Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

T-Rex

Not that well known I suppose but their songs are excellent and timeless. Great band. Never heard anone say anything bad about them having listened to them. They also provide most of the soundtrack for one of my favourite films, Billy Elliot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I don't think you'll hear to many people saying they dislike Lambchop or Sigur Ros.

I can't explain why but I do dislike Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The thing about liking Daft Punk is, you're actually just liking lots and lots of other artists

;)

Such a band doesn't exist indeed, but all the suggestions so far are so.... Bland. Standard. Bands that you're 'supposed' to like. But what have AC/DC ever done that's really interesting? That's another discussion though. And also, the bands named so far are quite particular. Someone who's into classical or electronic music obviously isn't going to like AC/DC or Thin Lizzy, just as someone who's only into 'rawk' isn't going to like Daft Punk or The Stone Roses.

But there are bands that everyone could probably take some positives from. I'm not going to say absolutely everyone, but I reckon the majority of people could find something of merit in one Radiohead song. And you could take almost anyone to a Flaming Lips gig and they'd have the time of their life.

Nobody can argue with a good pop song. Super Furry Animals, The Beach Boys, Fountains of Wayne, Teenage Fanclub...
    GopErthike wrote: »
    I don't think you'll hear to many people saying they dislike Lambchop or Sigur Ros.

Hmm, Sigur Rós are very particular, aren't they? Not everyone's into the wailing/whale music stuff. I put on Takk really loud a while ago till my Mam told me to turn 'that awful noise' off. Some people :rolleyes: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

El Pr0n wrote: »

Hmm, Sigur Rós are very particular, aren't they? Not everyone's into the wailing/whale music stuff. I put on Takk really loud a while ago till my Mam told me to turn 'that awful noise' off. Some people :rolleyes: :P

Was going to say something similar about Sigur Ros, for everybody who loves them there's somebody who thinks they're unlistenable. Likewise with Radiohead, lots of people just find them a bunch of boring moaners.
    And while most people might have a great time at a Flaming Lips gig, they probably wouldn't appreciate their records to the same degree.

Also, people mentioning overblown 70s prog-rock like Pink Floyd or Queen. Do you know why punk happened??

Likewise with Radiohead, lots of people just find them a bunch of boring moaners.

The point I was going for with Radiohead was that their stuff is very varied. Their earlier stuff is so different to their current stuff, and all the stuff in between. Someone who's into classical stuff could well enjoy Harry Patch (In Memory Of), electronic guys could like bits of Kid A or Amnesiac, straightforward rock guys have The Bends and Pablo Honey.

• Advertisement

The point I was going for with Radiohead was that their stuff is very varied. Their earlier stuff is so different to their current stuff, and all the stuff in between. Someone who's into classical stuff could well enjoy Harry Patch (In Memory Of), electronic guys could like bits of Kid A or Amnesiac, straightforward rock guys have The Bends and Pablo Honey.

Fair enough, all that is true but there's still a huge amount of people who won't like them at all e.g. people who are into upbeat pop (to give one example), which lets face it, is an awful lot of people.

Fact of the matter, no musical act exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist who everyone likes. You can name every musician ever and you'd find somebody to come along and say they don't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Like I said before, Michael Jackson. Is there anyone that doesn't like his music?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Fact of the matter, no musical act exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist who everyone likes.

Not to split hairs, but it does open the answer up a bit. But the question is there any band that people dont dislike. You don't have to like the band, just not hate them!

Like I said before, Michael Jackson. Is there anyone that doesn't like his music?

Apart from a couple of songs like Billy Jean, I can't stand most of his music.
    Not to split hairs, but it does open the answer up a bit. But the question is there any band that people dont dislike. You don't have to like the band, just not hate them!

Fair enough, but i'd still contend that you'd easily find somebody who dislikes anyone you'd care to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

Johhny Cash. Liked by multiple generations and a very wide disperse of musical tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

The Jam? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Bootsy. wrote: »
    I just thought of one... James Brown!

If you don't dig James Brown you are obviously dead.

I think Bootsy nailed it pretty early in the thread. Anyone hear dislike James Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Stereophonics - I genuinely don't know anybody who dislikes them

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I was genuinely shocked to hear that people disliked reggae and Marley, It wouldn't be my fave music, but it is so easy to listen to.

PaulieC wrote: »

Lol.

Lol.

Alright boy - each to their own I suppose

Alright boy - each to their own I suppose

They're just so mind-burningly bland!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lucky you voiced your opinion, otherwise that Stereophonics claim was a dead-cert! :pac:

Meh, I like 'em think Performance & Cocktails is a great album tbh but not gona try change your opinion or anything, like I said - each to their own :)

Meh, I like 'em think Performance & Cocktails is a great album tbh but not gona try change your opinion or anything, like I said - each to their own :)

I enjoyed their first 2 albums actually.

After that though.................

• Advertisement

You have to be sh*tting me!!! PaulieC, give up on the sterophonics.
    Anybody here hate Nat King Cole??

Nope, i'll take it wherever i can get it!

Ah man, one of the absolute greats!

My apologies oh lord of musical taste I'll get onto that right now :rolleyes:

My apologies oh lord of musical taste I'll get onto that right now :rolleyes:

What you apologizing to Kold for?? LOL

What you apologizing to Kold for?? LOL

Ah leave Kold alone! :)

Right moving on from my mortal error of mentioning
    The Stereophonics
    Who doesn't like Bon Iver??

Myself and alot of my friends are large fans of his, think he's a very good artist tbh

Ah leave Kold alone! :)

Right moving on from my mortal error of mentioning
    The Stereophonics
    Who doesn't like Bon Iver??

Myself and alot of my friends are large fans of his, think he's a very good artist tbh

Your problem there is, he's hardly Elvis like, you'd be lucky to walk down any street and meet any ordinary Joe Soap who's heard of Bon Iver!

Sure, not even Bon Iver fans (like yourself) know that Bon Iver is actually a band, not a guy. The guy who they (you) think is Bon Iver is Justin Vernon, the lead singer of Bon Iver :pac:

Having said that......... what about Elvis?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Your problem there is, he's hardly Elvis like, you'd be lucky to walk down any street and meet any ordinary Joe Soap who's heard of Bon Iver!

Sure, not even Bon Iver fans (like yourself) know that Bon Iver is actually a band, not a guy. The guy who they (you) think is Bon Iver is Justin Vernon, the lead singer of Bon Iver :pac:

Having said that......... what about Elvis?

Fúck it - I was introduced to him as "you gotta listen to Bon Iver, he's claaaaaaaaaass!!" :mad:

I do see your point though - my bad! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix.. how somone could not like at least one of them I just don't don't understand!

• Advertisement

hon pa wrote: »
    The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix.. how somone could not like at least one of them I just don't don't understand!

My old flat-mate used to always say he hated The Beatles.

So i used to stick on the odd Beatles tune and catch him out. Say "Good song eh?"

Of course his response was always "Oh i love that song" to every one! Even after telling him he loved every Beatles song i'd ever played for him, he still claimed not to like The Beatles!

Advertisement