Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prob with paint pealing on x1

• 02-06-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi lads pics below show what I noticed the other day after washing the car paint pealing away from bottom lip.

Am up the walls in work so haven't had a chance to get back to dealer with it but am fairly annoyed to see paint striping away on such a new car.

Will be ringing dealer tomorrow but should I be happy to leave them repaint it or will that even sort it?

2.jpg

1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The whole bumper would have to be resprayed I'd imagine... Assuming its not a stone chip or anything?

Keep an eye out for similar spots around the car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Drf not a stone chip area where paint has pealed is perfectly smooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Looks like that section may have been resprayed. Pressure washers tend to do things like that on poorly repainted plastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

TomMc wrote: »
    Looks like that section may have been resprayed. Pressure washers tend to do things like that on poorly repainted plastics.

+1 looks like the symptoms of a bad respray all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yep poor paint job, either the surface was not prepared properly or paint too thin.

Insist they put it right as there are NO impact marks/dents that I can see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Is this a brand new car? Its an X1 so I presume it is. If so it begs the question of why it was resprayed. can't see it coming from the factory what that problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

furtzy wrote: »
    Is this a brand new car? Its an X1 so I presume it is. If so it begs the question of why it was resprayed. can't see it coming from the factory what that problem

I dont think the car was REsprayed, buy sprayed.

This spray on this spot must have been poor from factory and any jet wash could easily pull it off.

These paint defects would be impossible to detect on the final inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

furtzy wrote: »

Mistakes do happen at car factories. With paint, with engines, with trims. If cars were perfect they wouldn't need warranties. This is a section of paint that's lifted off - it's not like the car has catastrophically failed. The Dealer will most likely repaint the bumper for him and the problem will be fixed in a flash. Not great that it happened - and if it was my car I'd be miffed, but it's not anything to loose sleep over either.

Thanks for all the replies lads. Car is going down to dealer for them to have a look at it in the morning. Car was demo model bur I don't think it was resprayed I'd say it's a defect from the factory.

From specking to a panel beater I know those plastics are a pain to paint onto. I presume at this stage the warranty will cover any repairs that need to be carried out.

Will hopefully know tomorrow exactly whats going to happen.

BMWs come with a 6 year paint defect warranty. Your dealer should give you a warranty book - it's part of the standards they have to adhere to. In there you find info on the 2 year warranty, roadside assistance, 6 year paint defect warranty, and 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Straight back to the dealers with it !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sorry to hear about the car alex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That picture is nuts, looks like the kind of result you'd see after someone sprayed a plastic bucket or the likes with a can of cheap spray paint.

Thanks for all the advice lads. The part in question was replaced by the dealer on Tuesday as it comes painted from factory. They gave me a Lancer while mine was being repaired but the less said about that the better.

Must say was impressed with the warranty service was not charged for petrol for hire car (they gave me a €10 voucher for fuel) arrived to collect my car Wednesday and it was washed and hovered so I'm a happy camper again.

Good to hear a happy ending. Care to name the Dealer so they can benefit from the positive press? Boards doesn't need to name only in the shaming section :)

As per your request PaintDoctor it was Boland's in Waterford.

Advertisement