Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa is gone.(mod warning @ post 762)

Comments

Wow, just read through all this. Sick post yank, fair play Kingshankly. In regards to other people who bet their access or money, a bet is a bet, you'd expect yank to keep to his side of it if it was the other way around. Your own fault for making it, so deal with it.

With all this the thing I want more than anything to come out of this quicker is new owners, do not want us to find ourselves in a positive like Leeds or Newcastle did when they had their season that got them relegated. A lot of people might not think it is possible but it can happen to anyone that gets themselves in a mess like this. I wasn't happy with Rafa this season personally(wasn't totally his fault but he did contirbute to how bad a year we've had) which I have stated but I would have liked to keep him on under the current ownership. Will just be a total mess now if they bring someone in under the current owners & I dont even want to think about it....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We need to hire in someone like John Delaney so he can search for another "World Class Manager".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dub13 wrote: »
    We need to hire in someone like John Delaney so he can search for another "World Class Manager".

LOL. Maybe he'll bring in Stan and Roy as a double act??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wow, just read through all this. Sick post yank, fair play Kingshankly. In regards to other people who bet their access or money, a bet is a bet, you'd expect yank to keep to his side of it if it was the other way around. Your own fault for making it, so deal with it.
    Who bet on their access privileges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Aidric wrote: »
    Who bet on their access privileges?

mayordennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is Stan available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

indeed.

full list (from what i can see):

mayordenis
    kingshankly
    ShamoBuc
    mike65
    Sir Gallagher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

taking a half day to sit in the garden to listen to fleetwood mac. good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Bottle of Bulmers with ice day alright

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Don't ruin it in here dude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

syngindub wrote: »
    Bottle of Bulmers with ice day alright

Nah, that was yesterday (for me). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Is there anyone but me who thinks Rafa could say no to the severance offer and stay?

All of the reliable sources - BBC, Guardian, Times seem to be suggesting that there is an offer on the table. It seems that a number of the less reliable sources have basically jumped on this and made the leap to the fact that Rafa will be leaving.

Basically it seems that the £3m offer is on the table because the board have lost confidence in him. Not 100% sure of the current fove man board makeup but I believe it's Broughton, Purslow, Ayre and one rep of G&H each.In a business sense they are probably more qualified than Rafa more in a footballing sense? I could well see Rafa laughing at them, turning down the £3m offer, coming out in the press and saying "I love Liverpool football club and I turned down the offer because I feel I'm the best man for the job. The board were trying to get rid of me because in my meetings I wanted assurances that any money raised from players sold this summer would be reinvested in buying replacements. Sure we had a bad season this season and I made some mistakes but I'm not the problem at this football club - it's the owners and given they currently have the club up for sale, I'm going to continue to do my job as best I can and then wait and see what happens when the new owners arrive"

Am I on my own in thinking such a thing is a possibilty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Albatross is wonderfully calming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scHKFwr0og

I'd leave if I were Rafa, the board has no confidence so why hang about to killed by a 1000 cuts? He can take the money and go to Inter or where-ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Actually nobody mentioned Trap for the job.

Great, great manager, much better than Benitez ever was or ever will be. He mightn't be interested of course he has the Irish job after all.:)

Is there anyone but me who thinks Rafa could say no to the severance offer and stay?

All of the reliable sources - BBC, Guardian, Times seem to be suggesting that there is an offer on the table. It seems that a number of the less reliable sources have basically jumped on this and made the leap to the fact that Rafa will be leaving.

Basically it seems that the £3m offer is on the table because the board have lost confidence in him. Not 100% sure of the current fove man board makeup but I believe it's Broughton, Purslow, Ayre and one rep of G&H each.In a business sense they are probably more qualified than Rafa more in a footballing sense? I could well see Rafa laughing at them, turning down the £3m offer, coming out in the press and saying "I love Liverpool football club and I turned down the offer because I feel I'm the best man for the job. The board were trying to get rid of me because in my meetings I wanted assurances that any money raised from players sold this summer would be reinvested in buying replacements. Sure we had a bad season this season and I made some mistakes but I'm not the problem at this football club - it's the owners and given they currently have the club up for sale, I'm going to continue to do my job as best I can and then wait and see what happens when the new owners arrive"

This would be awesome. However, i think Rafa must be sick of the state of things at the club, constant undermining and promises broken. He is a great man, but he ain't a saint, he can most likely walk into the Inter job-he'd be mad not to. I hope he is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mike65 wrote: »
    Albatross is wonderfully calming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scHKFwr0og

I'd leave if I were Rafa, the board has no confidence so why hang about to killed by a 1000 cuts? He can take the money and go to Inter or where-ever.

Why are you posting? or has the 100 bet being settled ? Although I supose it isn't official yet but what's your stance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No, I don't think he'd be a great managerial option. I mean, he doesn't even have any experience.

:)

RasTa wrote: »
    Why are you posting? or has the 100 bet being settled ? Although I supose it isn't official yet but what's your stance?

er, mike didn't bet his access did he?

Des wrote: »
    er, mike didn't bet his access did he?

I think there's a bit of confusion, as there was a multi post quote, which had Mike with one comment, and then a seperate untitled post which belonged to Dennis below it, I think some people are confusing both comments as being Mikes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

RasTa wrote: »

Rafa is still manager of Liverpool

No-one has lost or won the bet yet

curry-muff wrote: »
    Poor dennis and mike65 :pac:

Nothings happened yet and anyway if anyone really thinks I'm going to stand over a non monitary internet-bet they must be idiots.

I'll cope with your disapproval somehow

Also I don't remember making the challange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Think people are misreading this post.

Link

The second part was not posted by Mike65, it was a partial quote of Mayordenis

This would be awesome. However, i think Rafa must be sick of the state of things at the club, constant undermining and promises broken. He is a great man, but he ain't a saint, he can most likely walk into the Inter job-he'd be mad not to. I hope he is mad.

I'm not saying it's likely but it looks like a lot of people have jumped from severance offer on the table straight to Rafa gone.

Sit in the press conference and list out the following players who have left the club in 2009 and 2010

Alonso £30,000,000
    Keane £16,000,000
    Dossena £3,800,000
    Arbeloa £3,500,000
    Leto £3,000,000
    San Jose £2,600,000
    Voronin £1,800,000
    Mihaylov £1,500,000
    Hammill £500,000
    Pourie £150,000
    Buchtmann £100,000
    Hyypia 0
    Aurelio 0
    Pennant 0
    Martin 0
    Flora 0
    Ajdarevic 0
    Threlfall 0
    Oldfield 0

Players who have arrived at the club in the same time period

Aquilani £17,000,000
    Johnson £17,000,000
    Krygiakos £2,000,000
    Shelvey £1,700,000
    Rodriguez 0
    Mavinga Compensation
    Jesus Suarez Compensation
    Kohlert Compensation
    Sama Compensation
    Aaron King Compensation

"Part of the reason we signed Aquilani was because of the installments that Roma agreed to as our cash flow situation didn't allow us to stump up all the cash immedaitely. For Johnson we didn't have to pay Pompey that much cash as they still owed us £10m for Crouch's transfer fee and Pennant's loan fee. The deal was made more attractive by the fact that we knew Pompey were on dodgy financial ground and we weren't sure if they would go into liquidation or what and we would end up in a situation where we wouldn't know when we would get this money. All of the compensation players were 16except Mavinga who was 18 when they were signed so were not exactly on the hook for much in the way of money for them.

Just look at the number and quality of the players who have gone out and compare them to the players who have come in and ask yourself is it any wonder why we've struggled this season. The players left at the club can see this on the training pitch and know just how much the overall squad has been weakened."

Gillette and Hicks out.
    Rafa In.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Sayonara Rafa thanks for the fun times and Peter Green is Fleetwood Mac, anything else is just an imitation.

As it was mentioned above, I would just like to make a quick comment on the Crouch/Johnson move.

This, as it has turned out, was actually a stroke of genius/very good fortune.

Portsmouth owed us 10million. As events have transpired, we would never have seen this money, it simply would never have gotten to LFC, but instead we got a cut price deal on Johnson. Had we, instead, gone an bought another RB for, say, 5 million, we still would never have seen that 10 million return. This way, we've actually gotten partial use of that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I'm not saying it's likely but it looks like a lot of people have jumped from severance offer on the table straight to Rafa gone.

Gillette and Hicks out.
    Rafa In.

Great post MM, fair play lad.

Sayonara Rafa thanks for the fun times and Peter Green is Fleetwood Mac, anything else is just an imitation.
    Buckingham >>>> Green

Fleetwood Mac are brutal.

If Fleetwood Mac was a football manager they'd have a severance package on the table.

Fleetwood Mac are brutal.

If Fleetwood Mac was a football manager they'd have a severance package on the table.
    You have bad taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Buckingham >>>> Green

thats sarcasm.... right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

that'd be a great way to entice players to join in the summer and to make sure that any current players who are unhappy will stay

You have bad taste.

I do not, I still have The Benns on my favourite playlist.

101001 wrote: »
    thats sarcasm.... right.
    Not even a tiny bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MM, you should post more often.

I do not, I still have The Benns on my favourite playlist.
    See? **** taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sit in the press conference and list out the following players who have left the club in 2009 and 2010

Alonso £30,000,000
    Keane £16,000,000
    Dossena £3,800,000
    Arbeloa £3,500,000
    Leto £3,000,000
    San Jose £2,600,000
    Voronin £1,800,000
    Mihaylov £1,500,000
    Hammill £500,000
    Pourie £150,000
    Buchtmann £100,000
    Hyypia 0
    Aurelio 0
    Pennant 0
    Martin 0
    Flora 0
    Ajdarevic 0
    Threlfall 0
    Oldfield 0

Players who have arrived at the club in the same time period

Aquilani £17,000,000
    Johnson £17,000,000
    Krygiakos £2,000,000
    Shelvey £1,700,000
    Rodriguez 0
    Mavinga Compensation
    Jesus Suarez Compensation
    Kohlert Compensation
    Sama Compensation
    Aaron King Compensation

"Part of the reason we signed Aquilani was because of the installments that Roma agreed to as our cash flow situation didn't allow us to stump up all the cash immedaitely. For Johnson we didn't have to pay Pompey that much cash as they still owed us £10m for Crouch's transfer fee and Pennant's loan fee. The deal was made more attractive by the fact that we knew Pompey were on dodgy financial ground and we weren't sure if they would go into liquidation or what and we would end up in a situation where we wouldn't know when we would get this money. All of the compensation players were 16except Mavinga who was 18 when they were signed so were not exactly on the hook for much in the way of money for them.

Just look at the number and quality of the players who have gone out and compare them to the players who have come in and ask yourself is it any wonder why we've struggled this season. The players left at the club can see this on the training pitch and know just how much the overall squad has been weakened."

Gillette and Hicks out.
    Rafa In.

Sorry, whats that quote from?

A fair few of those players leaving had **** all to do with the owners though surely?

Keane?
    Alonso?
    Hyypia?
    Dossena?
    Voronin?

I know you are doing a purely comparative analysis there but it has to be said alot of the players on that outgoing list Rafa clearly didn't fancy.

Has he gone yet?

Rumours per chance? Great Album
    Nothings happened yet and anyway if anyone really thinks I'm going to stand over a non monitary internet-bet they must be idiots.

I'll cope with your disapproval someh

Also I don't remember making the challange.

Ain't old age a bitch.:)

event wrote: »
    that'd be a great way to entice players to join in the summer and to make sure that any current players who are unhappy will stay

Well the current players all have long-term contracts and even if they did agitate for a move there would probably be a better chance of the money being reinvested. Rafa could come out and say something along the lines of "until the new owners arrive we are probably going to be battling and if any player wants to leave now I will be disappointed but I will understand"

Given how little backing G&H have given Rafa recently I was pretty much only expecting to see Jovanovic and a cheap experienced left-back arrive this summer and Shelvey arriving has been a big bonus in my eyes. Seeing as Aurelio's departure has been pretty clear from a long way out I wouldn't be surprised if a deal had already been done for a LB to go along with Insua.

Given the Jovanovic deal was rumoured to be on hold at one stage because he wanted assurances that Rafa was staying, I'd be fearful that we would lose him if Rafa left. The only other player we've been linked with is Wilson who seems pretty keen to move but we've had a £2m offer turned down by Rangers. Another CB is hardly a necessity - it would be annoying to lose him but hardly catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

noodler i think you're missing the point, we didnt replace those players let alone improve on them - thats the point....

• Advertisement

There is no doubt Rafas downfall is due to his poor transfers , where the blame lies for that is open to debate.

noodler wrote: »
    Sorry, whats that quote from?

A fair few of those players leaving had **** all to do with the owners though surely?

Keane?
    Alonso?
    Hyypia?
    Dossena?
    Voronin?

I know you are doing a purely comparative analysis there but it has to be said alot of the players on that outgoing list Rafa clearly didn't fancy.

Sorry the quote was what Rafa could say hypothetical speech - should have been clearer.

Also I don't think Hyypia can be included in the Rafa didn't fancy column - he couldn't offer him a guarantee about playing time and couldn't give him a two year contract.

It would mainly be as a way of declaring war on the owners and on the notion that he has been backed in the transfer market recently. If the club weren't up for sale, I would say there wouldn't be much point but because it is I think it's a possibilty that Rafa could say feck em. Can't see them having the balls to fire him with the potential of having to pay out the £16m. Even if Rafa did go back in management what's to say he might not take a year or two out first?

The Muppet wrote: »
    There is no doubt Rafas downfall is due to his poor transfers , where the blame lies for that is open to debate.

Himself and his scouting team maybe?

I blame you and Ardent

Ain't old age a bitch.:)

Thats the thing, I wasn't entirely sure one way or the other. These days a sieve holds more information than my brain does. :p

I blame you and Ardent

LOL Thanks :D

I'd agree I think others may make a different aguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Also I don't think Hyypia can be included in the Rafa didn't fancy column - he couldn't offer him a guarantee about playing time and couldn't give him a two year contract.

No, but also wasn't sold underneath the manager or anything.

I get the absolute comparison though.
    noodler i think you're missing the point, we didnt replace those players let alone improve on them - thats the point....

Agree to an extent. I'd say the treatment of Keane didn't exactly help the owners losen the pursestrings.

I'd agree I think others may make a different aguement.

Ye can't blame the Yanks for everything that went wrong!? Rafa has to take some of the blame. After all, he - supposedly - was the one who was choosing the players.

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, I wasn't entirely sure one way or the other. These days a sieve holds more information than my brain does. :p

Join the club Mike , which can be a bit of a bind on the battle front. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement