate in interviews etc. Why do you think he is thick? - perhaps letting the accent sway you?

I won't even bother replying to that post given your last comment. Your exactly the type of lowest common denominator who I would expect Jamie to holds lots of sway with.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I won't even bother replying to that post given your last comment. Your exactly the type of lowest common denominator who I would expect Jamie to holds lots of sway with.

Opr

:confused: you replied? Directly to it :confused:

Spud83 wrote: »

Facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Isnt it usually standard that a club pays roughly a years wages to sack the guy and not the full amount of the contract? So they get the best of both worlds, the club gets rid of the boss and the boss gets some money and is able to work somewhere else instantly as opposed to "gardening leave" (like Winston Bogarde) so this 3 mil offer would be fairly typical albeit on the low side probably to do with the clubs finances.

lordgoat wrote: »
    If he only has his B and even if he gets his A this summer it means he is still short of the Pro Licence which he needs to manage a team in the Uefa cup/CL. Or maybe you'll now suggest getting Stan in to manage the euopean games:rolleyes:

So for no other reason this rules him out. Apart from it being a ridiculous and verging on stuipid suggestion in the first place.
    Because he has no managerial experience whatsoever.

So experience is the only thing that makes this ridiculous? Seriously?
    The badges may be a problem, but Southgate or Zola didn't have a problem.
    Does Neil Lennon have them?

Take a few examples of managers who had no experience:
    Moyes - took PNE to Div 2 title in 2nd year.
    Hughes - took over Wales and done a great job
    Mick McCarthy - took Millwall to the playoffs as player manager
    Didier Deschamps - French league title in 2nd year as manager

I could put a list together of managers who have had loads of coaching experience and were shockingly bad, but what's the point.

So, apart from a lack of experience, why not include him in the discussions?

Spud83 wrote: »

It is pretty clear the essence of my post meant I wouldn't bother addressing his question. Pretty sure you know this already but something about when majority of people are posting in this forum their age mentality changes to that of a five year old. Thanks for pointing out what I did wrong.

Opr

Because, at the moment, he doesn't have the correct mentality to be a manager.

He'd be worse than Roy Keane, imo.

do you not remember him grabbing a team-mate by the throat at the end of last season, is that the type of man you want managing Liverpool.

I'm not saying that in a few years he may have calmed down/matured a bit, done his badges, maybe gained a bit of experience as a coach in the background at Liverpool, or some other club, and then take over as manager.

At the moment, it's a non-runner. But if you want to make a name for yourself and continue to beat this drum then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

[*] Pellegrini - what exactly has he done?

Time for me to bite I reckon. How about taking a team playing in city with a population of about 50,000 people, from the yoyo club of La Liga (they had never played in La Liga before 1998) to a Champions league Semi-final within 2 seasons, losing out on a final spot on penalties to Arsenal. Consistently had the team qualifying for the CL/ Uefa cup, and when he moved to Real Madrid they won a record number of points in their history (96), scoring a record number of league goals (102). Maybe you should research a little before making clueless comments like that ya?

Anywho, this thread is essentially close to exploding, so a little reminder to keep the argument civil. I know debating the same things over and over gets frustrating, but try not to resort to remarks like 'were you dropped as a baby' or 'are you a 12 year old girl'... :p Civil lads, civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah get a Jamie Carragher/ John Barnes double act to keep up the circus.

Des wrote: »
    Because, at the moment, he doesn't have the correct mentality to be a manager.

He'd be worse than Roy Keane, imo.

do you not remember him grabbing a team-mate by the throat at the end of last season, is that the type of man you want managing Liverpool.

I'm not saying that in a few years he may have calmed down/matured a bit, done his badges, maybe gained a bit of experience as a coach in the background at Liverpool, or some other club, and then take over as manager.

At the moment, it's a non-runner. But if you want to make a name for yourself and continue to beat this drum then go for it.

Des makes his play for the job. Ruthless.

eZe^ wrote: »
    try not to resort to remarks like 'are you a 12 year old girl'...

Unless directly addressing Frisbee :pac:

The Muppet wrote: »
    Des makes his play for the job.

My facial hair is better than Rafa's too

The Muppet wrote: »
    Des makes his play for the job. Ruthless.

:D, his formation change the other night to mirror Pool's current tactics back your argument up.

• Advertisement

My facial hair is better than Rafa's too

Don't think they could afford the compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Unless directly addressing Frisbee :pac:

Harsh Des, she might take offence to that, and considering now she's a mod, you could get smacked by the banstick. :p

:D, his formation change the other night to mirror Pool's current tactics back your argument up.

You only love it because you scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

This is the wrong question. Why include him? What qualities has he displayed that leads you to believe he is manager material? He's not the most tactically astute player, he's not a natural leader and he's not exactly a great communicator.

It is pretty clear the essence of my post meant I wouldn't bother addressing his question.

You addressed his question when saying that you think Carragher appeals to the lost common denominator. Thats was a direct response.
    Pretty sure you know this already but something about when majority of people are posting in this forum their age mentality changes to that of a five year old.

Yes and calling people thick as **** is very mature. Your mental capacity obviously far exceeds mine.
    Thanks for pointing out what I did wrong.

No problem, its what I do. :)
    Opr

This is stupid, we know you name it has it displayed on the left of our screens beside any posts you make.

• Advertisement

you could get smacked by the banstick. :p

Whip.jpg

now...Rafa's gone...erm...Carragher Kenny Barnes dreamteam imo

It's a rarity that must be thoroughly enjoyed when it happens.

WTF! You just said she is only 12! Kids these days :rolleyes:

Listen can everyone stop dancing round the Jamie thing. He is a really good defender who had many traits I admire but he is also a thick **** and would be one of the last people on the face of this earth who should be considered to take over from Rafa.

Opr

Opr

Ah I am sorry, I was only joking about your sig.

Again though, have always found Jamie to be more articulate than many of his fellow footballers - maybe it is the comments in his bio about Luca Neill?

Anyway - not manager material it is agreed but calling him thick as **** seems very unfair.

EDIT: It is "you're" btw - not "your" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So experience is the only thing that makes this ridiculous? Seriously?
    The badges may be a problem, but Southgate or Zola didn't have a problem.
    Does Neil Lennon have them?

Take a few examples of managers who had no experience:
    Moyes - took PNE to Div 2 title in 2nd year.
    Hughes - took over Wales and done a great job
    Mick McCarthy - took Millwall to the playoffs as player manager
    Didier Deschamps - French league title in 2nd year as manager

I could put a list together of managers who have had loads of coaching experience and were shockingly bad, but what's the point.

On the other side, why WOULD you include him in the discussions? What is it about him that you think could make him lead a team back up to the top of the league? What incredible methods does he have up his sleave to make him a viable candidate?

Seriously, the lower league club guys are not good examples - they are examples of why its good to drop down and get experience lower down.

Of the examples you listed, only Deschamps would have been comparable , except of course for the fact that it didn't happen. Deschamps starting managing in 2001 in Monaco and stayed till 2005 - not winning the league on any occasion. He then went to Juventus, where in fairness he did win the league (with a team of superstars in Serie B). And now, he has won Ligue 1 in france with Marseille.

So I guess you could say that he got better with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

you could get smacked by the banstick. :p

This is Laura's banstick
    113483_zauberstab_big.jpg

Anyway - not manager material it is agreed but calling him thick as **** seems very unfair.

Maybe he could take some of the players out the back and teach them some manners after a bad game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJxocLDfEA
    When my leg was broken in an horrific tackle by Lucas Neill in September 2003, my mates were ready to hunt him down if I gave the go-ahead.
    A few weeks later I received a phone call. “You won’t believe this, Jay. We’re in the Trafford Centre and Lucas Neill is walking straight towards us. What do you reckon?”
    Did I really want Neill to take a crack? “There’s only one problem,” added the voice. “Little Davey Thommo is with him.”
    That was that. I could hardly let one of my best mates, David Thompson, now a Blackburn player, become a witness to an assault. Besides he’d have recognised the attackers. The impromptu mission was aborted and I sent a text to Thommo telling him Neill should give him a hug of thanks.
    As word got back to Blackburn about the near miss, or should that be hit, their coach Terry Darracott, a Scouser, appealed to one of my friends to call the boys off. I agreed.

Opr

That story paints Carragher in a good light, not a bad one.

His scumbag mates wanted to beat someone up for something that happened on the football pitch, but he told them not to. So they didn't.

His scumbag mates wanted to beat someone up for something that happened on the football pitch, but he told them not to. So they didn't.

Just about to say.

Anyway if that is the sole basis for your opinion that he is thick then that is fine - I just wondered was there something you knew that I didn't.

I don't think so Des, read it again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement