Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible challenge

Options
  • 02-06-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to some Pink Floyd, and thought "This is some great sh*t!! Bow could nobody not like this stuff, its great!! But maybe there are people out there who hate them :eek: I wonder is there any band the nobody doesn't dislike"

For starters, Thin Lizzy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I know lads who hate Thin Lizzy... I don't think there is a band that EVERYONE will love. Even the biggest bands in the world (at various times this has included: Metallica, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, U2, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc.) will all have their detractors, even when they are at their critical and commercial peaks.

I reckon it is, as the title suggests, an impossible challenge.

But I would take a good stab at guessing that maybe Guns N Roses (their music and such; not the latest faux-Guns line up that Axl has cobbled together) would be a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Hmmm.... personally I think Pink Floyd are boring as sh*te. But on the topic, I know people who can't stand The Beatles (not many though) and although I don't know anyone who 'hates' Led Zeppelin but there are plenty who just 'don't get' them.
    Who immediately sprung to mind were The Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk.
    But then there are plenty of people who just don't 'get' any kind of electronic music at all.

I just thought of one... James Brown!

If you don't dig James Brown you are obviously dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Eagles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I dislike several of the bands mentioned. It is an impossible task but a general theme of inoffensive musicians makes for an interesting thread. I think Daft Punk would be one of the safest bets so far. Perhaps the Stone Roses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Kold wrote: »
    Perhaps the Stone Roses?

I once knew a girl whose cousin's friend's brother didn't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

oasis :D

nah the who or the clash never heard anyone say a bad word bou dem

Daft Punk and the Stone bleedin' Roses???!?!?! Bluergh!!!

AC/DC anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

i can't stand AC/DC or GnR.i'm fed up with mainstream national radio thinking they are taking it to the edge by playing DC or GnR on a programme-"this will wake you up this morning" or "this will knock the cobwebs off ya!!" FCUK OFF

I think Daft Punk are def a safe bet

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Eagles?

The Dude hates The Eagles. I think the only musical act that EVERYONE likes is Bob Marley and the Wailers. I've never met someone who doesn't own Legend, not to mention not liking it.

• Advertisement

Reggae leaves me cold, so nope once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Dude hates The Eagles. I think the only musical act that EVERYONE likes is Bob Marley and the Wailers. I've never met someone who doesn't own Legend, not to mention not liking it.

Damn, i thought we had one here! Bob is definately close!

PS... i don't like Stone Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Queen :)

I despise reggae. Like the above, it leaves me cold and I don't see the point in it at all.
    K4t wrote: »
    Queen :)

I think we may have a winner........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

+1 for Queen.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Queen definatly has to be a runner, such a mix of classic songs and an outstanding frontman. Come think of it, never heard anyone ever say that they hate Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I dont hate Queen, but I dont like them either. They are very, very boring to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Michael Jackson?

The music, not the man. You gotta love his music.

Impossible indeed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nah, I reckon this is impossible.
    Of those mentioned so far, I don't like Daft Punk, The Eagles or The Clash. And I HATE AC/DC.

I really don't think there is one band who everyone doesn't dislike. Although I would guess that there are very few people who don't like The Kinks or R.E.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I agree with the gentleman who said Pink Floyd are boring as sh*te. Personally, I can't see how anyone could hate Rory Gallagher, not even PanterA, Metal isn't liked by everyone as we all know, but I never met anyone with an interest in music who hate PanterA. They're Madonna's, Kelly Clarkson's and Keanu Reeve's favourite band for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

+1 for Pantera. I dont like ac/dc, thin lizzy, or queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

The "White Stripes" possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I think everyone likes at least one Elvis song don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The "White Stripes" possibly?

I don't know anyone who DOES like the White Stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Such a band does not exist, which is a good thing. Why would you want to like something that everybody else likes, how boring would that be? Variety is the spice of life and all that.

And I can't stand Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

DazMarz wrote: »
    I know lads who hate Thin Lizzy... I don't think there is a band that EVERYONE will love. Even the biggest bands in the world (at various times this has included: Metallica, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, U2, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc.) will all have their detractors, even when they are at their critical and commercial peaks.

I reckon it is, as the title suggests, an impossible challenge.

But I would take a good stab at guessing that maybe Guns N Roses (their music and such; not the latest faux-Guns line up that Axl has cobbled together) would be a good bet.
    Are you serious? I hate Guns n Roses with a passion. That guy's voice is like razor blades slicin at my eardrums.

I think someone like The Flashbulb would be very hard to dislike if people actually had heard of him. Had him playing in my studio the other day and people kept asking what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 irjudge

Rolling Stones or The Who maybe.

The other thing is I've found that when people hate bands like the Beatles or Bob Marley or Queen they can be found humming one of their songs at some stage.

Advertisement