Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

If I delete an XBL account, do I lose the DLC?

• 02-06-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I was just wondering about this. If I delete an XBL account that I downloaded some DLC with, will I lose the DLC or is it linked to the xbox itself and not the account? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DLC is linked to the account it was bought from as far as I know. So long as you have that account you can download the DLC again as many times as you like on any other another console if you lose it or get a new 360, but only the console your account is currently active on. It is not possible to have the same account active on multiple consoles at the same time.

But in saying that I have a ton of DLC on my 360 and my brother can use it all on his account on the same console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I don't think you can delete an XBL account.... :confused: Sure, you can delete it off your hard-drive, but it's still on their servers... nevermind :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Hi all! I was just wondering about this. If I delete an XBL account that I downloaded some DLC with, will I lose the DLC or is it linked to the xbox itself and not the account? Thanks!

AFAIK, DLC is tied to consoles in two ways.

1) The initial console the download took place on. This particular console has full rights to the DLC. Every profile on this console, whether xbox live or not, has access to the DLC/full version arcade game. This also counts if the console is not connected to the internet.

2) Other consoles - if you bring your hard drive with DLC to another console two things can happen. If you sign in under the profile you purchased the content with, and connect to xbox live then you will have access to it. If you do not connect to xbox live or use another profile on this console then you will have access to the trial versions where appropriate.

I would not delete an xbox live profile I purchased a DLC on. Sure, you've always got that console from #1 with full rights - but what if something happened to it and you got another one? The only way your new console can become like #1 is if you transfer the console licenses to the new console. This can only be done once a year (for many reasons) and can only be done by signing into your xbox live profile that you purchased the DLC on. No XBL profile, no DLC transfers.

DLC cannot be transferred between profiles ever. So I definitely wouldn't do it. Let the old profile lapse into a silver XBL account and then never use it and create your new profile or whatever. But don't delete it.

*Late Edit*

Just to make it clear, I am not talking about deleting your profile off your console. You can do that as much as you like since it's an xbox live profile. All you have to do is Recover Gamertag if you wish to use it again on the console, or if you wish to transfer DLC it's still available to be logged into on xbox.com . What I'm suggesting you don't do is log into xbox.com using the gamertag, hitting 'manage account' and pressing the Remove button..there's no going back from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Just change your Gamertag?

I'm assuming that you want a new Gamertag, so just change your old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Healium wrote: »
    Just change your Gamertag?

I'm assuming that you want a new Gamertag, so just change your old one

This will cost you 800ms points, just so you are aware.

OP are you talking about deleting the account off the xbox ? Yhis should leave any dlc intact, in the event you need to get the dlc back /redownload all you need to do is recover the gamer take again.

Also in the off chance that you want to change the email address tied to the account, this is also possible with out any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

calex71 wrote: »
    This will cost you 800ms points, just so you are aware.

OP are you talking about deleting the account off the xbox ? Yhis should leave any dlc intact, in the event you need to get the dlc back /redownload all you need to do is recover the gamer take again.

Also in the off chance that you want to change the email address tied to the account, this is also possible with out any problems.
    800 to change your Gamertag? Really? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Healium wrote: »
    800 to change your Gamertag? Really? :eek:

I know, sure if it was free to change i'd have done it long ago. this week I got prince of persia classic and las week monkey island for 400 points each in the deal of the week, I know what those 800 points were better spent on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Cheers for all the info lads! :). Much appreciated.

I did use it for a while some months back but I don't use it anymore since I created a new account. The idea was just want to remove the account from my X360, don't have to delete it completely. The ideal solution would be if I could transfer the licence to my current XBL account (to have it in the download history, should I get a new HDD or whatever) but I suppose it doesn't hurt to recover gamertag when I need to do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Exactly, remove the profile from your console. It only comes back into play if you change consoles or want to play your DLC on another console where you'll have to recover the gamertag. There is no way to transfer DLC to another gamertag (stops you passing old DLC to a friend for free...damn Microsoft).

Advertisement