Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet Waves guitar leads

• 02-06-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Over the years I've bought so many Planet Waves guitar leads that I've lost count. Every one of them has only lasted a few months and then the sound quality would either gradually diminish or they would just suddenly stop working altogether. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with Planet Waves leads or if it's me that's doing something wrong? I primarily play guitar at home but I do have a habit of leaving my leads near my feet and stepping on them.

Before anyone asks why I keep buying them when they don't seem to last it's because the nearest music shop is pretty crappy. There's not much else available except leads that are even worse quality or leads that are way too expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Over the years I've bought so many Planet Waves guitar leads that I've lost count. Every one of them has only lasted a few months and then the sound quality would either gradually diminish or they would just suddenly stop working altogether. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with Planet Waves leads or if it's me that's doing something wrong? I primarily play guitar at home but I do have a habit of leaving my leads near my feet and stepping on them.

Before anyone asks why I keep buying them when they don't seem to last it's because the nearest music shop is pretty crappy. There's not much else available except leads that are even worse quality or leads that are way too expensive.

I usually buy them. They just stop working after about 3 months or so. But, they have a lifetime guarantee, so just keep bringing them back to the store for a free replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I've found the classics ones dont last, but I had one of the higher end ones for ages until I melted it with a halogen heater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I usually buy them. They just stop working after about 3 months or so. But, they have a lifetime guarantee, so just keep bringing them back to the store for a free replacement.

+1

You only need to buy the first one. from then on the replacements are free.
    I've had a couple replaced, no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Do you need to have the packaging or a receipt to get a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I've had a planet waves lead for the past four or five years and never had any problems with it. Also have a lead, haven't a clue what the make is, since I bought my first electric, that I still works fine. I just keep mine on the floor and they have been stood on plenty of times, so maybe I was just lucky with what I bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I got one Planet Waves Classic lead a few years ago, nothing wrong with it now! I've only had 5 or 6 leads in my whole life, I think only one of them I've ever had to dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I've never had problems with them tbh. Lifetime guarantee sounds good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

every one of their leads i got broke after a short while instead and i eventually got fed up of having to go into the music shop for a free replacement since there isn't one close to me!i switched brands!

Do you need to have the packaging or a receipt to get a replacement?

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I would say without trying to sound smart my friend that you leaving them on the ground and walking on them regularly would damage them alrite.
    you wouldnt walk on your other gear so try and avoid walking on the leads and see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I got one Planet Waves Classic lead a few years ago, nothing wrong with it now! I've only had 5 or 6 leads in my whole life, I think only one of them I've ever had to dump.

+1.

While it's not a Planet Waves lead, I have had the same one for the last few years. I use it for home practice, rehearsals, and gigs. I have a spare, but have never had to use it. I cant understand why any reasonable lead should only last a few months, unless it's receiving really abusive treatment. In which case, it's not the fault of the lead.

What's the big attraction with Planet Waves leads anyway ? :confused:

Rigsby wrote: »
    What's the big attraction with Planet Waves leads anyway ? :confused:

They are a bit more expensive than generic non-branded ones...But they've a few neat features! The Classic ones have that sticky-out thing below the contact that makes the cable stick in better. The attached cable tie is super handy (although I'm sure other brands have that, they're not stocked in any shops in Wexford). I know another model by Planet Waves have a built-in silence switch. Although I've never needed to use it, the life-time guarantee is very re-assuring...

Also, I suspect it's even the only brand of cable in my local shop that makes ones that are longer than 15 feet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

They are a bit more expensive than generic non-branded ones...But they've a few neat features! The Classic ones have that sticky-out thing below the contact that makes the cable stick in better. The attached cable tie is super handy (although I'm sure other brands have that, they're not stocked in any shops in Wexford). I know another model by Planet Waves have a built-in silence switch. Although I've never needed to use it, the life-time guarantee is very re-assuring...

Also, I suspect it's even the only brand of cable in my local shop that makes ones that are longer than 15 feet...

While those features are good, I think I'd prefer reliability. Fair enough that they have a lifetime guarantee, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to keep replacing them every few months like some here have said. I always assumed a lifetime guarentee meant "made to last, or we will replace them".

While those features are good, I think I'd prefer reliability. Fair enough that they have a lifetime guarantee, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to keep replacing them every few months like some here have said. I always assumed a lifetime guarentee meant "made to last, or we will replace them".

They are reliable. I've only had 2 faulty out of a few I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. Those 2 were replace free of charge and no probs since.
    The one with the circuit break switch is the big reason I bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

If you force wind them up, they break inside.
    {not here you can't - feylya}
    The only way to get cheap & good quality is to make them yourself.

As I said, I've never needed to replace my one (after several years)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I bought 2 planet waves leads with a new half stack about 7 years ago. The amp has since gone tits up but the 2 leads I got with it are still in perfect working order! The only leads I've ever had to replace in that timeframe where a few lost patch cables.

Advertisement