Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes at Balbriggan train station

Options
  • 03-06-2010 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hiya all,

Just want to bring your awareness to the lack of safety around leaving bikes locked at Balbriggan train station. My boyfriend got off the train at 6pm this evening and the two bikes at the side of his were completely smashed up. He got off the train with the owners of the two bikes (they didn't know each other), and both had left their bikes there this morning. The Garda were called by someone and arrived as the train pulled in, but noone knows how long the bikes were left like that. The owners were telling my boyf that in recent weeks, both of their bikes had appeared to be tampered with, so they both spent a lot of money on new locks etc. So the robbers decided to wreck their wheels and saddles instead. This was in broad day- light today. They questioned the man who works in the train station and asked could they not point some of the CCTV cameras in the direction of the bike shed but apparently they can't. Both of their bikes were expensive looking, and my boyfriend's bike is not! He left his bike there overnight a few months ago and some fecker stole his saddle!!! Be warned!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Such a shame you can't even leave your bike at the train station anymore for a few hours, that's all you need when things are so tight these days. I was there when the Gardai arrived and they went off looking for a guy with boltcutters, but I'd say the lads were long gone. Iarnrod Eireann can surely afford to have a camera installed pointed towards the bike racks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts encouraging people to take the law into their own hands will be deleted, and may result in infractions and/or bans

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Unfortunately this is not a new thing. My husband and I have had three bikes stolen and the wheels, mudguards and saddles stolen or vandalised on our bikes over the course of three years. Each time it was reported to the station and the guards. Nothing has ever happened about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I can see your frustration. Some bikes can come to the cost of a car and insurance. A real pain. I'd keep hassling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i really dont understand how its so hard to protect this area? and if happening to so many people how has the situation not been resloved.

nothing worse than having that done to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

i cant understand how they cant put a cctv camera on the bike shed, surely in the renovations of the station they would have been able to include this in the budget. It would be good pr for Irish Rail as might encourage more people to use bike shed if they knew their bikes were secure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I was there that day too, it was dreadful. I'm on my third bike having had two stolen from balbriggan train station in the last 5 years, each time IR shrugged their shoulders... The Gardai were giving out too about no CCTV but they cant do anything either. Even the bike shed is a joke with glass missing and the rails not bolted to anything anymore...

Advertisement