Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental market in D8

Options
  • 03-06-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey im living down in cork and i was looking at the prices of 1 bed apartments in D8 as a possible rental property.It could be useful in the future as well if i want to move up to dublin.I was wondering what is the region like from fellow boardsies and if it is a viable place for renting.Daft seems to have LOADS of apartments for rent in D8 and i dunno if thats a good thing

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=485009

Im only thinking along the lines of something like above,which is a small investment.What rent per month would you expect off the property above.

To get a load what do you think would be a minimum deposit for a house like above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Fondu wrote: »
    Daft seems to have LOADS of apartments for rent in D8 and i dunno if thats a good thing

It's a good thing for renters in D8.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

33 minute walk to O'Connell Bridge. They say 10 minute. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cork+St&daddr=Aston+Quay%2FN4&hl=en&geocode=FdTWLQMdWwig_w%3BFXwCLgMdMn6g_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&dirflg=w&sll=53.335425,-6.289179&sspn=0.001281,0.002897&ie=UTF8&ll=53.340611,-6.2677&spn=0.040997,0.092697&z=13

Looking at it long term, there is a possibility of the hospital moving to Tallaght, increasing the vacancy rate further.

I wouldn't be over-reliant on a tenant paying your mortgage. Bank would likely look for a 20%+ deposit on a short term.

Asking prices for renting are €600-800 per month, a little less is realistic. Deduct for costs and vacancies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'm renting at the other end of D8 and I love it here but Cork St is a terrible area. Take a drive through it the next time you're in Dublin and decide then if you'd be happy to invest a 6-figure sum there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fondu

Victor wrote: »
    33 minute walk to O'Connell Bridge. They say 10 minute. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cork+St&daddr=Aston+Quay%2FN4&hl=en&geocode=FdTWLQMdWwig_w%3BFXwCLgMdMn6g_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&dirflg=w&sll=53.335425,-6.289179&sspn=0.001281,0.002897&ie=UTF8&ll=53.340611,-6.2677&spn=0.040997,0.092697&z=13

Looking at it long term, there is a possibility of the hospital moving to Tallaght, increasing the vacancy rate further.

I wouldn't be over-reliant on a tenant paying your mortgage. Bank would likely look for a 20%+ deposit on a short term.

Asking prices for renting are €600-800 per month, a little less is realistic. Deduct for costs and vacancies though.

I cant go into all my financials however,i work part time for college and also have a healthy rental property in cork(no debts)earning say around 10k incl costs.

Are you sure the hospital is moving and is rent in that area ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Say you borrow 80 on mortgage you pay back at least 160k, assuming interest rates dont go up from 4 per cent.I think you,d need at least 20k deposit,try and get 25 year mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

latenia wrote: »
    I'm renting at the other end of D8 and I love it here but Cork St is a terrible area. Take a drive through it the next time you're in Dublin and decide then if you'd be happy to invest a 6-figure sum there.

Two words - **** HOLE.

I wouldn't recommend that ANYONE buy an apt down there unless you're from the immediate area.

The apartment linked about has been on the market for over a year. The only clientele you'll get to rent that gaff will be the HSE. I honestly mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The hospital will probably move - see here

Ah yes the 'city centre' is a bit of an elastic concept. It's 10 minutes away if you count St Patrick's Cathedral as being the beginning of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's near Dolphins Barn flats. That would make it a no-no for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Fondu wrote: »
    Hey im living down in cork and i was looking at the prices of 1 bed apartments in D8 as a possible rental property.It could be useful in the future as well if i want to move up to dublin.I was wondering what is the region like from fellow boardsies and if it is a viable place for renting.Daft seems to have LOADS of apartments for rent in D8 and i dunno if thats a good thing

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=485009

Im only thinking along the lines of something like above,which is a small investment.What rent per month would you expect off the property above.

To get a load what do you think would be a minimum deposit for a house like above.

Around clanbrassil st is nice. I wouldnt go further west. If you could afford portobello or Harolds cross you would have a way better chance of rental/resale.

Advertisement