Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflatable Kayak ?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Planning to take my son (age 10) on the water. Spent some time looking for 2 man Kayak and am interested in the inflatables available - reasonable price, easy transport etc - looked at Sevylor Colorado or similar. Anyone got experience of these inflatables in Ireland ? Is there somewhere we could try these out (can only see these available on web)
    Intend using for light river or lake use - not rapids !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Not sure of where you can try them in Ireland I think i-canoe.com have afew Inflatable Kayaks.
    Perhaps a double sit-on-top would be your best bet as it is less likely to get punctured on the rocks while getting in and out of the water and will generally take the abuse alot more especially if your son and friends where to use it for say jumping into the water from a sit-on-top would be a much more stable platform. Just something to think about plastic lasts longer then rubber or materials used for inflatables.

Hope this helps
    Paddy
    irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Phathaus

Sea Eagle make good inflatable kayaks, they're quite popular in America. I'm not sure where you can get them in Ireland but if you're interested I know a kayak retailer in the states who might be able to get one shipped over for you.

I also tried an Advanced Elements one, they're really convenient, good lasting and fold up really small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If you just want it to mess around a sit on top would be better than an inflatable, inflatables puncture easily which can lead to them being quite dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smart Guy

Stay away from the sit on tops even the Sea Eagle ones. I have tried them all. The number one rule with the water is buy the best you can afford and dont forget a life jacket. I have several sit on tops and would highly recommend the Ocean Kayak range. The frenzy is a good all rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Unless you plan on just mucking around a few yards from shore in a sheltered area, stay away from an inflatable. There are some great sit on tops on the market nowadays, I've seen tandems for under €600 new.

It is possible to get good quality inflatables, particularly some of the US models, but they aren't cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Id agree to stay away from inflatable, try going for secoing hand boats or shop around for sit on tops. A lot of people go for tandem and larger sit on tops which are ok for lakes and flat but not so easy on surf, even low waves. There are new affordable sit on tops for as little as €350 out there
    Chris
    www.kayakhut.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Ex demo boats can be quite cheap sometimes too try The Great Outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pat.folan

I have a Sevylor Colorodo Inflatable and find it very good. It is virtually impossible to puncture and is very stable and roomy. Perfect for a father and son mucking about boat.

I have read very good reviews from people who have taken the colorodo down rapids, over small waterfalls, out on the sea (carefull about tides and wind!!!) without a problem.

I am less adventurous with mine. I have taken it out on lakes and quiet rivers. Nothing over a grade 2 or 3. The lake was quite choppy one day, waves up to about 4 foot high. It performed well. People in sit on tops and regular canoes/kayaks capsised but I was fine.

I have pulled it over sharp rocks, had a fishing hook stick in the side, had any amount of potential puncture situations and so far no holes.

It packs down to the size of a suitcase so is easy to transport in the boot. I love it. If you can find one for a good price I suggest you grab it with both hands.

Check out the song of the paddle forum in the UK for a lot of reviews/information on the Sevylor and other canoes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If you just want it to mess around a sit on top would be better than an inflatable, inflatables puncture easily which can lead to them being quite dangerous.

Not all inflatables are easy to puncture. I've had mine out in storms on the seas and lakes, smashed into rocks, dragged it over rocks and general river detritus with only cosmetic scratches. It isn't flimsy like a lilo or a pool toy.

Advertisement