Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First day using SPDs = lots of pain

• 03-06-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Ive egg beaters.
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_eggbeater.php

Mistakes .....

Not wearing knee pads. Full body armor would be preferable.
    Listening to radio on earphones instead of listening to the gears.

I changed gears on front and back at the same time and the chain came off.
    I hit the forest floor before I could disconnect.

I bravely tried to go over a large log, lost control and before hitting the deck cut my thumb on some sharp part of the bike near the handle bars, Ive yet to find where. I then kneed a flat rock.

There is something very odd about having your feet glued to a bike, lying on the forest floor with it and ......... still being unable to disconnect.

Its easiest on the down stroke, Ive a lot of technique to learn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a set of unwanted elbow and knee/shin pads. I was selling them with my mountain bike, but if you want them:

Elbow Pads and Knee/Shin Pads.

30 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'd practise on the open road before I'd use them off road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've never experienced this, just make sure the spds ate lose... they are there to aid pedal efficiency not strap you to the bike in a fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yes, rather odd. I've never had a problem being ejected from my spds when I go flying off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

your're not using spd's your using eggbeaters - for one

well thats it really change the title

spd = shimano pedalling dynamics

i have heard of eggbeaters being difficult to disengage (then ive heard of people with the same probs with spd's

lower the release tension ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gavin wrote: »
    Yes, rather odd. I've never had a problem being ejected from my spds when I go flying off the bike.

I have crashed a lot with both eggbeaters and SPDs and never stayed clipped in, but it might be something to do with the chain drop. Perhaps the resistance of the drivetrain helps them unclip.

Or maybe just bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

worded wrote: »
    There is something very odd about having your feet glued to a bike, lying on the forest floor with it and ......... still being unable to disconnect.

A friend of mine did this many years ago. Crashed off her road bike at speed. Lying on the road, still clipped in and wondered why she couldn't unclip. Turns out she had dislocated both ankles and had to unclip by hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have a set of unwanted elbow and knee/shin pads. I was selling them with my mountain bike, but if you want them:

30 euro.

If "worded" passes, I might be interested. What size are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

30 euro.

Hi,

What size are they please? What condition are they in?

Offer asking if they are in excellent condition and Large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

a couple of things about Eggbeaters - one, you can't adjust the release tension as on Shimano pedals. Also, depending on which cleat you put on which shoe, the angle you have to twist your foot to, to release, is different and this might make a difference to how easily you can unclip. Definitely a good idea to practice on the lawn at home first!

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A friend of mine did this many years ago. Crashed off her road bike at speed. Lying on the road, still clipped in and wondered why she couldn't unclip. Turns out she had dislocated both ankles and had to unclip by hand...

:eek: eeewwwww
    Shudder.

Advertisement