Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Des wrote: »
    That story paints Carragher in a good light, not a bad one.

His scumbag mates wanted to beat someone up for something that happened on the football pitch, but he told them not to. So they didn't.

Sounds like the swaying reason was because he was with a mate of his though. Even the text implies if 'Thommo' wasn't there then Lucas would have been attacked. That's a pretty disgusting story tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

His scumbag mates wanted to beat someone up for something that happened on the football pitch, but he told them not to. So they didn't.

It also indicates that if Thompson wasn't there that Lucas Neil would have been going home in an ambulance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Opinions differ and that's fine.

Guess we should leave it their as its a ridiculous conversation given their is no way he will ever be in the running.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Carragher hasn't been named as manager yet and people are already getting the jibes into him. I think he'll be great and maybe get Stevie G as assistant. The dream team will lead us to the promised land!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

opr wrote: »

That's so ironic... look at him now 32 and off to the world cup

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i don't know guys i'm now convinced. I want Carra to get a life contract as pool manager.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

monkey9 wrote: »
    Carragher hasn't been named as manager yet and people are already getting the jibes into him. I think he'll be great and maybe get Stevie G as assistant. The dream team will lead us to the promised land!!

I hope to God that post is dripping with sarcasm???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well if Rafa goes and we lose some of our best players we are royally fcuked

I mean seriously, how will we manage when Lucas follows Rafa to Inter

Don't forget Dirk Diggler Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

where's the welcher crew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

only because another mate was there

i got the impression that if thommo wasnt with neill that day, carragher would have said go ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

eZe^ wrote: »
    Time for me to bite I reckon. How about taking a team playing in city with a population of about 50,000 people, from the yoyo club of La Liga (they had never played in La Liga before 1998) to a Champions league Semi-final within 2 seasons, losing out on a final spot on penalties to Arsenal. Consistently had the team qualifying for the CL/ Uefa cup, and when he moved to Real Madrid they won a record number of points in their history (96), scoring a record number of league goals (102). Maybe you should research a little before making clueless comments like that ya?

Anywho, this thread is essentially close to exploding, so a little reminder to keep the argument civil. I know debating the same things over and over gets frustrating, but try not to resort to remarks like 'were you dropped as a baby' or 'are you a 12 year old girl'... :p Civil lads, civil.
    Clueless? Well, okay, I underestimated his acheivement, but it does pale in comparison to what Rafa acheived at Valencia. Where did that get us?

This is the wrong question. Why include him? What qualities has he displayed that leads you to believe he is manager material? He's not the most tactically astute player, he's not a natural leader and he's not exactly a great communicator.
    Here is why I think he should be included in the shortlist:
    1. He lives and breaths football and knows more about the sport than anyone I know.
    2. He has been at the club for a long long time and knows everything about it (I meant the day to day running of the club)
    3. He would die for the club and winning is all that matters to him
    4. He is respected by everyone at the club and along with Gerrard he is a Liverpool legend.
    5. He has talked about going into management for a long time and has being doing work to achieve that, and obviously picked up a lot with the managers he has worked under.
    6. None of the other managers grab my attention. None of them will excite me if they were appointed.
    7. We will struggle to appoint any of the "top managers" due to the ongoing mess the club is in, and I would say it is likely Kenny will be given the job.
    8. If Kenny is given the job, would we seriously expect him to change the fortunes of the club. I don't remember hearing any stories of clubs trying to appoint him to be their manager, so if he isn't good enough for them, why is he good enough for us?
    9. There are many managers in the past who have had no experience and have done extremely well in a very short space of time.
    10. I don't believe you can learn to be a good manager. Either you have it or you don't.
    11. He knows a lot about English football and has been involved in it for a long time so obviously knows the way it is played. Getting in a foreign coach will obviously mean they will have to learn the problems of playing Bolton or Blackburn in November.

I am not saying we should appoint Carra, but he has to be discussed in terms of the new manager, and I think if they do go for Kenny, Carra should be in the new management structure where possibly he will succeed Kenny in due course.

Lets be serious and look at the negatives:
    1. He has no experience (which does not mean he is Stan)
    2. He can be aggressive at times which would make me worry he would be more like Souness than Jose. Fergie is a very aggressive person as well though.
    3. He lacks the proper badges for Europe (but so does Lennon afaik)

This is all I will say on the matter, as obviously I am on my own, but again, just remember that Kenny had no experience when he took over. Maybe Stan has ruined peoples opinion of appointing a manager with no experience, so I might suggest this on an English board and see if the outcry is as big (at least I won't be reminded of Stan there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

The Muppet wrote: »
    Des makes his play for the job. Ruthless.

Are you bring me as your assistant Gaffer!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

*Checks thread*
    *See Carragher being spouted*
    *Subscribes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Early betting for the job.............

Martin O'Neill 6/4f
    Guus Hiddink 3/1
    Roy Hodgson 4/1
    Kenny Dalglish 6/1
    Oswaldo de Oliveira 12/1

I hope Mr. Bean gets it!

Laois_Man wrote: »

Martin O'Neill 6/4f
    Guus Hiddink 3/1
    Roy Hodgson 4/1
    Kenny Dalglish 6/1
    Oswaldo de Oliveira 12/1

I hope Mr. Bean gets it!

Who the **** is he?

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »

Martin O'Neill 6/4f
    Guus Hiddink 3/1
    Roy Hodgson 4/1
    Kenny Dalglish 6/1
    Oswaldo de Oliveira 12/1

I hope Mr. Bean gets it!

Martin O'Neill?? Interesting. Unlike a lot on here, I wouldn't vilify the guy, I'd be prepared to give him a chance. Can he manage big-name, world class players though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

MaceFace wrote: »
    Clueless? Well, okay, I underestimated his acheivement, but it does pale in comparison to what Rafa acheived at Valencia. Where did that get us?

Duh? Valencia have always been a great team in La Liga. Rafa took over from a Valencia team that had made two consecutive CL finals, the team he inherited was already fantastic. Yes, Rafa added a tactical element that made the team more solid, but he also managed Valencia when Barcelona were going through the biggest transition in their history, and Madrid were failing as Galacticos. Manuel took over Villareal when Barca were rejuvinated, and became one of the strongest teams in Europe again.

Not trying to belittle Rafa's two league titles, which were very good, but the two managers are much closer than you seem to make out. Although I'd hate to see Pellegrini at Liverpool, he'd be destined to failure even quicker than at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

event wrote: »
    only because another mate was there

i got the impression that if thommo wasnt with neill that day, carragher would have said go ahead

That is very obviously the impression with Carragher saying that Neil should hug Thommo for being there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Who the **** is he?

Brazilian manager in the J-League. Won the FIFA Club World Championship with Corinthians 10 years ago

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rafa took over from a Valencia team that had made two consecutive CL finals, the team he inherited was already fantastic. Yes, Rafa added a tactical element that made the team more solid, but he also managed Valencia when Barcelona were going through the biggest transition in their history, and Madrid were failing as Galacticos.

This is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

1. He lives and breaths football and knows more about the sport than anyone I know.
    2. He has been at the club for a long long time and knows everything about it (I meant the day to day running of the club)
    4. He is respected by everyone at the club and along with Gerrard he is a Liverpool legend.
    5. He has talked about going into management for a long time and has being doing work to achieve that, and obviously picked up a lot with the managers he has worked under.
    All very nice reasons, but nothing that would really encourage me that he'd be good enough to improve Liverpool FC.
    6. None of the other managers grab my attention. None of them will excite me if they were appointed.
    Unfortunately there are very few exciting managers we could go for at teh moment, imo, carra is not one of them.
    7. We will struggle to appoint any of the "top managers" due to the ongoing mess the club is in, and I would say it is likely Kenny will be given the job.
    8. If Kenny is given the job, would we seriously expect him to change the fortunes of the club. I don't remember hearing any stories of clubs trying to appoint him to be their manager, so if he isn't good enough for them, why is he good enough for us?
    Kenny would not be a good replacement, and is very unlikely to get the job.
    9. There are many managers in the past who have had no experience and have done extremely well in a very short space of time.
    Unfortunately, the vast vast vast vast majority have Not done well.
    10. I don't believe you can learn to be a good manager. Either you have it or you don't.
    This is one of the most retarded statements I have ever read. Like, it's bafflingly ridiculous to suggest that one cannot learn to improve as a manager.
    11. He knows a lot about English football and has been involved in it for a long time so obviously knows the way it is played. Getting in a foreign coach will obviously mean they will have to learn the problems of playing Bolton or Blackburn in November.
    wtf does Carra know about organising the strikers or midfielders, or frankly anything other then defenders when playing against anyone from any country? For sucha tactical genius, he seems to not want to play football and instead hoof the ball as far up the field he can at every oppertunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I am not saying we should appoint Carra, but he has to be discussed in terms of the new manager, and I think if they do go for Kenny, Carra should be in the new management structure where possibly he will succeed Kenny in due course.

Lets be serious and look at the negatives:
    1. He has no experience (which does not mean he is Stan)
    2. He can be aggressive at times which would make me worry he would be more like Souness than Jose. Fergie is a very aggressive person as well though.
    3. He lacks the proper badges for Europe (but so does Lennon afaik)

This is all I will say on the matter, as obviously I am on my own, but again, just remember that Kenny had no experience when he took over. Maybe Stan has ruined peoples opinion of appointing a manager with no experience, so I might suggest this on an English board and see if the outcry is as big (at least I won't be reminded of Stan there)

All 3 negative points (in particular no's 1 & 3), when taken in isolation, individually outweigh all 11 positives combined imo.

The points regarding his knowledge of the English game and passion for the club could be applied to a lot of players at a lot of clubs who didn't end up managing their respective clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MaceFace reminds me of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Martin O'Neill the Favorite!!...prepare for long ball boring football which far exceeds anything Rafa's team ever produced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Ardent wrote: »
    This is true.

Your post's are just getting better and better.............

So Rafa winning La Liga with Valencia is no big deal as Barca were in transition and Madrid were faultering Galactico's........so it was basically a gimme those 2 years the dominant two teams were stuttering...........

Yet Rafa failing to win the Premier league to one of the most dominant teams in footballing history under Fergie(as much as that pains me to say) and to that of Roman's own version of the Galactico's, is just totally unacceptable failure on his behalf........

Rafa's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't eh:rolleyes:

Martin O'Neill the Favorite!!...prepare for long ball boring football which far exceeds anything Rafa's team ever produced!

th_128836230239480022.jpg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    th_128836230239480022.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm glad he's going or should I say about to go because at the moment it's not confirmed, I think we need a change, yes Rafa has done well with us and brought us to another level, but not the level we all wanted, I never liked his style of management but he's still a good manager and his style would suit Inter if he goes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not forgetting the inevitable return of

Emile_Heskey_280x39_716115a.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des,do you want a big red banner for Shels games....?

• Advertisement

Spud83 wrote: »
    Not forgetting the inevitable return of

Emile_Heskey_280x39_716115a.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The more I think about it, the more I want Hodgson.

He's been there and done that and I don't think would be over-awed by the pressure or by the Americans trying to push in.

What I'm afraid of is someone coming in and saying "Nah, Lucas, rubbish, Aquilani, crock ,NGog, nothing, Youth system - pah!". I want someone who can come in with an open mind to work with the resources that are already in place - that, for me, is vital. Hodgson is the one i'd most trust to do this, and provide a bit of stability. We already know he's very knowledgeable of our youth system (from him trying to steal players) which is another benefit.

I couldn't see him winning the league, but that shouldn't even be priority at this point - just not slipping any further and making sure we stay there or thereabouts that fourth spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Des,do you want a big red banner for Shels games....?

:D

That made me lol a bit.

We've just lost our manager too, so I feel your pain

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I want Hodgson.

He's been there and done that and I don't think would be over-awed by the pressure or by the Americans trying to push in.

What I'm afraid of is someone coming in and saying "Nah, Lucas, rubbish, Aquilani, crock ,NGog, nothing, Youth system - pah!". I want someone who can come in with an open mind to work with the resources that are already in place - that, for me, is vital. Hodgson is the one i'd most trust to do this, and provide a bit of stability. We already know he's very knowledgeable of our youth system (from him trying to steal players) which is another benefit.

I couldn't see him winning the league, but that shouldn't even be priority at this point - just not slipping any further and making sure we stay there or thereabouts that fourth spot.

Install him as a stop-gap for a couple of years until someone more high-profile becomes available??

Maybe................?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MaceFace reminds me of someone.

Is it yourself Des?

This thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester United Financial thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

. IMO Keano is an aggressive twat who is always likely to punch the face off someone who annoys him. Like Souness, he doesn't seem to understand you need to put your arm around players as well as give them a rollicking.

A lot of people would say the exact same thing about Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester United Financial thread

The lightweights appear to have given up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just to clarify, people are suggesting Carragher, as in Jamie Carragher the defender as the next possible manager of Liverpool FC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you can smell the trolling from this thread a mile away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm confused as **** with this, is rafa going to inter? I thought there was a 16million buy out for him under contract..

Has there been an official statement from the club.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I'm confused as **** with this, is rafa going to inter? I thought there was a 16million buy out for him under contract..

Has there been an official statement from the club.

No not yet. I'd say there will be one before the end of the weekend, though??

Official statement from LFC...LFC stars ready for WC..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No not yet. I'd say there will be one before the end of the weekend, though??

End of the weekend... today is Thursday?? what day are you on LOL ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, people are suggesting Carragher, as in Jamie Carragher the defender as the next possible manager of Liverpool FC?
    Indeed. Apparently he is the man to maximise the potential of limited resources under less-than-supportive ownership to prise the title away from the billionaire-owned, Torres-buying outfit from London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mike65 wrote: »

Good or bad thing?

At least if it was it would mean Torres, Gerrard and the rest would want to stay!

I really thought he would get another season but now the real uncertainty begins.

Bring back Sami H for a bit os stability - maybe a cheeky bid for Arbeloa too (not like Madrid seem to be making the most of him and he can play LB or RB (pushing Johnson forward).

Lets see, can I think of any other good ones?

JJJJNR wrote: »
    End of the weekend... today is Thursday?? what day are you on LOL ;)

Yes I know it is. I'd say it will all be finalised by Sunday - just in time for the Monday morning headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

just to say, i'm enjoying sitting back for a while.

this is all a bit epic.

SlickRic wrote: »
    just to say, i'm enjoying sitting back for a while.

this is all a bit epic.

Don't fall asleep.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement