Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping spot outside of Dublin - Help!!

Options
  • 02-06-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Really need some help here.

About 6 or so of us are heading off camping this Friday.

We were going to camp in Glenmalure but then someone said it's not safe place to park the cars.

Can anyone recommend a place for us to camp for 2 nights that is safe for cars and possibly remote enough for a small camp fire etc ?

We really need help on this one!! Our Glenmalure idea got shot down in the last minute...

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Really need some help here.

About 6 or so of us are heading off camping this Friday.

We were going to camp in Glenmalure but then someone said it's not safe place to park the cars.

Can anyone recommend a place for us to camp for 2 nights that is safe for cars and possibly remote enough for a small camp fire etc ?

We really need help on this one!! Our Glenmalure idea got shot down in the last minute...

Thanks!!

Hey, Glenmalure is probably as safe as anywhere, to be honest, especially since where you would be camping (assuming you want flat ground for tents) is only 2 minutes away from the car park.

Anyway, you can try Crone woods. There's always a good lot of people camping there in the summer, and it's already destroyed with rubbish and camp fires, but it's nice enough all the same. It's still not 100% safe, and it's much closer to Tallaght and all the joyriders and scumbags that come out from there through Glencree, but most people seem happy enough parking there. Don't leave stuff in your car, all the same.

Other than that, there aren't many places. Stay away from Glendalough, anyway, as you'll just be moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah I dont like the idea of being near the Dublin mountains.

Is there anywhere in the midlands that is nice for camping? There are lots of lakes and mountains there too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

What about the Slieve Bloom mountains. Anyone know of any nice places around there to pitch up a tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Here's what I posted on another thread recently about camping in the Sliabh Blooms. Glenbarrow is a great spot near the village of rosenallis. Just google it. The place I mention below is dead handy but I'm sure you'd find a suitable spot off the beaten track but it's a well walked mountain at the weekends though so pick wisely so a gang of hillwalkers don't disturb you :)
    adser53 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this part of boards but I camped in Glenbarrow for 2 nights last Summer.

There's very little in the way of handy camp spots however we did manage to find a great spot for our 4 man tent. It's a 10 minute walk from the car park but off the beaten track so you won't get any passers by.

The only problem is that you have to cross the river....

Park up your car and walk down the hill, the path bends around to the left with an embankment on your right and the river at the bottom. Cross the river here and beyond is a flat area, sheltered by trees and not overly visible from the main path. There's obvious signs of other campers though that left a mess behind so you may have company.

The river crossing wasn't a problem for us last year at the start of our weekend.... we arrived, crossed the river (only 6 inches of water), set up camp and went hiking as it started to rain. Came back, cooked dinner and went to sleep....woke up the next day to find the river had turned into a torrent and was over 3 foot deep! :( Didn't bother us but it could be dangerous for your little fella crossing back over if you get some bad rain.

Advertisement