Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sayings/quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

'I believe in the law of love.' Clarence Darrow, closing speech in defence of Henry Sweet.

Take away the right to say "****" and you take away the right to say "**** the government." - Lenny Bruce

The paper burns, but the words fly away. - Akiba ben Josep

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

nigs 2 dat
    its all good luck

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I can beat all of these. Here's poetry for you guys right here
    Shorty is an eeny meeny miny mo' lover...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

In line with Onion's video-game quotes:

"Respect has nothing to do with how many years you've been on the Earth- but you're probably too young to understand that." - LOZ: WW

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery."- David Copperfield (the book, not the magician)

I don't really have any others I like, apart from the usual Simpsons and Futurama funny ones, which I'll let someone else list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Tom Waits has some brilliant ones but I love this particular one.

"We are buried beneath the weight of information which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I can beat all of these. Here's poetry for you guys right here

That's definately going up!
    It's so deep and passionate :P

Thanks to everyone for your input, and keep 'em coming please :D

I'll put up a picture of the room when it's done, but it could take some time cause I'm writing out all the sayings really big and each one hasta have different lettering and stuffs, cuz us artists don't do stuff by half :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

if u put up 'nigs 2 dat' on ur wall u will be a lej 4 life

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

if u put up 'nigs 2 dat' on ur wall u will be a lej 4 life

literacycat.jpg

OT: ''An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind'' - Gandhi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

OT: ''An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind'' - Gandhi
    A blind world is an equal world.

"Remember to keep yourself alive,there's nothing more important than that"-Afani Shakur=2Pac's mother

"Life,Liberty and the Pursuit of Happyness"-Declaration of Independence

"Nothing can stand in the way of a million voices calling for change"-Barack Obama

"We've been warned against about giving people false hope,but In the unlikely story that is America,there has never been anything False about hope"-Barack Obama

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

A blind world is an equal world.

An equal world which never progresses, never evolves. Good point though, interesting thought :)

• Advertisement

Thought I'd share one of my more meaningful quotes with you lovely people;

'I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

"Tell me is something eluding you sunshine,
    is this not what you expected to see?
    If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes,
    You'll just have to blow your way through this disguise." - Pink Floyd (as if I need to tell you)

"At United we strive for perfection, and if we fail we might just have to settle for excellence." - Sir Matt Busby

"It's like...he was g...they just like....it was like..so hush-hush..they were so....quiet about it, and then the next thing you know..." Kim Deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." - Winston Churchill.

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it." - Mae West.

"If it has more than three chords, it's jazz. " - Lou Reed.

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. " - Oscar Wilde

"Taste every fruit of every tree in the garden at least once. It is an insult to creation not to experience it fully. " - Stephen Fry.

"I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all." - Bernard Black.

"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces." - Zapp Branigan.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

"NO!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.'

'NO!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.'

'NO!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'

- Bioshock 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

"At the heart of the ridiculous, the sublime." - Derek Mahon.

"Enjoy live's detours, besides, if you keep running straight all your life you'll eventually run into a tree." - anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I have taken to bookmarking quotes, if it sticks out, I mark it.
    Douglas Coupland(Elanor Rigby) :

Jeremy asked me if I liked my work.

"I think big companies are like marching bands. You know the big secret about marching bands, dont you?"

"No, what is it?"

"Even if half the band is playing random notes, it still sounds kind of like music. The concealment of failure is built right in to them. It's like the piano, as long as you only play the black keys, not the white ones, it'll sound okay, but on the other hand it'll never sound like real music either"

"How's your omelette"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

People like it when you tell them things, in suitable portions, in a modest, intimate tone, and they think they know you, but they do not, they know about you, for what they are let in on are facts, not feelings, not what your opinion is about anything at all, not how what has happened to you and how all the decisions you have made have turned you into who you are. What they do is they fill in with their own feelings and opinions and assumptions, and they compose a new life which has precious little to do with yours, and that lets you off the hook. No-one can touch you unless you yourself want them to.

It's from the book I'm reading at the moment, Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Quotes?

AllInOne said to me one night

"Sure you cant eat your cake and eat out all the girls":pac::pac:

I did lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

An aged man is but a paltry thing, a tattered coat upon a stick, unless soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing for every tatter in its mortal dress.

WB Yeats
    All of us every single year, we're a different person. I don't think we're the same person all our lives.
    Steven Spielberg
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
    Walt Disney
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
    Albert Einstein
    Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.
    Robert Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

"GROW UP, FINN, IT'S JUST A MOIST TOWELETTE!" -Kurt Hummel

Deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

illiop wrote: »
    "GROW UP, FINN, IT'S JUST A MOIST TOWELETTE!" -Kurt Hummel

Deep.

When it comes to Glee, there is one quote that reigns supreme over them all. One of my favourite lines from any TV show ever:

"I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark cold night, I’ll steal away into your home and punch you in the face. " - Sue Sylvester. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

When it comes to Glee, there is one quote that reigns supreme over them all. One of my favourite lines from any TV show ever:

"I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark cold night, I’ll steal away into your home and punch you in the face. " - Sue Sylvester. :D

Me and my friends are constantly saying that!!:D Class line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Goddamnit, that's a blatant rip off of a super similar quote I heard ages ago.
    But I can't remember where it's from, so can't prove it.

Heard a good one today..

There are many cases where a double negative makes a positive, but no cases where a double positive makes a negative...yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

The most important thing is to be whatever you are without shame.
    Rod Steiger

I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    W.B. Yeats

The day will happen whether or not you get up.
    John Ciardi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

Eighty percent of success is showing up.
    Woody Allen

I am at two with nature.
    Woody Allen

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

The man is a genius to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

"You're so beautiful - like a tree, or a high class prostitute"
    - FOTC

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Frankie Boyle- 'I would happily punch every one of you in the face.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

"Beat a dog for long enough and sooner or later he'll think he did something wrong"

"I want to tell her how hot she is,but I'm afraid of sounding sexist,she's so hot she's making me sexist,B*TCH"-FOTC

Advertisement